1st winter storm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We can argue about which is worse but both scenarios are bad. What I based my comment on was maybe 5 years or more ago when a terrible hurricane hit FL and a good part of the state was w/o electricity for many days. My brother who is a chef and owns some food businesses in FL spent at least a week cooking and delivering food to people w/o power and w/o any food. Food doesn't last long in FL in the summer with no refrigeration. I wasn't there but the conditions sounded worse than anything I ever experienced in my lifetime from a winter storm in terms of widespread misery. I'm sure there were no school sessions then either.

I didn't mean it as a "let them eat cake" attitude and apologize if it came off that way.

You should sweep the snow off the boat for at least 2 reasons. To reduce the weight topsides and prevent ice build up between the fiber glass the snow.

When we moved to Michigan from Arizona I bought a nice, so I thought, John Deere snowblower. It was horrible to use, my shoulders hurt so badly that I took it back and bought a Sears. It is very easy to use and will cruise through 12”+ easily. The neighbors come over when we get a big snowfall and want to borrow it. I can do our driveway in about 20 minutes if we get a big snow. But I can envision the day when the snowblower goes on Craigslist and we hire someone to plow the drive.

Not sure what the issue with the Deere was but I also have a Craftsman blower that is not real big but will work it's way through snow that is deeper than the blower is tall. Amazing.

Don't take it personally but your Deere story reminded me of a joke where a guy went into a store and the salesman showed him a new chainsaw and told him he should be able to cut 4 cords of wood in a day. A week later the guy brings it back and tells the salesman, as hard as I try I can't get through more than 1/2 cord of wood in a day. The salesman says, let me check it out. He takes it out back and starts it up and the customer says, "What's that noise?"

I know its anectodal, but I can personally vouch for Ariens Snowblowers. My dad used one for 30 years. Then it sat idle for 5 years after he passed away. Then I moved back north and used it for about 5 years. Then I gave it to a neighbor who used it for another few years.....a few sheer pins and some oil changes over the years and that thing just kept on chuggin'!!

Last edited:
Not sure what the issue with the Deere was but I also have a Craftsman blower that is not real big but will work it's way through snow that is deeper than the blower is tall. Amazing.

Don't take it personally but your Deere story reminded me of a joke where a guy went into a store and the salesman showed him a new chainsaw and told him he should be able to cut 4 cords of wood in a day. A week later the guy brings it back and tells the salesman, as hard as I try I can't get through more than 1/2 cord of wood in a day. The salesman says, let me check it out. He takes it out back and starts it up and the customer says, "What's that noise?"

I have had surgeries on both shoulders so I wanted one that was easy to steer. The Deere was advertised as Easy Steer. No way. Now my Craftsman steers easily. It is one of the big ones and will chew through any snow depths. Actually it does seem to work better the deeper the snow. It lofts it further if it is at least 5”+ deep.

Wifey B: Some people don't have the ability to prepare. Don't have fireplaces in their apartment. Don't have other sources of heat and some who try other sources end up with fires. Many suffer greatly. What about those using oxygen concentrators or other medical equipment? :ermm:

You obviously don't get it or have ever been through good survival training.

The people you are referring to either.

Survival in life can take effort.....resources are there for pretty much everyone if you look ahead and prepare for the worst. People often fail to worry about and fail to learn the most important things in life.

Laziness in life gets you no where and please don't lecture me about finances...so many ways to get money these days almost shocks me. Heck, I can sink my boat and start a go fund me page to put me back on my feet.

Last edited:
You should sweep the snow off the boat for at least 2 reasons. To reduce the weight topsides and prevent ice build up between the fiber glass the snow.

OD you are so right.
Last snowstorm I left the car out. The snow melted a bit then froze again, then when it was melting and I had it all cleared, my wife's feet got wet from the snow that went where rain would never go, and found its way behind the glove box where it could drip on her feet.
Boats have many opportunities for snow intrusion, and will take those opportunities even when you have prevented all avenues of rain intrusion.

Never had an issue with snow except in the cockpit where scuppers/cockpit drains would freeze and then cause excessive weight....but that is mid- Altlantic, USA.

Best advice nay be from those that get more than 200 inches of snow a year like in Prince William Sound, Ak.

You obviously don't get it or have ever been through good survival training.

The people you are referring to either.

Survival in life can take effort.....resources are there for pretty much everyone if you look ahead and prepare for the worst. People often fail to worry about and fail to learn the most important things in life.

Laziness in life gets you no where and please don't lecture me about finances...so many ways to get money these days almost shocks me. Heck, I can sink my boat and start a go fund me page to put me back on my feet.

Wifey B: First, I've survived things unspeakable so don't toss me in this. :angry:

Second, you look at all those living in poverty as being lazy and unmotivated. I don't buy that at all as I look at their poor education opportunities and I look at the conditions they've lived in their entire lives and just because I made it out and ended up with better, doesn't meant they all can and I took advantage of some inherent advantages many don't have as I was a young, attractive, blue eyed, blonde white girl. Yes, lots of ways to get money, but for those in the projects, most of the common ways are not legal or recommended. :angry:

I figure I can survive at my Atlanta condo, I have 2 Honda gasoline generators. I dont need to leave the door open a crack. I have 2 through the wall sockets on the outside and then on the inside. I have 2 heavy duty cords for outside and then 2 more for the inside. I also have chains and locks to prevent the gens from wandering off. The nearest gas station has a generator to power their pumps and store.
I figure I can power the fridge and coffee pot on one gen and the TV, couple inferred lamps for heat and a single burner to cook. I figure I can camp out in the bathroom.
What I really need are a couple of inline amp meters to keep an eye on the loads.
I am so used to observing the amp meter on the boat so I can do the "30amp dance" with style and grace. The inline amps meter for the gens at home would be the icing on the cake.

Last edited:
Wifey B: First, I've survived things unspeakable so don't toss me in this. :angry:

Second, you look at all those living in poverty as being lazy and unmotivated. I don't buy that at all as I look at their poor education opportunities and I look at the conditions they've lived in their entire lives and just because I made it out and ended up with better, doesn't meant they all can and I took advantage of some inherent advantages many don't have as I was a young, attractive, blue eyed, blonde white girl. Yes, lots of ways to get money, but for those in the projects, most of the common ways are not legal or recommended. :angry:

Unspeakable and survival are 2 different things. Angry?...laughable.

I too have lived through tough times...lazy can mean a lot of things....not surviving can be only one of many indications. I sympathize with poverty but I said don't lecture me on it...I get it as to what it is and isn't.

Sure a few are left behind, but not many.

You really think you are smarter than me or have more worldly experiences?

Maybe you do...but many never really fend for themselves. Just like any survival situation.

Many that have the most going for them are the first to go. True grit is what survivors have.

We all die...for all kinds of reasons and never necessarily when we want to...but many go long before they have to because of their own actions or inaction.

You are never going to convince me or others who have walked the path of otherwise.

Last edited:
Remember the TF rule about being nice. This is getting close to the edge.

I am being nice...you dont want to know what I really think...I know WifeyB doesn't. I am being nice, just Jersey blunt. :D

I am surprised she isn't telling us how to run our SE get together like she usually does but won't attend. :rolleyes:

Is telling me what my opinion is nice? With angry faces?

Some of the crap posted lately is far more out of line than this with nothing said or done. I am disagreeing, not calling names or worse.

Last edited:

Wifey B: You're correct, but when 150 people lose their lives in a Texas freeze and lives are lost every year in cold climates due to loss of heat and many face threats with storms this year, please let's not blame the victims. I think i'm luckier than those who lose their lives, but not smarter. It's a bit to me like blaming the passengers on the Titanic for making a poor decision. In retrospect, they did, but a lot of intelligent people made the same. People suffer in winter storms and let's not lose sight of their pain.

Elderly are the ones most hurt by storms like this. Many lack funds, don't have transportation, live in small apartments, have no family. Their stories are said, but they're real. :(

So, I'm addressing the storm, not other TF'ers now. I'm warm and in the Bahamas, but think of those suffering. :ermm:

I was speaking to both of you. Let’s drop the personal stuff, please.

Permit me to comment. I suspect each of us have experienced some 'low points' in our lives. The difference is how we handled these low points and what we learned from them.
One thing we all learned was, we didn't like the situation and vowed to escape. We did escaped and now we live a better life. What we experienced, matters only to us. How we escaped doesn't really matter except we did it.
We can swap 'war stories' to what end? The import point is, we have moved on. Sooooo, let's end and move on with the fun stuff.

To the moderator: Feel free to delete this if you wish.

Last edited:
There are these great new inventions called "snow blowers" that would knock out your driveway in minutes. I was a holdout for a long time shoveling. Now every time I use the blower I think it's the best money I've ever spent. And they cost less than almost any boating accessory!
These photos were taken at our home in Edgewater, Maryland in 1/2010. We got about 30 inches altogether. The snowblower you see in the picture? I bought it Torrington, CT the day before when I was unable to find a machine anywhere closer. Some folks called me crazy for making the 330 mile drive up and 330 back in the same day. You see, there had been a big storm (wet snow) of about sixteen inches earlier in December. That storm about killed my back and I swore never again. When that 30-incher was predicted, I got in the pickup and got myself a nice 12HP Ariens blower.
View attachment 125524
View attachment 125525

Attachments

• IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
J3sus H. Keerist, how did this thread go so off the rails in such a short time? It was just an innocuous talk about snowfall. Take a breath.

If I have to survive then let it be on the boat.

February is usually the worst month here in Massachusetts,but after these past 2 storms with gusts around 70,36 inches of snow total,single digits for days on end,and almost done with my 2nd New England winter as full time liveaboard,I have to admit it is so peaceful and quiet down here without the summer traffic,it’s so relaxing,and can’t wait to be full time cruiser

February is usually the worst month here in Massachusetts,but after these past 2 storms with gusts around 70,36 inches of snow total,single digits for days on end,and almost done with my 2nd New England winter as full time liveaboard,I have to admit it is so peaceful and quiet down here without the summer traffic,it’s so relaxing,and can’t wait to be full time cruiser

Sounds great. Enjoy it.

These photos were taken at our home in Edgewater, Maryland in 1/2010. We got about 30 inches altogether. The snowblower you see in the picture? I bought it Torrington, CT the day before when I was unable to find a machine anywhere closer. Some folks called me crazy for making the 330 mile drive up and 330 back in the same day. You see, there had been a big storm (wet snow) of about sixteen inches earlier in December. That storm about killed my back and I swore never again. When that 30-incher was predicted, I got in the pickup and got myself a nice 12HP Ariens blower.
View attachment 125524
View attachment 125525

Looks good. Best money you'll ever spend IMO.

I've been away a long time so maybe the change has been gradual but it really really surprises me how rude/crasely blunt one of you has just been!

I am so confused, it is global warming or climate change?

Back
Top Bottom