You are going to need a bigger boat.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Too bad the video quit when it did. I bet that last wave scared the crap out of the guy taking the video.

I took this one from the main battery director of USS Iowa somewhere off Iceland in 1985. As I recall my perch was about 112 feet above the waterline. My guys in Turret I got to the booth (top part of the turret) by going through the magazines at the bottom of the ship and then climbing upward five decks through the center of the turret. There are large vent holes under the back ends of the turrets, and they were getting some water through them.

Attachments

• PICT0042.jpg
    PICT0042.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 158
Always amazed they don’t snap in two.

Wow, it doesn't get much bigger than a fully loaded 1000' oil tanker. Videos like that make ya think about just staying in your bathtub with a rubber ducky

A cat, like a 42' Freeman, would just eat that stuff up. Cruising with quads, at 40 knots, it'd just skip over the crests of each wave. Oh wait, this isn't TheHullTruth. Never mind.

Left Coaster, that's a great idea. Go out there and make sure to turn your GoPro on. I bet you get at least one really good skip...

... perhaps only one!

A cat, like a 42' Freeman, would just eat that stuff up. Cruising with quads, at 40 knots, it'd just skip over the crests of each wave. Oh wait, this isn't TheHullTruth. Never mind.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::speed boat:

Can you just imagine the amount of stress that steel is undergoing ?

pete

Too bad the video quit when it did. I bet that last wave scared the crap out of the guy taking the video.

It probably stopped when he dropped it and it hit the deck! :D

I was trying to imagine what it would have felt like in a small boat sailing along next to him (up until the point you died, I mean). :)

Do you figure it took out the PH windows, and that was the sound of breaking glass?? Or just stuff getting thrown around? Sounded like glass to me, but from where?

The amazing thing is that through the first part I was thinking, rough, but OK. Those fenders will be gone in short order, but that's probably all.

Until....

And that pretty much sums up boating in bad conditions. ... Until....

At about 9 seconds you can see that wave crest coming in the distance, standing out and above all others. At least in a smaller boat you’d be able to make a turn into it...would still get ugly though!

Last edited:
At about 9 seconds you can see that wave crest coming in the distance, standing out and above all others. At least in a smaller boat you’d be able to make a turn into it...would still get ugly though!

Or unless it’s at night, which seems to be when all bad things happen.

Edmund Fitzgerald - 35' or more seas with most likely a shorter period than ocean waves.

In an area susceptible to reflected waves and a greater chance of a rogue wave.

IIRC...built to lighter standards than ocean goers and possibly flooded first due to hatches causing the sinking, the breaking in two was secondary.

Another theory was hitting a shoal that broke her back.

Another theory was structural and manintenance deficiencies including bad keel welds.

and more..... so I wouldn't necessarily compare ocean battered VLCCs and an ore carrier....the incident of the Fitz in particular.

and more..... so I wouldn't necessarily compare ocean battered VLCCs and an ore carrier....the incident of the Fitz in particular.
That may all be true, but the end result is that the Edmund Fitzgerald split in half.

That may all be true, but the end result is that the Edmund Fitzgerald split in half.

When though?

From a wave?

From a shoal?

On the way down with all the ore shifting?

Upon hitting bottom?

It might be in one of the stories about the incident but not in the accounts I have read.

So it split at some point, many wrecks are broken in two or more parts.....

Ships split, but the million dollar question is why.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, think of the Edmund Fitzgerald. It did snap in two, and that was on Lake Superior not out in the ocean.

Yeah, I get it does happen. But I still can't imagine the stresses that length of ship is under in those conditions. It's amazing it does not happen more frequently.

Bruce K wrote:
The late John Clarke, and Brian Dawe, at work.

And what wonderful work it was. RIP.

That’s terrifying.

I read Bernard Moitessier’s The Long Way and he talked about running with huge seas under bare poles and surfing down giant waves for hours and hours. Not sure his giant waves were this giant however.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom