Old 11-04-2020, 08:10 PM   #61

City: Louisville, ky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
I’m really enjoying the Western Flyer Restoration videos. It’s not about travel , but If you like woodworking and boats like I do this is a great series. They have almost thirty videos of the project.
Have you seen Sampson Boat Co. videos on the restoration of the Tally Ho?
Matt Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:50 PM   #62

City: Louisville, ky
As a WTO (Wannabe Trawler Owner) I have spend quite a bit of time digging deep into the depths of YouTube for research purposes.

Many of these have been mentioned before, but I'll throw them out there again. One note on production quality- really top notch quality is pretty much only attainable if you spend a lot of money on gear and many hours shooting and editing. People who do this at that level generally also have patreon accounts, which I don't begrudge them. If you are putting full time job time into this then you should be able to ask for donations. This is above and beyond anything they get from YT.

One channel (Tula's Endless Summer) started on a trawler, went to a sailboat and now has some kind of large dingy/camper truck arrangement. The early trawler videos are pretty good, if you can get past the slightly dopey surfer kids attempts at explaining technical things. I admit, I haven't watched very many of the non trawler ones.

There a couple sailboat channels I do find value in watching, due to great production quality and interesting content.

Sailing Atticus: couple in a restored (30ft?)sailboat currently in Panama moving towards a Pacific Crossing. Great production quality, very interesting local cultural content

Sailing Solianis: a couple who brought a (35ft?) sailboat down to the gulf from the great lakes documenting some pretty interesting technical work along the way. Also excellent production.

Sampson Boat Co: refit/restoration of a 1910 wooden sailing vessel turned into a basically ground up rebuild. If you like boats and woodworking this is your thing.

Trawlers-

Winty- a favorite, very matter of fact, no crazy hype, documentation of trips and boat projects on a CHB 34(?) quality work. Average production quality but very adequate. No content posted recently due to a move I think.

This has been posted before, but I'll mention it again- MV Freedom, liveaboard life on a Nordhavn in the PNW. Owners do much of the basic maintenance and do a pretty good job of documenting it as well as random boat projects. Great production quality and pretty good travel type stuff of the various places they go.

Mermaid Monster- Get to see the inside of another Nordhavn. One recent episode featured a blocked toilet. Woman seems like the type that regularly sends food back to the kitchen at restaurants, but I could be wrong. Like all social media, you only get to see what they post.

Richard on "Dauntless" a Kady Krogen 42 who has done some heavy duty traveling. Great boat, great scenery, some interesting information. Lots of footage looking out of the pilot house while underway, some sped up, some real time sometimes with interesting narration. Not really edge of your seat stuff, but very interesting. I believe he is a TF member and has a blog as well as a YT channel. One of my favorites.

Cruising Sea Venture- Also members here, (actually posted in this thread I think) with 54 Cheoy Lee that has some major upgrades. Currently posting some great content of Alaska. Very good production quality.

What Yacht To Do: couple doing the great loop on a Carver 501. Not much tech, but good info on general loop topics and expenses. They recently finished their first loop and are starting on their second.

Seattle boat guy- another looper, this one on a Marine Trader 38 if I remember correctly. Complete loop documented with very good travel content and some tech.

Some others I have recently found that I don't know as much about

CDsailor- front deck replacement and other projects on an Albin 36, very informative.

MV Loop Princess- Hull work and other upgrades on a CT 35 sundeck

3 Ravens Tug- couple moving towards living aboard.

editwiz- a Kady Krogen cruising the East Coast and Canada

C shells- good content on a 44 Tolly, the couple kind of remind me of the yuppie neighbors in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

Fleming Yachts- Like nature documentaries? This may be your channel. Disclaimer- I have just started watching so this is very much a first impression.

MV Intrigue- Senator Trawler, some good general content

MV Mystic- GB 42 general content, Bahamas

MV Playin Hooky- General PNW cruising

Scott Magdalein- family of 4 that was living aboard a trawler for a while, not sure if they still are

SeaBatical - Looper couple Disclaimer- Not a trawler!

Trailer Trawler life- life on a Ranger R-27

Trawler Life- general content, mostly maintenance

TrawlerFamily on WyRow- liveaboard family, travel content some tech
Matt Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:25 AM   #63

City: Everett, Washington
Vessel Name: Sea Venture
Vessel Model: 54' Cheoy Lee LRT
No Worries.

There will be no "clickbait" on Cruising Sea Venture.

Sometimes I think it can be a little boring, but the reality is, after 27 years and 10 of thousands of miles of cruising, we just do not have too much drama.

No plans to find a form fitting bikini either.

Thanks,
Jim
M/V Sea Venture
Cruising Sea Venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 06:20 AM   #64
Guru

City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
matt, thanks for the list I think there are 3 in there I haven't seen yet.
Seattle boat guy is a member here also .he has the same boat I do in much better condition so I try to use his as a benchmark .
I watch mermaid monster also and agree with your comment .it's probably hard to be normal when you have that much money.

Jim, thanks for the down to earth videos .please no bikini or drama .lol .also thanks for showing us some people with (funds)are normal.
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:46 AM   #65

City: Cairns
One thing I appreciate from some channels is their approachability. I've sent newbie questions to Brupeg and Sea Venture and all were answered promptly and informatively.
GoneDiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:16 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneDiving View Post
One thing I appreciate from some channels is their approachability. I've sent newbie questions to Brupeg and Sea Venture and all were answered promptly and informatively.
Thanks. I think if someone is going to take the time to write and ask a question, the least we could do is answer when possible. I suppose it just comes back to the idea to treat people like you would like to be treated.
Jim
Old 11-05-2020, 12:49 PM   #67
Veteran Member

City: Portland
Vessel Name: Hot Tuna
Vessel Model: 2002 American Tug 23 #24
A guilty pleasure of mine is Sailing Doodles. Different than others mentioned here, it takes place on a sailboat. Good news is that they sail constantly among the Caribbean Island and visit all the coves and bars and such we've heard of. Its not all candy coated; there is one episode where the captain (Bobby) sails single handily for 6 days and nights. You can feel the sense of loneliness and anxiety in his voice. Other good news is his crew is a never ending rotation of beautiful girl-next-door types who look great in bikinis. So yeah Sailing Doodles scores high on the every-boaters-fantasy scale.
Pdxstriper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 01:56 PM   #68

City: Tasmania
Vessel Model: Sea Ranger 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising Sea Venture View Post
Thanks. I think if someone is going to take the time to write and ask a question, the least we could do is answer when possible. I suppose it just comes back to the idea to treat people like you would like to be treated.
Jim
Hi Jim

After having spent waaaay too much time watching these channels after a long Southern Hemisphere winter, I have to say watching your channel (Cruising Sea Venture) and specifically last night, Tech Talk, Electrical Upgrade, I was impressed by how easily understandable your presentation was. I’ve been looking at doing a similar upgrade, and this episode really hit the spot, so top marks from me and please keep up the good work.

I like the tech, problem solving and keeping episodes directly dealing with boating issues, not the BS grabbing headlines of newbie boaters looking for YT hits and contributions for their new lifestyles.

As for some of the others, like MM, wow, I can’t even last a couple of minutes, trying to turn their lifestyle into a “Kardashian” reality show
Southern Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 02:55 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Boater View Post
Hi Jim

After having spent waaaay too much time watching these channels after a long Southern Hemisphere winter, I have to say watching your channel (Cruising Sea Venture) and specifically last night, Tech Talk, Electrical Upgrade, I was impressed by how easily understandable your presentation was. I’ve been looking at doing a similar upgrade, and this episode really hit the spot, so top marks from me and please keep up the good work.

I like the tech, problem solving and keeping episodes directly dealing with boating issues, not the BS grabbing headlines of newbie boaters looking for YT hits and contributions for their new lifestyles.

As for some of the others, like MM, wow, I can’t even last a couple of minutes, trying to turn their lifestyle into a “Kardashian” reality show
Oh, your making us laugh so hard.

The videos are just us boating - your just coming along for the ride, that is, if we happen to pick up the camera in the moment.

I have nothing against all those folks doing Patreon or other crowd sourcing ideas, but we are not going to. It's just not needed.

Oddly enough, the "tech talks" started because Rosy thought is was so boring I just couldn't put it into a cruising video. They have turned out to be some of the most popular videos.

Good luck on your electrical project. If you have any questions or if you think there is anything else I can do to help, just shoot me an email at CruisingSeaVenture@gmail.com

Thanks,
Jim
M/V Sea Venture
www.youtube.com/CruisingSeaVenture
Old 11-19-2020, 01:47 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising Sea Venture View Post
Oh, your making us laugh so hard.

The videos are just us boating - your just coming along for the ride, that is, if we happen to pick up the camera in the moment.

I have nothing against all those folks doing Patreon or other crowd sourcing ideas, but we are not going to. It's just not needed.

Oddly enough, the "tech talks" started because Rosy thought is was so boring I just couldn't put it into a cruising video. They have turned out to be some of the most popular videos.

Good luck on your electrical project. If you have any questions or if you think there is anything else I can do to help, just shoot me an email at CruisingSeaVenture@gmail.com

Thanks,
Jim
M/V Sea Venture
Working through your refit video’s, which I also found very interesting, especially the way you folks kept relating the costs, both saving and expenditure, an excellent resource for anybody contemplating a big refit as significant as yours, I couldn’t find number 1 and 6 for example? It may be just the way YT is delivered/configured via our device?

For older trawler/boat owners, painting GRP is very much in our futures, and DYI capable owners may be looking at systems that can deliver a reasonable finish that doesn’t involve a spray gun. I was hoping you would cover a bit more on the paint application to the salon (external) roof/dinghy deck......you are never going to please everybody

So far from what I’ve seen, your content is good, down to earth material, really aimed at the “every persons” cruising trawler market, without hamming it up for the camera or showing emotional breakdowns.....such a relief!

Good luck and calm seas to both of you
Old 11-19-2020, 03:44 PM   #71
Guru

City: Reno, Nevada
Quote:
Working through your refit video’s, which I also found very interesting, especially the way you folks kept relating the costs, both saving and expenditure, an excellent resource for anybody contemplating a big refit as significant as yours, I couldn’t find number 1 and 6 for example? It may be just the way YT is delivered/configured via our device?

For older trawler/boat owners, painting GRP is very much in our futures, and DYI capable owners may be looking at systems that can deliver a reasonable finish that doesn’t involve a spray gun. I was hoping you would cover a bit more on the paint application to the salon (external) roof/dinghy deck......you are never going to please everybody

So far from what I’ve seen, your content is good, down to earth material, really aimed at the “every persons” cruising trawler market, without hamming it up for the camera or showing emotional breakdowns.....such a relief!

Good luck and calm seas to both of you
Here are the refit videos listed as a playlist, hope this helps: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...aHRWcSFdZFnA2H
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:22 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskaflyer View Post
Here are the refit videos listed as a playlist, hope this helps: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...aHRWcSFdZFnA2H
Thanks AF, appreciate the link, cheers
Old 11-19-2020, 07:00 PM   #73

Cool, glad you are enjoying the series.

Warning: it will show you that apparently there is no end to how much you can spend on a boat!

As always, any questions, just let us know. You can always email us as well at CruisingSeaVenture@gmail.com
Old 11-20-2020, 01:24 PM   #74

City: CLEARWATER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
You know, it's funny, I regularly watch several YouTube sailing channels, Tula's Endless Summer, SV Delos, Project Atticus and Millennial Falcon are my favorites and I've tried to watch a few trawler channels but they've all been kind of meh at best.

I'm not sure why this is, as I I'm not a sailor and never really have been. I think it may be because the sailing channels go to much more exotic destinations and the people on the sailing channels do more exciting stuff. I'm not interested in just watching the boating, it's the freediving, fishing, spearing, hiking, surfing, kiting, etc. that draws me in. I also enjoy the boat work. No trawler channels seem to do those things.

I tried Mermaid Monster but found the woman to be obnoxious and they just reek of trust fund kids paying their way around the Eastern Seaboard with few skills of their own. Searching for C-Shells got boring very quickly for me.

I sponsor four or five sailing channels through my company as marketing, but I haven't found a trawler channel yet that I'd consider sponsoring. I'd like to find a good one, I'm just not sure one exists.
We have identical tastes and I felt the same about Mermaid Monster / CShells. Let me know what you find otherwise I'll stick with the sailing vids!
Enyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 01:46 PM   #75

City: Sammamish
Vessel Name: Knot Home
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788 - 1998
Although I don’t know about accepting sponsorship, but Cruising Sea Venture and MV Freedom are both interesting to me. Jim and Rosie (SV) and Elizabeth and Shawn (Freedom) are genuine and their videos are both entertaining and informative. Both take time for Q and A at the end of each video and both post regularly. Freedom production is a bit better but both are easy to watch and fall between the raw hard to watch and ultra slick production. Of course I have a PacNW bias!
MMSI 368040370
Beaverlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:21 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaverlake View Post
Although I don’t know about accepting sponsorship, but Cruising Sea Venture and MV Freedom are both interesting to me. Jim and Rosie (SV) and Elizabeth and Shawn (Freedom) are genuine and their videos are both entertaining and informative. Both take time for Q and A at the end of each video and both post regularly. Freedom production is a bit better but both are easy to watch and fall between the raw hard to watch and ultra slick production. Of course I have a PacNW bias!
Thanks Patti and Gordon,

Glad you are enjoying the videos. We agree, M/V Freedom is ahead of us in their video production quality. Elizabeth does a great job on the editing. For us, it's just a hobby - that's it. Part of the enjoyment for us is not only meeting all the great people we have got to meet while cruising, but trying to be better at "film making". We recently bought yet more equipment - camera stabilization systems in an effort to improve the videos. So hopefully they will continue to improve. No sponsorships or anything like that. We are not really interested in anyone else paying for what we are doing - it's just not needed.

We are spending the winter in Alaska and continuing to cruise in the snow and ice - so hopefully it should make for something different. Also, something we have not introduced on youtube, is that we are divers and have a full compliment of dive gear and the ability to fill scuba tanks on board - so I think soon you will start to see some diving from Alaska.

If allowed, we plan to head to Mexico next year - (it was our intent this year until Covid).

Again, thanks for watching, and never hesitate to reach out and let us know what we can do better, or if there is anything we should be adding to the videos.

Thanks,
Jim
M/V Sea Venture
Old 11-20-2020, 07:45 PM   #77
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Jim - I was just in Ensenada, albeit I drove in. There did not appear to be any unusual restrictions. If you get cold and decide to head south, there are likely options for you.

There is a group of south-of-the-border sailors who, while rarely active, seem to be a good source of local information.

https://groups.io/g/southbound-group/topics

If you need an agent like person in Ensenada, Michelle Aguilera speaks good English and is very professional. She can assist with anything on the ground.

Info@bcconnection.com.mx
+1 619-305-9385

Fair winds

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:06 PM   #78

Somebody mentioned Tony Fleming from Fleming Yachts before, a very talented film maker, besides yacht builder. I think he may have passed away?
Great films and narration, but always did voice over rather than facing the camera, a lot easier and concise in delivery. Excellent and eloquent speaker.

Another very good narrator is Nick OKelly, from the OKelly’s sailing YT, an ex-pro TV presenter, of course it all comes very easily to him, but he still does voice over a lot. It helps provide the pro edge in production.

Mostly though, many presenters just don’t get it. Keep the presentation calm, speak clearly and the camera steady
Old 11-20-2020, 08:24 PM   #79
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Somebody mentioned Tony Fleming from Fleming Yachts before, a very talented film maker, besides yacht builder. I think he may have passed away?
Great films and narration, but always did voice over rather than facing the camera, a lot easier and concise in delivery. Excellent and eloquent speaker.

Another very good narrator is Nick OKelly, from the OKelly’s sailing YT, an ex-pro TV presenter, of course it all comes very easily to him, but he still does voice over a lot. It helps provide the pro edge in production.

Mostly though, many presenters just don’t get it. Keep the presentation calm, speak clearly and the camera steady
Agree that Flemings vids were pretty good. Had an old school documentary style to them.

Most YT presenters don't bother with an outline or script and therefore ramble for 10 mins to give 2 mins of content. Fast forwarding helps, but after a few episodes, I just unsubscribe and move on. I'd be no different if I did a YT channel, but still, painful to watch.

Have noticed the pandemic has stymied many YT/Patreon sailors as they try to find new content and keep the weekly till churning. I would think would become grueling after a while. Sort of takes the fun out of cruising.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:08 PM   #80
Guru

City: Reno, Nevada
Quote:

Mr. Fleming is still very much alive, at least as of a couple weeks ago He’s retired from operating the business but he’s still busy at editing and re-editing his videos. Here’s hoping he remains in good health and the pandemic will allow him and his crew to do another trip that they can share with all of us in 2021.
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote