On your boat...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh I don't think the request or OP is outrageous and I hope he doesn't think we're an inhospitable group. And I'd waive off the $100 offer too, although that's nice of him. I think it comes down to the idea that a relatively short, casual ride can give you a good read on what it's like to own, run, maintain and pay for a big(ger) boat. With just a few hours and limited budget, he'd learn just as much sitting next to me in my office at home as I walked through the MMSI number, the FCC license app, the AIS setup, and hunting down the latest Navionics chip for the Raymarine. Or trying to find a new thermistor for my discontinued Dometic fridge.

Renting a trawler will also not "prepare you for monthly, weekly or daily upkeep". All but the most basic stuff will be taken care of for you. You will only need to do the minimum daily stuff that cannot be deferred. Everything else will be done by the charter company before you take it out and after you return. That's a good part of what you are paying for, having someone else do all the work.

I mentioned all that in my response, but you chose to take that out of my quote.

Seriously people, what the heck. Someone comes here and asks a few simple questions and several people jump all over him from questioning his character, his financial situation, and his intentions. Quite frankly I found some of the responses down right rude, condescending, and snobbish.

Has the world and TF gone that far downhill?

"$100 for fuel" marks you as someone to be avoided. " How so? When I pulled up to the fuel docks $100 was about a quarter of the bill for a Saturday. If I had three other guys and their girlfriends $100 each was just what it worked out to as an example.

$100 will buy you about 40 minutes up on plane......

Seriously people, what the heck. Someone comes here and asks a few simple questions and several people jump all over him from questioning his character, his financial situation, and his intentions. Quite frankly I found some of the responses down right rude, condescending, and snobbish.

Has the world and TF gone that far downhill?

I think some, myself included, honestly feel that if a $5000 boat rental is out of budget when considering a $50K purchase, then perhaps the funds available for operating, maintaining and insuring a large boat are insufficient. I don't see that as questioning one's financial situation but rather, providing wise counsel regarding the cost of ownership.

I've not seen anyone here question the OPs character or intentions but have cited valid reasons for not inviting a stranger aboard their private vessel/home for a day or 2. That's just plain common sense, not condescension or snobbery.

Yes, the world has gone downhill but at TF, we try to rise above it with tact, civility and manners.

The issue isn't questioning a person's character...it's making the poster prove it before anyone going out of their way to invite that poster along for a day on the boat.

It may not take much...but probably more than a couple posts.

Ask anyone who has internet dated :)

Last edited:
I think some, myself included, honestly feel that if a $5000 boat rental is out of budget when considering a $50K purchase, then perhaps the funds available for operating, maintaining and insuring a large boat are insufficient. I don't see that as questioning one's financial situation but rather, providing wise counsel regarding the cost of ownership.

I've not seen anyone here question the OPs character or intentions but have cited valid reasons for not inviting a stranger aboard their private vessel/home for a day or 2. That's just plain common sense, not condescension or snobbery.

Yes, the world has gone downhill but at TF, we try to rise above it with tact, civility and manners.

Seems some are sinking faster than others.

Yes, Mena is land locked, but the highway leads right down to Galveston. I do feel some are over thinking my question, and making more of it than it is, but y'all gotta' live and do what ya' gotta' do. If I ever do get my boat and somebody innocently asks a similar question just tell them something like "Well, there is this retired soldier/cattle rancher down in Galveston that if you go introduce yourself to him and aren't a complete jackass or moron there is a pretty good chance he might take you out on the ICW. Oh, and bring a bucket of chicken! He likes extra crispy!"

Last edited:
Now $500-800 a day for actual training with a professional is something I could go for. I like training. Who do I contact for that?

By the way, RArmastrong, my family and I truly thank you for your service!!!!

Yes, Mena is land locked, but the highway leads right down to Galveston. I do feel some are over thinking my question, and making more of it than it is but y'all gotta' live and do what ya' gotta' do. If I ever do get my boat and somebody innocently asks a similar question just tell them something like "Well, there is this retired soldier/cattle rancher down in Galveston that if you go introduce yourself to him and aren't a complete jackass or moron there is a pretty good chance he might take you out on the ICW. Oh, and bring a bucket of chicken! He likes extra crispy!"

Actually, you're the one taking offense that no one is offering and then claiming you're a better person because you would or something of the sort. We simply responded by trying to explain why you weren't getting offers. You asked and no one responded then you asked why no one was responding. You're finding us to be inhospitable because we don't invite a total stranger aboard our boat for a day.

Do you pick up hitchhikers? I'm being serious as there was a time people did, but I don't know of anyone who will today. You may be the nicest, safest person around but I don't know that you aren't armed or have marijuana or other drugs in your possession. You pick up a rider in a car who has drugs with them and you may get thrown in jail. Same and worse on a boat where the USCG is involved and zero tolerance.

Now, I'll suggest again, slightly differently, spend some time around boaters either here or at the docks near Galveston. Get to know some. Let them get to know you where there is mutual trust then built. Then you'll likely get invitations with nothing required on your part, not even requiring you to ask or pay. There are other retirees with similar backgrounds to yours who would make great friends. Make friends first. Visit marinas and talk to people there. Tell those you meet that you're thinking about buying a boat and ask them for advice.

Now, to learn whether it's right for you or not, you need to immerse yourself in it. Spend time around boats and boaters. Read online. Even books and blogs and see how it sounds. Go to boat shows. You will learn something in a day on a boat, but if you base a buying decision on that one day, then it may be the worst decision you've ever made, a $50,000 mistake.

And if you get a boat and someone asks the same question and I know as little about them as I do today about you, I wouldn't dare send them to you, because I don't know. Their intent could be to take advantage of the cattle rancher.

Now, I've been around TF for a long time. As a result there are dozens, maybe hundreds of boaters here I would trust. I know they've met others here so have some verification of their character from those who have met them in person. We've maintained our privacy. Therefore, I wouldn't expect them to necessarily trust us. Even those we have met, for the most part, don't know they were meeting us and would likely be very surprised they have. Perhaps you live in an area where everyone knows everyone else and all the gossip is common knowledge, but the internet isn't like that.

Good luck in your quest. I'd just suggest a bit different approach simply because your first effort isn't working for you.

Better person? No. Did I say that or did you? I will say that people that spent their life in the military are usually pretty open and learn to read people quickly. We had to make friends fast and sometimes lose friends even faster. Do I pick up hitch hikers? Not that often, but I do very often stop to help a lady or senior citizen with car trouble. After meeting them would I give them a lift? Probably. Several times I have stopped and put broke down motorcycles on my trailer and took the riders to town. I still think there are some not getting what I am saying, but I may not be getting what they are saying either. There is just something about the typed words that makes it hard for people to understand what point somebody is making.

I know what might work: offer to help someone when they come up on the hard with sanding, bottom paint etc. What talents can you bring? Do that for a week and then we might decide whether to take you out...or not. I’m always looking for someone to help me bring the boat to the boat lift and would be happy to take you along for a nice ride after we got back in the water...provided we like each other!

WRT the suggestion of doing a bare boat charter: it was the best decision we made. We learned a lot about ourselves as well as what boat we might want. In fact we did two, both on the shoulder seasons for reduced rates. About $6000 combined. We needed to see if this was something to which my wife would commit. In the end we bought the exact boat for us: way more boat than we needed but all the boat we wanted. And we bought our 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th boat first. We will probably not ever buy another boat. FYI, I send between 15-20,000 per year for all boat expenses and travel.

Jim.

Well, I can sand, paint and my carpentry skills and mechanical abilities are above average. Lunch is on me!

Back to the original post....

You mention Texas or near...

How far are you willing to travel for a day or several day trip?

I leave Myrtle Beach, SC for Brunswick, Ga on Oct 1st and get there 8-10 days later. Most places I stop have rental cars an some decent airports like Charleston and Savannah.

I have thought about riders but usually leave it open for family and friends first. Plus the unknown factor .....and I would want a signed paper (suggested by others who do this)...that the trip is entirely voluntary with no obligations by the owner to take the passenger one inch after arrival and the passenger can be asked to leave at any reasonable port at any time for any reason without compensation.

I am retired military too so I know that there is a pretty good brotherhood...yet there are those that wore the uniform that already have and that a few other should be in prison. Thus like anyone should follow, caution is the order of the day.

I would LOVE that, but my adult daughter is coming from Germany and October this year is just booked back to back for us. Will you be making the return trip in the spring? Could you send me (or I send you?) an email and we could really hash out the details? And the signed agreement would only make sense.

Now $500-800 a day for actual training with a professional is something I could go for. I like training. Who do I contact for that?

Well! This has gotten circular. Easiest place to get that kind of hands-on, on-the-water training is at a yacht charter operator. They all keep a stable of instructor captains.

There’s a lot more commitment in such a thing than being OK with you. I’m not confident anyone could stand me for the two or so days you suggest. My worry would be that you couldn’t swim to shore when you finally had too much of my BS, or maybe I’d find you doing the Jeffrey Epstein thing on my dinghy crane.

Last edited:
after 20 years in the military...2-3 days of close quarters BS is a breeze for most.

or they will just swim to shore... :)

Well, I would also have the option of not going with somebody I didn't like either. ; )

As a Tank Commander on M60 series Tanks we had a crew of 4 in about the size of a Honda Civic for weeks and months at a time. It's not that hard to get along.

Here’s a suggestion. Drive to Seabrook. Go to Jay Bettis Yacht sales. Ask for Darrell Cottle. Sit down and explain to him that you’re beginning to look for a boat and want some experience. Offer to pay him to take you out and give you some pointers. He’s a great guy and good teacher. He might say no. If he does, go to the next broker that has boats like you’re considering. Repeat as necessary with every broker in Seabrook, Kemah, Galveston and surrounding areas. There’s lots of them.

Might not work, but worth a try.

Great idea, Drake! Could I also suggest that just going to marinas and asking owners about their boats may inspire interest and trust, perhaps enough for a short jaunt to begin with and maybe a crew invitation later.

Currently there are four guys on earth whose skills I trust enough to run my boat, either with me or by themselves. My friend Mike in Alaska who was in the mechanical engineering program with me at UAF; my dock neighbor Dave who is the best boat mechanic and power driver I've ever known; my chartering friend Peter in Scottsdale; and probably AlaskaProf on this forum. Maybe it's just me but
It's just you....if you think there are that few that can run your boat.

Sure I can understand that's your concern....but trust and can safely run are 2 different things.

RArmstrong,

Pick out some larger, more full-service marinas near you. Call over or email to the the office. They often have an approved vendor list or, by phone, will make informal recommendations.

RArmstrong,

Pick out some larger, more full-service marinas near you. Call over or email to the the office. They often have an approved vendor list or, by phone, will make informal recommendations.

Will do. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom