1st winter storm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I knew the winters would be cold and planed for that when I started to prep boat to liveaboard,it was something I had been planning for about a year and knew the first step was insulation,the thing I can’t figure out is so many other liveaboards complain of the inside of their vessels being extra humid in the winter,I’ve never had a problem with moisture,dampness or mold anywhere,even under my mattresses are dry,I don’t know what other folks are doin to create all this moisture

I knew the winters would be cold and planed for that when I started to prep boat to liveaboard,it was something I had been planning for about a year and knew the first step was insulation,the thing I can’t figure out is so many other liveaboards complain of the inside of their vessels being extra humid in the winter,I’ve never had a problem with moisture,dampness or mold anywhere,even under my mattresses are dry,I don’t know what other folks are doin to create all this moisture

It depends on a few factors. If your diesel stove is consuming inside air for combustion, it's pulling some new air through the boat all the time. That'll help keep humidity down. And if your boat is reasonably well insulated (including double pane windows or a cover over the windows), you'll get less cold spots for condensation to form, so the limit of acceptable humidity is higher.

it's all about the boat and how it's set up. our last boat (steel hull) was fairly well insulated above the hull sides, and used a forced air heater that pulled in outside air, not re-circulated. we had a nice custom made hood over the galley stove with a powered fan and a passive exhaust cap too. two solar and passive nicro vents in the pilothouse roof. we never had a bit of condensation except for maybe on the windows. no high humidity issues at all.
this is the first winter in out new boat and it's a whole different thing. the superstructure construction is much different, the condensation can happen much easier. no hood over the stove, no vents in the pilothouse roof. the heating system uses air handlers that re-circulate the air, so no new air is introduced. i have to run two dehumidifiers to keep the humidity down so we don't get mildew formation. over the summer, and in the next couple of years i'll be adding passive and active ventilation and putting in at least one duct for the saloon heating air handler to bring in fresh air. hopefully i can get the ventilation good enough to eliminate the dehumidifiers.

It is all what you get used to. When we lived in Tucson 50 was miserably cold. Now we live in Michigan and we work in heated storage on our boat. They heat it to 45 and I work in a T shirt and am comfortable. The last week our river has frozen enough that the snow mobiles are running up and down the river and they aren’t obeying the no wake speed either.

One of the fun things to spending a winter aboard in a cold climate, is the number of folks that will pop out in T shirts and shorts when the temp gets all the way up to 50F.

One of the fun things to spending a winter aboard in a cold climate, is the number of folks that will pop out in T shirts and shorts when the temp gets all the way up to 50F.

I'll never forget when we had a winter so cold here that I walked outside one sunny day in late February and thought "wow, it's kinda warm out". Took off my jacket, kept walking. Got warm and took off my sweatshirt, leaving just a t-shirt and jeans. Got back inside a few minutes later, looked at the temperature and realized it was 28* F :eek:

How do you handle pump outs in the frozen north?

I use to travel to NYC and remember so vividly an early spring day and I'm wearing a heavy coat while all the locals are heading the Central Park for the afternoon, wearing t-shirts and shorts.

Or the flip side, is you are used to the heat and humidity of Florida, the temperature goes to 60, and you have to wear a parka to keep from shivering. :socool::rofl:

That was me, waiting outside for class to start, reading a Stephen King novel, and wondering if I would freeze to death before they let us inside. I wear that same parka when I go skying now a days.... :rofl:

Now I go out side in cold weather and do not really feel it.

We were in Ireland one year in late June and early July. It did get a bit chilly in the evening and we would wear a light jacket. The locals were running around in puffy winter jackets. :eek: Like there was a blizzard on the way. On another trip to Ireland, in July and August, there was a heat wave and the locals were dying in the heat. It was 85F. :socool::rofl: We thought it was nice, even staying in houses with no AC.

I don't know what kinda of cheap a....ss asphalt they use for the road in Ireland, we read about it before we left, and the roads do MELT, and I do me MELT, in 85 degree weather! :eek: We were driving up a south facing hill and it was like driving on ice because the pavement was melting. :facepalm:

We though we knew potholes.... Ireland has some potholes. Lovely place. Great people. Can't wait to go back. If you rent a car, the insurance is expensive and a scam both for tourists and the locals, but buy the full package of insurance. You will USE it.

We were not on the road for more than 60-90 minutes, we had crossed into Northern Ireland for a bit, and saw a construction sign. :rolleyes: The sign was warning of road work with gravel and showed a truck with a bow wave. :rolleyes: Except the bow wave was the truck spewing gravel. :socool: Sure enough, a truck drove by as we were on a road that was being graveled, said truck spewed gravel like the bow wave on boat going full displacement speed, a rock hit and cracked the windshield. :facepalm:

Later, we were on what the Irish call a road. It really is a freaking trail. A bit of pavement with bushes growing out into the road with what they consider two lanes. Heck, on one road we were racing a sheep. :eek: Stupid rental car has driver assist that goes off whenever I get as close to the edge of the road as possible so we don't have a head on collision with oncoming cars. The driver's assist is going off because of the jungle growing into the road! :eek::rofl: Apparently they let the hedges grow like this for wildlife....

Car got a bit of faint scratches in the paint because of this but the insurance covered it at the end of the trip, along with the cracked window. Just handed them the keys and walked away.

Ireland is a lovely country. Driving around is wonderful and an experience. Just get the insurance. :rofl: You will need it. :D Just take shorts and a light coat for the extreme weather. :rolleyes::rofl:

Later,
Dan

We’re supposed to get another nor’easter Saturday that will bring 60 mph winds and up to 2 feet of snow,New England winter is starting to hold true to its reputation

We’re supposed to get another nor’easter Saturday that will bring 60 mph winds and up to 2 feet of snow,New England winter is starting to hold true to its reputation

While you are outside freezing your 'bits' and shoveling snow, keep thinking GLOBAL warming.

While you are outside freezing your 'bits' and shoveling snow, keep thinking GLOBAL warming.

This has been a very pleasant thread....let's not ruin it with politics, which is inevitably where any mention of Global Warming will lead.

This storm on Saturday should be an impressive one. In my area ( north of Boston ) they are calling for up to 20 inches of snow and 60-70 mph winds.

This has been a very pleasant thread....let's not ruin it with politics, which is inevitably where any mention of Global Warming will lead.

This storm on Saturday should be an impressive one. In my area ( north of Boston ) they are calling for up to 20 inches of snow and 60-70 mph winds.

Supposed to be cold here near Hollywood, FL. Low 70s :D :hide:

Was -24 this morning on my tower mounted weather station, and a neighbor showed me picture of his dashboard indicating -32. Weekend forecast for 12-18 inches of snow with winds 30-50 mph giving us the recipe for a Blizzard here in northeastern Maine. I'm putting the 3 pt hitch blower on the tractor (first time in 3 years), extra diesel fuel for tractor and generator, and snacks to allow hunkering down and watch the games...Now that I'm officially retired.:dance:..Hopefully the boat in Oriental, NC is OK, been below freezing several days, yard says still plugged in with heater in the engine room:facepalm:

Greetings,
Mr. OD. Better re-check that weather. Forecast to be 37F in Lauderdale Saturday night.

iu

Greetings,
Mr. OD. Better re-check that weather. Forecast to be 37F in Lauderdale Saturday night.

iu

No problem, I'll be in bed, under the covers. The ATs have two resistance heaters installed plus the traditional reverse cycle units it too. I guess I will go get the 3rd heater from the storeroom, just incase something fails.

Nothing new here to report. When we lived in New Hartford, CT, one winter in the later 80's we received 125 inches of snow. That's 10 feet folks. Eighteen inches? Big deal.

Yes the forecasts have finally agreed. 2' of snow and 60 mph winds are expected. The worst of it father east like Newport and Boston. Nor'easter and bomb cyclone are being referenced. Good thing about New England is that by Sunday morning, everthing will be fine. Just need to prep today and hunker down tomorrow, no need to panic or be out driving around on Saturday.

Yes the forecasts have finally agreed. 2' of snow and 60 mph winds are expected. The worst of it father east like Newport and Boston. Nor'easter and bomb cyclone are being referenced. Good thing about New England is that by Sunday morning, everthing will be fine. Just need to prep today and hunker down tomorrow, no need to panic or be out driving around on Saturday.

Wifey B: We have friends, who became friends by being parents of a friend, from Newport. They're complaining about the Fort Lauderdale cold while in their boat at their son's home on the water. Not complaining about missing 2' of potential snow or 11 degrees in Newport.

Wifey B: We have friends, who became friends by being parents of a friend, from Newport. They're complaining about the Fort Lauderdale cold while in their boat at their son's home on the water. Not complaining about missing 2' of potential snow or 11 degrees in Newport.

I'm not complaining. I like big storms and extremes. It's an adventure. Not to mention there are many days this summer that I would rather be in Newport than FL, but that's just me. I have a brother that was born in CT and lives in West Palm and he'd never move back. Me? I doubt I'll ever live in FL.

Well, the low temp for mile market 1075 on the water was 56F 2hours after sunrise.
You folks from up north are welcome to come down and sunbath on my deck.

Storm is rocking pretty good, winds woke us at 4:30. Have had some gusts up to 40 seems a steady 20-25. Still forecasting 18-24. Visibility is about 1000'. Will take a stroll down to the shore in a bit just to get out. Glad I am not one of the liveaboards in the cove, gonna get real cold after the storm passes.

As is usually the case, the predictions were worse than reality where I am. Last night they were predicting 12-18" ending tonight. Now it's back to 6-12" ending this afternoon. RI and Boston will still get the worst of it but maybe not the storm of the century the weathermen were getting all giddy about yesterday. Still a decent storm, but by this afternoon I bet I'll be out and take a ride down to the shore to check out the conditions. Very windy and cold, that's for sure. Wind chills at or below zero later today.

peak wind gust in Provincetown of 73.

It’s only 10 o’clock am and it’s so bad,I’m glad I added rubber snubbers on my bow and stern lines,the wind and cold are instantly turning everything into ice down here,this is one of the worst nor’easters I’ve ever seen,but everything is fine down here for now

It’s only 10 o’clock am and it’s so bad,I’m glad I added rubber snubbers on my bow and stern lines,the wind and cold are instantly turning everything into ice down here,this is one of the worst nor’easters I’ve ever seen,but everything is fine down here for now

Where abouts are you? It's pretty bad in CT but far from the worst I've seen. Farther East is getting it much worse. It is very cold with wind chills well below zero today/tonight. Hope you make out ok. You'll have a better story to tell than the FL boaters who are fighting to survive temps in the 40's today.

Lowest temp I saw, just south of Hollywood, (mile marker 1075 plus a little bit) the 29th was 50f. That was about 830am

I was wearing shorts and coat this morning. IF I venture out again, it will be in long pants but still NO SOCKS. :D

Good for you OD. It's got to get really cold here, even in the winter for me to put on socks. Today qualifies!

Back
Top Bottom