Yup, Mr. Rocna.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good for him, considering that Canada, the US and Russia coast guards just to name a few are all operating those waters I’m of his opinion, they really aren’t Canadian waters. When Canada takes on the responsibility of being the sole police/ rescue/ surveyor/ trailblazing units then maybe just maybe they will have claim to those waters but they do not and are not looking to financially take on those burdens so they can pound sand so to speak. Last I remember the Arctic is not owned by anyone and 7-8 countries are all claiming it so until they figure it out and take on the responsibility financially that comes with it it’s nobody’s

I don’t doubt it but my knowledge of him is weak.

Anyone who frequented sailing-cruising boards in the mid-2000's (if I have my years correct) will certainly remember the Smiths. They seemingly popped into EVERY anchor thread to boast (somewhat confrontationally) about their anchors, and condemn others. If I remember correctly, there was even a time they raked a competitor for using inferior Chinese metal in their anchors and then it turned out Rocna themselves were actually using it (do I have that right)?

Anchor discussions now are so civil in comparison :angel:

Last edited:
It does raise an interesting question. On my trip in 2017 through the Great Lakes, there were points where I crossed into Canadian water. The agreement is that as long as you don't stop, anchor, or dock, Canada views it as not entering their country. There is no requirement to go through customs. When transiting the Detroit river between Erie and Huron, for a portion of the North bound channel, both sides are Canadian land and island. To go even further, you can use the Canadian lock at Sault Ste Marie to enter Lake Superior without clearing customs. If Canada has closed the border, but has not curtailed private or commercial vessels from transiting Canadian waters, it clearly appears to be a double standard at best.

This doesn't excuse Smith's behavior, but it's not quite as cut and dry as the government would like you to believe.

Ted

After finding out about this, they did take a reasonable stance. They didn't send him home, they instead agreed on restrictions, etc for the trip. He's wrong for doing it when Canada has already said no, but after that point it all seems to be well handled.

Good for him, considering that Canada, the US and Russia coast guards just to name a few are all operating those waters I’m of his opinion, they really aren’t Canadian waters. When Canada takes on the responsibility of being the sole police/ rescue/ surveyor/ trailblazing units then maybe just maybe they will have claim to those waters but they do not and are not looking to financially take on those burdens so they can pound sand so to speak. Last I remember the Arctic is not owned by anyone and 7-8 countries are all claiming it so until they figure it out and take on the responsibility financially that comes with it it’s nobody’s

Doesn't sound like you have any clue about Canada or the Arctic. Perhaps you should do a little research before posting.

Surely one must apply the rule of common sense occasionally. There are in all jurisdictions, exceptions that are accepted to the covid travel bans in any case. In this case one lone sailor, who has in effect been in quarantine several times over, sailing alone in one of the remotest parts of the world, and not putting in at any populated place - now, as agreed, not putting in anywhere, just how much risk of infecting anyone is there, even if he had the damn virus. Zero, zilch, absolutely no risk. So, why not just grant that he is an obvious exception and save all the angst and sabre-rattling..? I'm sure even MurrayM would admit this fellow is no risk to anyone. :flowers:

Surely one must apply the rule of common sense occasionally. There are in all jurisdictions, exceptions that are accepted to the covid travel bans in any case. In this case one lone sailor, who has in effect been in quarantine several times over, sailing alone in one of the remotest parts of the world, and not putting in at any populated place - now, as agreed, not putting in anywhere, just how much risk of infecting anyone is there, even if he had the damn virus. Zero, zilch, absolutely no risk. So, why not just grant that he is an obvious exception and save all the angst and sabre-rattling..? I'm sure even MurrayM would admit this fellow is no risk to anyone. :flowers:

How did I get dragged into this?

Think I'll follow my first instinct and put this thread on ignore, because it's only a matter of time before it unravels into yet another b*tch-fest with fully entrenched dogma spewers not listening to each other.

I doubt it Murray,
If it does it will be centered around Smith and I’d rather not that.
Covid is expansive enough to run Smith off.

How did I get dragged into this?

Think I'll follow my first instinct and put this thread on ignore, because it's only a matter of time before it unravels into yet another b*tch-fest with fully entrenched dogma spewers not listening to each other.
Sorry Murray, dragging you in was not the intent, but rather I mentioned you as someone with a particular interest in, and knowledge of covid, and specifically the situation in Canada, that's all. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom