You know you've made it when ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So cool....go to the 1 minute mark.

https://youtu.be/pkbXf0UCUQQ

She was anchored off St. Marten this time last year for at least two weeks. Didnt go anywhere, perhaps we will see her again (we are heading down tomorrow). She does look ugly to me, but then again I don't even like the new cruiser designs.

Paint it yellow and it would look like a Beatles song. But then to each his own. Probably costs more than my entire boat just to fuel up.

Yes indeed, be careful about judging people because how they look or are dressed. Back in the early 90's I worked in a bank Jackson, MS, largest in the state. I was on the 'commercial floor', overlooking the retail lobby. One day an older gentleman, dressed in hunting clothes came in and sat down at one of the teller's desks to open an account for his niece, who was attending Millsaps College in Jackson. When the teller realized who he was she called the CEO and said in a panicked voice 'Mr. Sam Walton is in the lobby to open an account'. Several top officers, myself included, soon appeared and asked Mr Sam if he wanted to come up to the private offices to complete his transaction - he said "no thanks, this young lady is taking good care of me". He was not unknown at our bank - our chairman and Mr Sam were hunting buddies. :thumb:

Yes indeed, be careful about judging people because how they look or are dressed. Back in the early 90's I worked in a bank Jackson, MS, largest in the state. I was on the 'commercial floor', overlooking the retail lobby. One day an older gentleman, dressed in hunting clothes came in and sat down at one of the teller's desks to open an account for his niece, who was attending Millsaps College in Jackson. When the teller realized who he was she called the CEO and said in a panicked voice 'Mr. Sam Walton is in the lobby to open an account'. Several top officers, myself included, soon appeared and asked Mr Sam if he wanted to come up to the private offices to complete his transaction - he said "no thanks, this young lady is taking good care of me". He was not unknown at our bank - our chairman and Mr Sam were hunting buddies. :thumb:

I wander around in pretty much whatever suits and covers me decently, much to my wife's chagrin. We' re rich as hell. :):)

Sometimes it amazes me what things people assume are a sign of wealth and what things they miss completely.

For example, I've had plenty of people assume I must have money because I drive a BMW. But what they're missing is that it's 19 years old, I bought it for less than they paid for their new Civic and I do almost all of my own work on it, so I'm rarely paying for other people's time.

I once saw a large yacht with a 40' power boat carried as a tender on one side and a 40' sail boat as the tender on the other side.

Possibly this one? It's "Lone Ranger" The sail boat was a Hinkley. Seen anchored off Gustavia, St Barthe.

Attachments

• St Barts Nov 06 001.jpg
    St Barts Nov 06 001.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 40
"For example, I've had plenty of people assume I must have money because I drive a BMW. But what they're missing is that it's 19 years old, I bought it for less than they paid for their new Civic and I do almost all of my own work on it, so I'm rarely paying for other people's time."

Same here. I'm 64 and have never owned a new car. Have owned five - three Mercedes Benz's and two Jaguars. None less than 8 yrs old when purchased, and never paid more than $15k, cash. And yes, some assume we are wealthy. But by would standards, everyone on this forum is very wealthy.

Yeah, BMWs, Mercs, Audis, etc., are all pretty cheap once the warranty runs out. You might be surprised how fast they lose value.

Yeah, BMWs, Mercs, Audis, etc., are all pretty cheap once the warranty runs out. You might be surprised how fast they lose value.
Yeah, well, an $80k car new is still going to have $80k car prices for parts, no matter how much the depreciation curve looks like an anvil thrown out of a de-orbiting space shuttle. Do not make the mistake of buying any of their higher-performance models. You'll hemorrhage money fixing a used AMG or M-series. My DD is a Porsche... it's kinda sad seeing newbies signing up on the forums bellyaching about the eye-wateringly expensive repair costs. If you want a Honda-cheap parts and repairs, buy a Honda.

No ill intent meant towards you or any other car salesman, Bill.Your the benefactor of these types.:socool:

I’m just kidding. We definitely benefited from these status seeking buyers who had to have the latest model every few years. We coveted these buyers and gave them special perks (free whiskey!), because they almost always had good trade-ins. We didn’t make tons of money on the new vehicles, but we could kill it on a good trade-in.

I haven’t bought a new car in a while, last three had 20K+ plus miles on them, ‘92 Isuzu Trooper, ‘96 Toyota Sequoia, ‘11 Toyota FJ Cruiser. Still driving the FJ. All three hit 225K miles when I sold them, probably still going. The Sequoia had a big V8 that would get it.

I haven’t bought a new car in a while, last three had 20K+ plus miles on them, ‘92 Isuzu Trooper, ‘96 Toyota Sequoia, ‘11 Toyota FJ Cruiser. Still driving the FJ. All three hit 225K miles when I sold them, probably still going. The Sequoia had a big V8 that would get it.

Wow that’s awesome. My 2011 Chevy Tahoe has 170k on the clock. Trying to get 200k out of it at least. The drives back and forth from Texas to Florida should get me there pretty soon.

"Some people are so poor,all they have is money"....Bob Marley

Sometimes it amazes me what things people assume are a sign of wealth and what things they miss completely.

"For example, I've had plenty of people assume I must have money because I drive a BMW. But what they're missing is that it's 19 years old, I bought it for less than they paid for their new Civic and I do almost all of my own work on it, so I'm rarely paying for other people's time."

Same here. I'm 64 and have never owned a new car. Have owned five - three Mercedes Benz's and two Jaguars. None less than 8 yrs old when purchased, and never paid more than $15k, cash. And yes, some assume we are wealthy. But by would standards, everyone on this forum is very wealthy.

trying to keep up with the Jones' by acquiring new fancy vehicles every few years is a fools errand...

Same here. House, motorhome, cars, boats. Goes a looong way to stretch the budget.

This thread is a treasure trove of practical, DIY Trawlermen info.

I've worked closely with the richest and the poorest. Money makes no matter...it's the man who makes a difference between a good day and a bad one.

fit is everything

you know you've made it when...................
your new (used) boat jams between the pilings before reaching the dock (stern-in) on first transport/return to home port. REALLY happened to me when i told my son at the helm "further back" and he said "that's it !" my chest swelled !

you know you've made it when...................
your new (used) boat jams between the pilings before reaching the dock (stern-in) on first transport/return to home port. REALLY happened to me when i told my son at the helm "further back" and he said "that's it !" my chest swelled !

As in too big to fit in the old slip? Been there. Discovered with the bow pulpit and the dinghy on the swim platform were were two feet longer than the space between the slips at our old marina. No room to swing it around without getting stuck in the anchors of boats on the other side of the fairway. Last minute scramble to find a new marina...

There was a group of three couples at the same overlook and we overheard them talking about our boat. A woman in the group described our boat as "too "oceany"". I thought it was pretty funny. I love the salty lines on my boat. The attached photo was taken during the described event.

We were anchored in Prideaux Haven in 2013. It was not overly crowded as it was late in the season. A 50'ish yacht comes in and circles looking for a spot to drop. Two men on the fly bridge and two women up on the bow. One women looks back at the captain and I hear "We can go over there, behind the little one"...while pointing at us!:lol: The Admiral an I started laughing since we were able to do exactly what they were doing, enjoying cruising in B.C.

Some of the richest guys I know, do stuff like that. It's how they got rich. They don't waste money, and it's a hard habit to break when they get where they could. :D

And how many people do we see that do the opposite? Growing up my parents instilled the "Don't ever worry about keeping up with the Jones'" mentality and it has served me well. I have lived in very simple homes my entire life. Driven very simple vehicles. Even as I aged and could afford much, much fancier things, I chose to save that money for the long haul. I try to instill that wisdom on my younger co-workers. Some listen. Some don't.

Back in '98 we bought a condo in OCNJ for $120K. Within a year we changed our minds and wanted to go with a boat we could stay onboard for weekends instead, so we sold it for $130K. Cool. I just looked it up on Zillow. 2 of the 4 condos sold recently for $590K each! Duh!!!:facepalm:

Yeah but that’s only about a 7.5% annual return over all those years, and after subtracting carrying costs of around 3% (RE taxes, insurance, condo fees, assessments, upkeep) it’s probably closer to around a 4.5% CAGR. I bet your other investments made that or more.

Plus, and probably most importantly, you got to have fun on a boat instead of sitting around in a condo!

There was a scam going on a MIA airport for awhile. The group would sample the fuel coming into the airport in the tanker trucks. They would "find" that a fuel load was contaminated with water and reject the delivery. They would then send the the truck to "dispose" of the fuel. They did that by selling it to superyacht owners at a steep discount.

I once saw a large yacht with a 40' power boat carried as a tender on one side and a 40' sail boat as the tender on the other side.

I think you saw this one. "Tatoosh" https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/tatoosh-yacht.html. I saw it in January docked in Curacao.

We were anchored in Prideaux Haven in 2013. It was not overly crowded as it was late in the season. A 50'ish yacht comes in and circles looking for a spot to drop. Two men on the fly bridge and two women up on the bow. One women looks back at the captain and I hear "We can go over there, behind the little one"...while pointing at us!:lol: The Admiral an I started laughing since we were able to do exactly what they were doing, enjoying cruising in B.C.

We cruised for 14 years in a 25 foot cuddy cabin before we bought our Tolly 44 last year. It was the experiences in the 25 footer that made us realize we wanted to cruise full time, and have comfortable space for guests. So far, no regrets.

We cruised for 14 years in a 25 foot cuddy cabin before we bought our Tolly 44 last year. It was the experiences in the 25 footer that made us realize we wanted to cruise full time, and have comfortable space for guests. So far, no regrets.
Bought our little boat in 2009. Have nothing but great memories. With retirement approaching we are considering moving up to something larger, but I have not begun the search in earnest.

Back
Top Bottom