On your boat...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some Yacht Clubs are pretty inexpensive. I have belonged to three and I would not have belonged to any that were expensive. I am too cheap. Our current club for a years dues AND initiation fee would be under $1200 and you couldnt get a decent charter for that amount.

He only wants to spend $100

He obviously has no idea how much it costs to be involved in boating as an owner. Maybe that’s why he wants to go on an overnight trip: to learn about such things.

I didn't say "I only want to spend $100", where did you get that from the original post? I said share expenses. How much expenses would actually be the boat owners decision.

I guess I was really hoping to find a retired person near Galveston,TX that doesn't get to take their boat out as much as they like because of financial reasons, or life changing reasons (divorce, loss of spouse etc.) that I could come meet, get to know, pal around with, help them get out while they helped me get out and learn more about trawlers without blowing my life savings and see if it was something I would really want to do and what type boat might suit me. I never said I only want to spend $100, but $5000 for a week is a bit more than I can swing easily. I guess that's just an unacceptable idea for an old guy to have? Meet somebody with a boat and become, well, friends? I'm not sure how this post got so far off in the weeds, but it sure did.

This thread sure has caught a lot of attention. Pretty clear the OP triggered a very worthwhile, complex discussion with what sounds like a pretty simple request.

First, I don't think the issue is really about hospitality or friendliness or snobbiness. My wife and I did a historic schooner trip out of Rockland, Maine a few years ago. Hauled sails, potbellied stove in the galley, slept on a plywood bunk, the whole Hermann Melville thing. Overall we had a great time, but there was one insufferable guy on there who was just awful. He was a fellow passenger, not crew or captain, but he had sailed with them before so he caught this Captain Bligh know-it-all complex and ordered me to stop hauling a line behind him and "go somewhere else" because he was very tall and my relatively shorter height was messing up his pull angle. Of course the granny from New Jersey pulling behind me was even shorter so there you go buddy, maybe toss her overboard next. There were other examples much worse over the week but you get the idea. Granted he was the one jerk out of about 20, but I can't and won't have a guy like that on my boat.

Or this one: I happen to work in the justice system, generally surrounded by pretty buttoned-up, straight-laced, cautious people. Years ago I was out on our Bayliner runabout at an in-state conference on the river. I took six people out in the evening just for fun. We were all court officials, what I thought was a highly responsible group, but one of the guests sitting in the swing seat directly behind me reached under and around my arm and jammed the throttle all the way up and held it there. "Let's see what this tub can do!" I had to pry his arm off the throttle. We were running in the dark, at night, in a section of the river with lots of what we call dead-heads, underwater trees. I just about had a heart attack and never brought my boat to a work function again.

Has nothing to do with the $100, or the money. Heck, I spent $250 on a new A/C thermostat and a holding tank vent filter sitting on the couch at home this weekend (although I really do think if you can't afford or don't want to do a charter to really see how it goes, as a number of us have suggested, then you can't afford a "big" boat). My point is, unless I know you well, not through an internet forum and not strolling down a dock, or even a club social event -- I'm reluctant to take you out. You might be the most honorable, skilled, reasonable boating or sailing companion on earth, but you might also be the jerk on the Schooner Heritage, or "that guy" on my Bayliner years ago. I have no way of knowing until I get to know you otherwise.

I guess I was really hoping to find a retired person near Galveston,TX

Not to change the subject, but if you hadn't thought of it, you might consider Pickwick Lake/TN river area. Google directions says its a little over an hour closer than Galveston. Nothing against Galveston, but I don't think you'll find much better cruising waters than Pickwick in this part of the US.

You all know how many 'Hi, I'm new and I don't know where to start' threads we get around here. I've posted quite a few myself.

It seems that there are a few answers that always pop up that just about everyone agrees on. One is 'you should charter a boat.' Sound advice. Another I've seen a hundred times, more so with sailboat types, is 'go to a marina or yacht club and just talk to people. There are always people looking for crew.' etc...

That's how I received the OP's initial request. He saw a wealth of knowledge and experience here, and thought he'd ask. Couldn't hurt, right? Sure, he wouldn't be able to absorb a lifetime of cruising experience in a day or two, but he'd get a small taste, a foot in the door, and would be able to ask an 'expert' a thousand questions.

Of course there would need to be some vetting, but seems reasonable enough to me.

Harry, I have never heard of the Pickwick Lake/TN river area. But I'd like to know more. Anything you can tell me would be appreciated!

You pretty much got it. It wasn't exactly meant for those that have a big circle of friends and family either. I was more looking for somebody that has his boat tied to the dock tomorrow because he doesn't have anybody to go out with, or is waiting for the first of the month for his retirement check so he has diesel money. My Dad was 72 years old when my Mom died and he was always looking for somebody to do things with. Was really trying to message that guy.

There is that $100 again. LOL! I said I would take somebody out for $100 for an afternoon, not that anybody else would or should. I get it. $100 is what? 20-25 gallons of diesel? 25 gallons of diesel would run my boat for about 20-25 hours. An afternoon is 5 hours.

Wifey B: Pickwick is 6.5 hours from your location. Great lake boating as is all the TN River. 25 gallons on the boat I'll be on tomorrow is 15 minutes at 36 knots. :)

What are you on that is burning that? Sounds thrilling. Like I said, somehow people took me saying I'd take somebody out for an afternoon if they sprang for $100 as me offering others $100. I did not.

FWIW, I think TF could have been more hospitable to the OP. I fully expect anyone taking aboard an unintroduced stranger would want to meet first, check that he washes behind the ears, cleans his teeth,doesn`t carry an axe, that kind of thing. Saved by the Pacific from hosting the OP, I think members could have been more constructive. I`ve had people interested in joining a Club I am involved with on my boat for an Intro Day,some I`d met once, some not at all, and it was fine.

I guess that's just an unacceptable idea for an old guy to have? Meet somebody with a boat and become, well, friends? I'm not sure how this post got so far off in the weeds, but it sure did.

Happens all the time.

We often see people wandering our dock, and its usually pretty easy to spot somebody "shopping" on various boats, boat styles, individual boat features... and then it's pretty normal to strike up a conversation, go wherever that leads...

Certainly it's useful to see if the guy walking the dock is carrying an ax behind his back, but (surprise!) I've not seen that too often.

That said, some folks are more sociable than others, some hit it off and others don't, life goes on.

-Chris

For what my opinion is worth (absolutely nothing, hah!), I'd love to make a new friend, take him out on my boat & give him a little taste of boat ownership. OP's request seems quite reasonable to me. I totally understand how some might be wary of that - my boat, when I buy it, will also be my home - so I get it. You've got an expensive floating house and inviting a random stranger out on it can be a scary proposition for some.

Thing is, I'm a pretty good judge of character and not particularly fearful, so I'd happily invite just about anyone into my home after an initial meet & greet and getting-to-know-you session. So we're all different. RArmstrong, I'm sure you can find someone who would love to take you out.

'Lo All,
Interesting thread! One topic never came up though. Trawlers are typically slow 6-8 KT boats, usually intended to go greater distances than a smaller go-fast(er) or runabout. Therefore, one must consider the boat's ability to handle adverse weather conditions given whatever the operator's boat handling skills and knowledge are, because you WILL get caught out sooner or later. I always tried to avoid bad weather, but did get caught in several storms and huge waves flowing over a sandbar when out of sight of land. As stated above, if you use a trawler for what it is made for, you will be caught in some bad weather. For that reason, the lower helm on the Celestial was as fully equipped as the upper helm.

I have never taken (or been asked to take) an individual total stranger out on any of my boats. On the Celestial, I have taken 2 groups of up to 25-30 strangers (friends of a friend) to spread cremains upon the water. All of these folks followed instructions relative operation of the boat - what goes into the head (and more importantly, what doesn't), to get out of the way when docking as I ALWAYS singlehanded the boat, etc., but when it came time to spread the ashes, contrary to instructions, they all congregated onto the downwind aft corner of the boat. The first time, I was quite concerned as their combined weight was considerable - and I didn't know just how strong the aft cabin roof was as well as the boat's stability. Fortunately, the Albin 43 hardly noticed.

I agree with the general tenor of this thread - I would want to know any person I took out on the boat. I thought I did this one time: We hosted a Russian lady and her son Yuri from Chita in Eastern Siberia for a month or so while he underwent treatment for renal disease/failure. We went out on the Gulf of Mexico shortly before they returned to Russia and had a beautiful sail - until the sun started going down and Yuri's mother started panicking. She had been fine all day, but the sun setting while we were still a little way out in the Gulf totally frightened her. Yuri, my wife and I had all we could do to keep her from hurting herself as she "totally lost it". As soon as we entered the Panama City pass, she was OK.

It is nice to see that we have so many veterans here on the TF. I spent 14 years as a Russian linguist, and 10 years as an aircraft maintenance officer in the USAF. I was working with a local company that was building a motel in Chita, which is how the connection was made for Yuri to come to the US for treatment.

I posted over on tugnuts.com a few months back, a pretty basic post about wanting to look at some Ranger Tugs in the Seattle area as I’ll be visiting there in October. I was really asking if the factory did tours, etc.

I received at least 3 offers from people I didn’t know to come look at their boats and take a cruise with them. Most boaters are friendly and will gladly talk your ear off about boats.

I’m always delighted by the kindness of most people, especially boaters. Sure, there are exceptions and one must be careful, but most people you meet on the dock and around boats want to be there and love to share their knowledge and experiences with you. Just like here on TF. Even though a few of you are crabby as heck, I still can see your passion and love for this hobby.

Now, what I didn’t tell the tugnuts people is that I’ll be traveling with a 5 and 7 year old, lol. They are great boat kids, but we’ll see how that goes!!

"clean, sober and polite"

Well............... 2-ish out of 3 ain't bad.
:)

Todd

Back
Top Bottom