YouTube Trawler Channels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not a trawler channel...but one I follow. A couple who are sailing “on a budget”. Some of the things they do make me cringe, but they obviously are not “wealthy” and seem somewhat inexperienced. But they are young and driven and seem happy in their adventures. To be young again!

She is cute as hell and he is sarcastically funny. They are both very self-deprecating and humble. I laugh, I cringe...I enjoy it.

https://youtube.com/c/SailingGoodBadandUgly

I commented to my wife how so many of these couples cruising channels feature a thumbnail of the wife in a bikini about 85% of the time. I'm not complaining, per se, but isn't a bit.... uh.... prostituting one's wife/girlfriend? Anything for a click, I suppose.

One that hasn't been mentioned I think is Sailing Parlay Revival. The channel follows a guy who was an engineer on a superyacht who restores a hurricane damaged catamaran with his friends with plans to sail around the world. Pretty genuine and watchable. They are on the grittier and down and dirty side of the population but I find them interesting to watch. the main guy Colin, who is the engineer is pretty competent.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYrqanbSklKodK2Onpt6KgA

Oh yeah, I noticed that Elizabeth on MV Freedom managed to get a bikini shot in for a New Year's polar bear plunge, but she didn't put it on the thumbnail, good for her. She could have easily as she pulled off a bikini pretty well and kudos for both of them jumping into the Puget Sound in the middle of winter!

Last edited:
A couple of Trawler only channels I really like are... :)

Searching for C-shels https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPZbQzqZ9jrofdxKYSsZRdA

These folks are on a Tollycraft 44' Aft cabin.

and...

Wandering Knapps https://www.youtube.com/c/WanderingKnapps

They are on a Marine Trader 47' Aft cabin with a flock of kids.

Both of these seem to be real people escaping the doldrum of middle class life in boats just like the ones many of us already own. Both cruise the Bahamas, and neither uses sex to attract viewers.

It makes it real if you could do it yourself, in your boat.

C-shels has a GREAT saying. "Don't die at your desk"

Something to think about guys.

Yes, I just watched most of one of his vids yesterday.... certainly a very different vibe. More of an old school discovery channel documentary than reality TV.
Well done. I found it very enjoyable...but not really what I'm after at the moment

I've tried watching some of these YouTube channels but none of them "stuck" with me.

Sometimes its because they are covering ground that we have already been over and doing so at a very light high level. Also (and mostly) because I find a lot of the voices whiny and annoying. I guess that's the reason professional narrators are chosen for their voice!

The one thing that has me switching off quickest is when they come up against a minor issue while cruising (especially in the islands) and make a huge deal of it. Like their world is going to end. I get it that they are targeting their friends and family and other land lubbers so that may work for them, but it can be annoying to us as cruisers.

I much prefer a good written and photo-blog!

Last edited:
I just stumbled across the channel "My First Boat":

A young lad having a good go at restoring a steel trawler. He's not getting everything perfectly right but he's making serious progress given limited tools and experience.

No bikini clad girlfriends nor merch store. Just 10 minute videos of what he has accomplished in the preceding week. Ideal binge watching.

https://youtube.com/channel/UCUsYuHgNS1aNglyj8-sInSw

My wife and I have been watching a lot of the Fleming Yachts videos lately. Very nicely produced with Fleming's superb narration.

I'd like to see more of the boat, but his music, videography, and narration is really something.

Yes agree, the next level production, including eloquent, articulate narration.

I commented to my wife how so many of these couples cruising channels feature a thumbnail of the wife in a bikini about 85% of the time. I'm not complaining, per se, but isn't a bit.... uh.... prostituting one's wife/girlfriend? Anything for a click, I suppose.

Some YT channel operators appear to have crew aboard just to pose in the bikini’s, I guess to disguise the fact that their content is limited, along with the promo shot headings, DANGER, IS THIS THE END FOR US?! YOU MUST SEE THIS! :rolleyes:
Then of course, there is nothing really going on...

I just stumbled across the channel "My First Boat":

A young lad having a good go at restoring a steel trawler. He's not getting everything perfectly right but he's making serious progress given limited tools and experience.

No bikini clad girlfriends nor merch store. Just 10 minute videos of what he has accomplished in the preceding week. Ideal binge watching.

https://youtube.com/channel/UCUsYuHgNS1aNglyj8-sInSw

I kinda like the bikini clad girls....

One of my favorites on youtube- Marty Zoffinger (Zoffingers) left Tampa a few weeks ago on the Great Loop. Lost an engine half way to Ft. Meyers already has a replacement going in at glades boat storage. Follow him on his adventure and make sure to check out his older vids. He is very creative and built a great little business on the Little Manatee. His show started years ago fishing and building custom boats and kayaks. Does some great work with king starboard. Also quite the angler. https://www.youtube.com/user/zoffinger

I was thinking the same thing. Just because I have a beautiful car at home, doesn’t mean I can’t look at and appreciate the newer models. As long as I don’t take one out for a test drive...

:popcorn:

Me too but it becomes tiring when the site pretends to be about boating but only offers posed thumbnails and manufactured dramas. If that's what I want, I'd much prefer a site like Sea Doodles where Bobby is pretty upfront about cupsize being a qualification to get filmed on his boat. And there is nothing wrong with that.

The channel I attached has none of these. Just a young guy doing his best to refit his new to him boat

I was thinking the same thing. Just because I have a beautiful car at home, doesn’t mean I can’t look at and appreciate the newer models. As long as I don’t take one out for a test drive...

:popcorn:

My friend's wife used to say, "You can get your appetite anywhere you want, just as long as you come home to eat."

One of my favorites on youtube- Marty Zoffinger (Zoffingers) left Tampa a few weeks ago on the Great Loop. Lost an engine half way to Ft. Meyers already has a replacement going in at glades boat storage. Follow him on his adventure and make sure to check out his older vids. He is very creative and built a great little business on the Little Manatee. His show started years ago fishing and building custom boats and kayaks. Does some great work with king starboard. Also quite the angler. https://www.youtube.com/user/zoffinger

Watched one episode...preparations for the great loop. Only just based on that one, I'm going to start watching for a bit...thanks.
The tiki party barge thing would have been more appealing to me in another younger life..but I'm curious about the great loop....PLUS...I appreciate his kind of genuine approach to youtube.

Agree with the Marty Zoffinger videos. He's pretty genuine and doesn't pretend to know what he doesn't know. The boat "looks" marginal (old gasser, maybe Ocean or Silverton?) to do the loop, as he wasn't very far before discovering he blew an oil line (that he should have hose clamped and didn't).

I applaud the way they're going about it, with a genuine sense of curiosity....the real driver for any true adventure! I'll keep up with the series. Hope his "luck" gets better.

My .02

Marty is up to his eyeballs in it now. Looks like they will be replacing both engines.Yes they are gassers. When you get a chance watch his building of the poor mans kayak, the 3 engine bass raider and the jet engine kayak. They sparked a lot of followers when they came out along with all the good fishing ones

Another here for Zoffinger. Thanks for the link. He is in my neck of the woods. He is actually quite good at filming in a way that shows the real deal. He is quite clever and reflective at times. And him and Michael doing this loop together should be quite entertaining. Think about it...two old gassers...each single handed. And off to a rough start. That combination should make for interesting times ahead. I wish them luck. Would love to seem them make it.

As I said earlier in this thread, I work with a few YouTubers from a marketing standpoint. I give them free product and have used two of them to do Instagram takeover events for retailers, which I pay them for. I also had one of them produce a loop video that runs in one of my retailers stores, I paid them for that as well.

I always just ask them to wear the product I send them, nothing more, no infomercials, and I tell them that they are under no obligations, they don't have to wear them if they don't like them. Both of the brands I work for that work with Youtubers have a strong environmental message and make really great product, so it's a very easy sell.

I only work with channels that I feel are good fits. Most of them I pass by. Yes, for the most part they are young, active, nice looking people and that draws more interest. If you are surprised or offended by this, well, welcome to the real world.

Lots of cruisers have asked us questions about our bulbous bow. Most questions are: What is it? How does it work? Was it a successful addition? How much did it cost? etc. We have now completed Part 1 of 2 videos on our Bulbous Bow addition to Sea Venture and posted it to our YouTube Channel – Cruising Sea Venture. In Part 1 we talk about what we learned – including:

1) What is a bulbous bow
2) Why are they on most large ships around the world
3) Research into bulbous bows on large ships
4) What this has to do with bulbous bows on trawler yachts (hint: almost nothing)
5) Research into bulbous bows on trawler yachts, including research done by Nordhavn
6) And about ½ of the build process (we did a time lapse of the entire process)

We are working on editing Part 2 now, but if all goes well, we will post it to our YouTube Channel next Saturday. Part 2 will cover the rest of the build, sea trials, cost, results and conclusions.

We also have a website: CruisingSeaVenture.com

If you want a sneak peak, you can look at a short video on our Instagram we posted earlier today of the bulb and paravanes in action. Instagram/Cruising_Sea_Venture

The website and YouTube Channel are all about sharing and hopefully paying it forward a little for all the boaters that have helped us over the last 27 years of cruising. While we have been blessed to do a lot of great cruising, it is the people we have met along the way that we treasure the most.

Thanks,
Jim and Rosy Addington
https://youtu.be/6cAC4D7_AIg

Sorry for getting off topic a little. If you love adventure and have dreams of traveling the high seas check out the documentary on YT of Alex Rust "Chasing Bubbles"

Sorry for getting off topic a little. If you love adventure and have dreams of traveling the high seas check out the documentary on YT of Alex Rust "Chasing Bubbles"

Will do. We certainly like our adventures and enjoy others as well. There is so much content on YouTube that we find interesting. We go for long periods without streaming internet while cruising, then when we hit port we feel like we have to catch up.

Thanks,
Jim

Wow! That’s quite the project. Will be interested to see how much it helped out with the pitching and fuel efficiency.

Sea Venture, I just watched part one of your bulbous bow..... very much looking forward to part 2!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom