You gotta be impressed....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baker

TF Site Team/Forum Founder
Site Team
Vessel Name
Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Make
Meridian 411
We were on a boat trip down the Texas coast to Port Aransas.* We ran across some friends that were down there for a fishing tournament.* The boat they were crewing on was a 68ft Viking powered by twin MTUs rated at 2400hp EACH!!!!* Anyway, if you're a gear queer it is pretty cool.* Pic take by cellphone camera......* This 80,000lb boat does 45knots at 200gph.* Throttle back to about 38kts and she burns a little under 150!

Attachments

• mtu.jpg
    mtu.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 92
What I didn't realize is that this is the only choice of power in a pleasure boat if you need that much power. No one else makes an engine rated at that much. I think MTU stand for Mercedes Turbo Unit. The engine is by Mercedes but I think it is Detroit that puts it together.

The 80' Elco PT boat of WWII was powered with three Packard V-12 marine engines (NOT aircraft engines as many people believe) that developed 1350 hp each on a good day. That's a total of 4,050 hp, 750 less than the Viking. The boat weighed 102,000 lbs, 22,000 lbs more than the Viking. It was claimed that an 80' Elco PT could go 40 knots but that actually only happened when the boats were brand new on sea trials at the factory. Once they were on station with all the crap they got loaded down with and marine growth on them they were lucky to do 20 mph with all three engines running properly (which was also a somewhat rare occurance).

At maximum sustained speed of 2,000 rpm, each Packard 4M-2500 gas engine burned 97 gallons an hour. The boats carried 3,000 gallons of fuel, which gave them a theoretical endurance of 10 hours at 35 knots. In actuality both numbers were considerably less.

John's Viking is more impressive in power and speed although the PT boats burned more fuel. But fuel was dirt cheap in the early 1940s.......

-- Edited by Marin at 21:08, 2007-11-21

Attachments

• packard 4m-2500.jpg
    packard 4m-2500.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 100
  • pt-117.jpg
    pt-117.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 86
Charles---- You're correct. Both experimental PT boats built by the Navy Yard, PT-7 and PT-8, were dogs. The boats had somewhat similar designs but PT-7 was wood where PT-8 is aluminum. Since the two boats looked somewhat similar, it's a common assumption that they were both metal. I see that PT-8 is for sale.

-- Edited by Marin at 12:19, 2007-11-26

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom