Your Age?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Age are You?

• 20 to 30

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • 31 to 50

Votes: 35 17.3%
  • 51 to 60

Votes: 63 31.2%
  • 61 to 70

Votes: 75 37.1%
  • 71 to 80

Votes: 23 11.4%
  • 81 to 90

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • 91 to 100

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Matt, I found very refreshing the way in which you suggested it.

The famous Answer to the Great question. The answer to this is very simple. It was a joke. It had to be a number, an ordinary, smallish number, and I chose that one. Binary representations, base 13, Tibetan monks are all complete nonsense. I sat at my desk, stared into the garden and thought '42 will do'. I typed it out. End of story.

How many roads must a man walk down ?

:D

My wife drives the kids and just everyone else mad with that. If they ask "mom, can I ask you something?" She would immediately say 42 and walk away.

Oliver, what have you been doing with yourself lately? Nose in the books? Installing electronics?

Haven't seen you post much lately.

Definitely not nose in books :), but have been a mix of fun and fixing and installing electronics too.

Actually the memory is the second thing to go.

What's the first?

I forget.

My age is the Answer to the Meaning of Life, the Universe, and Everything.

Hopefully someone gets it.

I did. As mine is the same.

On a related note, I just saw a trailer for a BBC TV production of "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" with Elijah Wood. It looks good enough to give it a go. Out in October.

Definitely not nose in books :), but have been a mix of fun and fixing and installing electronics too.

How's the shoe collection coming along?

Call it 'Anchor Envie' to keep it in a family forum good taste limits ,:D as I say there are one heck a lot of young folk with big, big boats:speed boat: on this forum!!!:thumb::angel:

78, the new 55.:dance:

Al-Ketchikan 27' Marben pocket CRUISER

Call it 'Anchor Envie' to keep it in a family forum good taste limits ,:D as I say there are one heck a lot of young folk with big, big boats:speed boat: on this forum!!!:thumb::angel:

78, the new 55.:dance:

Al-Ketchikan 27' Marben pocket CRUISER

Trawlers are a bit of the anti-size growth. For the average user they don't need the extra size. Sport Fishermen are pushing sizes way up with very little being sold under 60' and many 70-100'. Even center consoles have moved up to 40'. Brands with smaller boats like Cabo and Bertram are gone. Now, Hatteras does sell the relabeled Cabo as A Hatteras Express 45'. A void that hit's TF is the one left by Grand Banks. Beneteau Swift Trawler fills in some. However, here you see some great boats from 30' to 55'.

As to speed, I think younger people want it more and a huge reason is many of them have less time. The older trawler owner has all the time in the world, is in no hurry. The younger family boater who only gets weekends and a couple of weeks a year, wants to get places quicker. Now there are some older people into real speed, 60-90 knots, but they wouldn't tend to visit here and their group has shrunk. Companies like Fountain are nothing compared to what they were.

In semi-displacement and planing boats, with brands such as Princess and Sunseeker and Sabre there are still some models in the 40-60' range. Now, here's where the builder is influencing the market however, as the builders are building larger and larger boats, because they're more profitable. There was a time 150' fiberglass boats were just a dream. Then they didn't have the facilities. But they've figured out a lot more money in 150' vs. 50' and that's where their attention has gone.

Now, the model we're doing the Loop in also comes in 52', a great boat. It would make a better loop boat than the one we're in except for one thing. While most here travel with two people, we normally have 6 or so aboard. We don't make any long trips with just the two of us. Number of passengers is what has forced us to a 65' boat for the loop. Now, had we been able to find something that had all the other attributes and ran faster, we would have chosen it. We admit to liking speed, but the first half of 2012 we lived on a lake and our 30' bowrider ran 55 knots so what is considered fast here is very slow for us. Much like the opposite of the sailboat crowd moving to trawlers. Much is a matter of where you came from to get here.

:speed boat:

my 1955 Chevy NAPCO and I shared a few things together :socool:

image.jpg

62, which, I thought, used to be old. Glad I was wrong!

Yes, sorting screws and generally re-organizing things in storage. Just messing around on the boat is very satisfying! What was that famous quote...?
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

Last edited:
my 1955 Chevy NAPCO and I shared a few things together :socool:

Really nice truck. :thumb:

Still got her? Years ago I had real cool red and white 59 Chevrolet 3/4 ton, fleetside, lb w/ 4 spd.

Old starts past 100 :thumb: :eek:

At least I sure hope so! :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom