zinc chromate follow up almost 2 years

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
May want to sprinkle cayenne pepper in it to improve it even more....:D

I painted my running gear in July 2019 with the spray on zinc chromate

Not from Pettit $25 but from Lowes or Home depot for $7 used 6 cans

No anti-fouling paint over it. (quote)

Performing annual maintenance on dual Volvo IO's from 2004 through to 2017, I found that I could not keep the original Volvo paint on them even with a re-prime. I had touched up in a couple of spots in 2006 with zinc chromate (aerosol) finding the "touch up" stayed and protected where the other, more expensive paint brands came up short. After that I painted and touched up the drives with zinc chromate every Spring finding at haul out in the Fall, the sprayed "primer" held very well on its own. The color was odd, but underwater, who cares? I had stainless props that I didn't paint with very little or no effect.

i've used rustoleum cold galvanizing for 8 years on 2 boats. one in bahamas and fl and the other in ct/ri/ma/ny. in both places outstanding results. on our mainship i do prop, shaft, rudder, trim tabs. on the other boat rudders, shafts, and props.

prep for next season is light sand and spray 2 coats

Ok my error not chromate
Rust-Oleum 7585838 Professional Cold Galvanizing Compound Spray Paint,

20-Ounce

From HD $6 a can

Zinc chromate in aerosol is about three times that. Maybe it would work better than the cold galvanizing paint. Maybe it would work better than the Petit Barnacle Barrier. I used BB with reasonable results. May brother uses it UNDER Interlux 2000 primer and a couple of coats of hard bottom paint - he likes it. I laugh at him cuz my boat lives in a lift. :)

You must use a respirator and other protective gear with many marine products

Thanks, RARE (too rare these days) Common Sense.

Government banned CCA, chromated copper arsenate for treatment in lumber. So now we have safer, less toxic chemicals that make fasteners corrode, lasts 10 years vs 40 years, and is sold wet (because it is safe) and thus the lumber is heavier, and will warp, twist, check and crack. We have to cut down ten times as many trees, transport and mill many times the board feet, waste labor for temporary projects when we had a good, durable product to begin with.

I worked with it 25 years, never saw anyone eating the pressure treated lumber or sprinkling the sawdust on their pizza, tacos, or burgers.

The scariest words, ¨We are here from the government, and are here to Help¨

Not to compare studies of unsafe worker conditions in factories that used Zinc Chromates for decades without proper safety to the one ten minute exposure outdoors every 5 years. That is Wikipedia for you. Group Think and Scare Tactics.

Running gear and anything metal is always a challenge for anti-fouling. Been using cold galvanize on the props for years in South Florida with mixed results, Other metal has a barrier coat and high copper petit. Usually get 3 years. So reading stuff about silicone and that nothing sticks to it, I thought why not spray it on after applying what I currently have. So I found some teflon spray on the internet thinking it would be better than silicone. It's been about 9 months and the running gear is cleaner than it's ever been. So far stuff is just wiping off with gloves.

Recommending Rustoleum

After spending way too much on the Petit version I switched to Rustoleum Bright Galvanizing Compound on my running gear and have great success.

https://www.maxwarehouse.com/products/rust-oleum-professional-galvanized-bright-gray-galvanizing-compound-spray-20-oz?gclid=Cj0KCQjwjPaCBhDkARIsAISZN7Txbo3dEU7T4hAMLB1Tq5VT8BH6Gle17NT53EJfrW73LzEUG7kBdh0aAo0bEALw_wcB

I get that we're talking about cold galvanizing which is virtually nothing to do with chromates or zinc chromate, but the latter is really bad news. New Jersey is right up there with Kalifornia when it comes to environmental policy, and while I agree completely about the nine scariest words, NJ presents some very clear data here.

https://nj.gov/health/eoh/rtkweb/documents/fs/2031.pdf

Government banned CCA, chromated copper arsenate for treatment in lumber. So now we have safer, less toxic chemicals that make fasteners corrode, lasts 10 years vs 40 years, and is sold wet (because it is safe) and thus the lumber is heavier, and will warp, twist, check and crack. We have to cut down ten times as many trees, transport and mill many times the board feet, waste labor for temporary projects when we had a good, durable product to begin with.

Not true. CCA is still used today. Just banned is 1996 from general consumer use. Still used in the marine industry up to 2.5 saturation retention.

"I worked with it 25 years, never saw anyone eating the pressure treated lumber or sprinkling the sawdust on their pizza, tacos, or burgers.
The scariest words, ¨We are here from the government, and are here to Help¨"

BUT BUT then who would stop children from eating 40 year old lead paint from the walls?

Just curious, and not evident from responses or original:

Are these running gear examples dock queens, or actually used for propulsion ?

We actually live on a sailboat, and a marina is a very rare occurrence for us. Not so with motoring due to nonexistent or foul winds, however...

Thanks!

Thanks, RARE (too rare these days) Common Sense.

I worked with it 25 years, never saw anyone eating the pressure treated lumber or sprinkling the sawdust on their pizza, tacos, or burgers.

The scariest words, ¨We are here from the government, and are here to Help¨

Not to compare studies of unsafe worker conditions in factories that used Zinc Chromates for decades without proper safety to the one ten minute exposure outdoors every 5 years. That is Wikipedia for you. Group Think and Scare Tactics.

Not denying your experience, but I’ve seen lots of people who worked with pressure treated lumber take a break and eat doughnuts or their lunch without washing their hands. Do that for a year and you will have ingested a substantial amount of chemical.

Last edited:
Just curious, and not evident from responses or original:

Are these running gear examples dock queens, or actually used for propulsion ?

We actually live on a sailboat, and a marina is a very rare occurrence for us. Not so with motoring due to nonexistent or foul winds, however...

Thanks!

My guess is the best results are found on boats that move more than others. That's my experience and from reading anecdotal reports.

Even the best bottom paints see variations when the boat is used more/differently.

Even different slips in some marinas will produce different results for bottom paints.

Based on studies I have read, even Practical Sailor mag discussed the slight antifouling effects of zinc, but all one has to do is look at fouling on anode zincs to know it may work a little but doesn't give "outstanding" results all by itself. Running gear can stay pretty clean if regularly used, especially with any sort of slick surface. Thus some results when its smeared with all sorts of good, sprayed with lubricants, painted with a lot of things, etc...etc... but at least zinc does have some antifouling on its own.

Last edited:
I'm going to try the cold galvanizing spray this year. My guess is that for the boats on which it works well, it galvanically corrodes which causes it to ablate and shed growth.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom