8 month update - changing our outlook on life...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toocoys

Guru
Well my last update said we were moving back to land, but many things have changed since we last spoke. Mostly I’ve gotten sober and if any of you are friends of Bill you’ll know what a spiritual awakening is, and am working with a therapist to work out some issues. Turns out, I wasn’t unhappy with the boat, I just wasn’t experiencing life to the fullest.

Yesterday we moved the boat to a new slip, and I got the dinghy back in the water. We also watched our first sunset and it was glorious. How can someone be blessed with this life and not be thankful or happy for/with it?

Before/after and our first sunset (that we could clearly see)

Attachments

• 12056EE6-34F0-4F8E-A8D7-01C52C42E225.jpg
    12056EE6-34F0-4F8E-A8D7-01C52C42E225.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 182
  • 1972F401-517E-4956-9CE8-A48E6CDE3E40.jpg
    1972F401-517E-4956-9CE8-A48E6CDE3E40.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 182
  • DDF70F84-D892-48A5-9E37-E4588CF9B809.jpg
    DDF70F84-D892-48A5-9E37-E4588CF9B809.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 179
Congratulations!

NOW I know what "friends of Bill" meetings are on cruise ships! I always wondered who the hell this Bill was and how he got be on every cruise!!

:thumb:

It's tragic how much of life booze (and other things) has taken from so many people.

And so wonderful to hear of people who have taken it back.

That's awesome! Very glad to hear it. Keep at it. One day at a time.

Well done. Stick with it and you'll see many more of those magnificent sunsets, sunrises, smiles on faces around you, etc.

...so does sobriety and a spiritual path of your choosing!

Wifey B: :cry: Those are tears of joy to read your post for two reasons. You're making the decision to change your life and the fact you're willing to openly talk about it says that you truly understand the challenge you face, but you're determined and getting the support. :D

You're not the first to buy a boat or anything else hoping it will change your life. You're the fortunate one to realize now that the boat can't do that but you can and then you may enjoy the boat. :thumb:

This is an extremely personal subject for those of us who grew up with alcoholism around us, who have seen it's damage. We've also seen those who took the path you're taking, who had the courage you're showing. They've always gained our sincere respect. We'll be thinking of you and cheering you all the way. :)

Meet my HP - his name is Bob, Bills friend. Have one in every corner of work and home. Reminds me to get one for the boat.

Keep coming back- it works if you work it!

IMG_4157.jpg

You're making the decision to change your life and the fact you're willing to openly talk about it says that you truly understand the challenge you face, but you're determined and getting the support. :D

You're not the first to buy a boat or anything else hoping it will change your life. You're the fortunate one to realize now that the boat can't do that but you can and then you may enjoy the boat. :thumb:

Oh yes. Now that I’ve found the joy in life, I will go to any lengths to keep it. I’m just thankful that I didn’t do anything that I would have regretted in the long run....like moving back to land.

I just got 4 months sober on April 9th!

Last edited:
toocoys, Congratulations on 4 months!

Looks like a great spot to enjoy the sunsets.

toocoys, Congratulations on 4 months!

Looks like a great spot to enjoy the sunsets.

Oh man this spot is awesome! I’ve been wanting to get into this dock for some time now. Same marina but different dock. They would let me move back here for some time because there was too many Liveaboard’s on the dock.

We are right next to the bath house, have covered parking, and we have an entire peninsula of walking trails to walk the dog and enjoy the greenery.

Attachments

• C96A7769-2A16-4C8A-AE73-2C2136DADABC.jpg
    C96A7769-2A16-4C8A-AE73-2C2136DADABC.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 128
Oh yes. Now that I’ve found the joy in life, I will go to any lengths to keep it. I’m just thankful that I didn’t do anything that I would have regretted in the long run....like moving back to land.

I just got 4 months sober on April 9th!

Wifey B: :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:
:D:D:D:D:D

Where you live is so unimportant in the big picture though. Now your chances of happiness are there wherever it is. But seeing the photo you posted of the awesome spot is nice. You're in an awesome spot in an awesome spot. :)

Congrats, one day at a time. Enjoy ?

Congratulations and best of luck to you.

My best friend -- a guy that I've known for nearly 50 years now -- is struggling with alcoholism. I have tried for years to help him, and finally realized that I can't. He has to decide to help himself. He quits on a regular basis, and has been to rehab more than once, but it is always for other people -- because friends, family, etc tell him that he needs to. He has yet to quit because HE realizes the need for it. I keep hoping that he will see the need for himself, and decide to do something about it for himself, before it kills him.

Kudos to you, and best of luck in making it stick.

Congratulations and best of luck to you.

My best friend -- a guy that I've known for nearly 50 years now -- is struggling with alcoholism. I have tried for years to help him, and finally realized that I can't. He has to decide to help himself. He quits on a regular basis, and has been to rehab more than once, but it is always for other people -- because friends, family, etc tell him that he needs to. He has yet to quit because HE realizes the need for it. I keep hoping that he will see the need for himself, and decide to do something about it for himself, before it kills him.

Kudos to you, and best of luck in making it stick.

I know the story all too well. It's taken me 26 years of drinking to get honest with myself and admit the problem. There wasn't anything anyone could say to me until I believed it for myself.

It’s great to see the support here for somebody taking the road less travelled. Anyone with alcoholism in the family has a good idea of what you’re dealing with. Best wishes.

Boat forums and social media showcase the best part of our lives, but we all have our struggles. Lots of this in our family as well. It takes some guts to post stuff like this, and it helps others. Congrats to you and I wish you the best.

And, no doubt, there is often a lot of peer pressure in the boating community to drink.

I habitually drink a fake margarita ( water and key lime juice) that I tell everyone is real when in those situations.

Congratulations on your new life! :)

And, no doubt, there is often a lot of peer pressure in the boating community to drink.

I habitually drink a fake margarita ( water and key lime juice) that I tell everyone is real when in those situations.

That says something sad about the community that you would even feel the need to fake.

I wonder if there was once a time or places where the one faking it was the one with the alcoholic beverage trying to hide it.

I've been disgusted several times in various settings observing someone declining a beverage, for whatever reason they choose to, and others trying to force one on them. Another situation in which "no" should mean "no" and end the conversation.

That says something sad about the community that you would even feel the need to fake.

I wonder if there was once a time or places where the one faking it was the one with the alcoholic beverage trying to hide it.

I've been disgusted several times in various settings observing someone declining a beverage, for whatever reason they choose to, and others trying to force one on them. Another situation in which "no" should mean "no" and end the conversation.

Well, it’s been like that just about everywhere I ever lived. And, I’ve lived in a lot of places! :D

I haven’t found much peer pressure, it’s just such a BIG part of water life. All of my closest friends are very supportive, it’s just the occasional person who doesn’t know that can be a little intense. But I am not afraid to be honest and if necessary stern.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom