Old 10-31-2018, 03:43 PM   #101
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDC View Post
A 2015 report by the USCoE states that there was 2.6 million tons between VA and Jacksonville, practically nothing between Jacksonville and Miami and 110 million tons on the Gulf waterway. Commercial fishing seemed to go in/out of their harbors to open water but not much along the ICW. It seems like a lot of infrastructure and maintenance for what looks like little utility.
Traveling the ICW South of Stuart you come to bridgeville and recreational boater congestion. The waterway is likely too slow for most commercial traffic. Between the multitude of bridges they would have to slow down for, the recreational boaters they would likely reduce speed because of, and the reduced widths in many areas, it's likely not economical.

BTW, regarding cost of maintenance and utility, recreational boaters have an exponential greater presence in FL on the ICW than most other areas, and the private sector probably pays a much higher percentage of the cost to maintain all of the ICW through our taxes.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:18 PM   #102
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
WifeyB, most were in the 3'-5' range with a few larger ones. Those were the ones that washed down the pilothouse windows.

When we're in stuff like that we're usually around 9-9.5kts. That's our hull speed and she seems to like running in that range.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:29 PM   #103
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I think it is really hard to judge wave height from a video taken over the bow. It is easier for me to judge height by looking out the PH window to the side. Even then, it is hard from a 2D video to get a sense of the size of the waves.
Wifey B: Agree. But I think a lot of people have a problem judging anyway. A few judge like they do fish and something else I won't mention and everything is bigger in their minds than reality. But then others think of just height and don't think of depth and the fact wave height is from crest to trough. I'm thinking perhaps some of those leery of 2' waves are doing that.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:29 PM   #104
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Or the wind was blowing the tops off the smaller waves.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:42 PM   #105
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
WifeyB, most were in the 3'-5' range with a few larger ones. Those were the ones that washed down the pilothouse windows.

When we're in stuff like that we're usually around 9-9.5kts. That's our hull speed and she seems to like running in that range.
Wifey B: That's close to what I would have guessed. I was 4-6' at the outset and down to about 3' by the end of the video.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:16 PM   #106
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
The wind blowing the tops off the waves make the wave look bigger.

Hey, let's ask the person who posted the video!!!
Old 10-31-2018, 08:23 PM   #107
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
After 106 posts (now 107) I don't think anyone has asked the OP (Mr. at) why he was asking. I suspect curiosity but maybe not.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:22 AM   #108

City: North
Vessel Name: Broadbill
Vessel Model: Willard 36
Full time liveaboard

So far in Mass. the winter has been mild,only one snow storm brought 18 inches,other than that been in the 30-40 degrees with an occasional 50 degree day plus being a hardcore fisherman rain or shine I go,but for this winter so far get off work by 330 and 3 of the 5 days after work try to cruise,I like night cruising,the wind drops out,no one around,and run her out 3 or 4 miles past breakwater,for a total of about 10 miles or so,she's still very new to me so the excitement hasn't wore off,even just taking a little harbor cruise,plus have 250 gallons of old diesel trying to burn up by spring,and before me the previous owner didn't use her much,an occasional Sunday put,she was in the water but not used much,so its almost like rebreaking in the engine
Lostsailor13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 05:29 AM   #109
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
[QUOTE=atunkiller;707595]Do you travel in the rain?
stay home?
What are your limits[/QUOTE

If I was leaving home for a day trip, I wouldn't see the point in going out if it was to rain all day. If you are away from home and on a trip I don't unferstand the concern about rain
backinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 05:51 AM   #110
FF
Guru

NO , not in a motor boat , but when living aboard near NYC we would go for a sail on New Years Day , as long as the harbor was not iced in.

Since the Dickinson furnace worked fine at any angle of heel , and the H style smoke head worked fine ,
it was a great time to travel with just the storm sails , as an experiment.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:18 AM   #111
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I never leave port in crummy weather. That is not to say that I never arrive in port in crummy weather, we all have.

Given the choice I stay put. Home port or a transient safe harbor.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:07 PM   #112
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I'm an all weather trawler as long as the weather never gets worse than the California Delta can dish out. Any colder, rougher or wetter, I'm a wimp...thus the pink hat.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:09 AM   #113
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
In my younger years I would go out in anything, almost didn’t survive a few times. Now I prefer a more gentle trip if possible. No bruises or pulled muscles the next day.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:07 PM   #114
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
A friend and I were taking Beachcomber to Portland a couple of years ago. Jim likes my boat a LOT because it is so stable in rough water. He found this video on his computer and sent it to me (all 158MB of it). This is in an area of the Columbia (Thirteen Mile Point) where the river narrows quite a bit because of the hills on both sides forming a natural choke point for the winds and current.

You can kind of see by his smile how much he likes driving my boat in these waters compared to his.

https://youtu.be/RbnWsiXTiLI
Old 01-24-2021, 06:10 PM   #115
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
chicken of the sea here! Never go out in wx!...
Old 01-25-2021, 04:40 AM   #116
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
chicken of the sea here! Never go out in wx!...

I find that hard to believe knowing your job. Or are you just talking about recreational boating?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:04 AM   #117
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDC View Post
A bit of topic drift but I'll drift along. We went from Stuart to Mobile this summer and were surprised at the lack of commercial traffic on the waterway. Okeechobee-Ft. Meyers-Tampa-Apalachicola-Panama City: only activity was dredging, no shipping. The first barges we saw were west of Pensacola. A 2015 report by the USCoE states that there was 2.6 million tons between VA and Jacksonville, practically nothing between Jacksonville and Miami and 110 million tons on the Gulf waterway. Commercial fishing seemed to go in/out of their harbors to open water but not much along the ICW. It seems like a lot of infrastructure and maintenance for what looks like little utility.
Might seem like little commercial traffic, but different organizations have shown where recreational boating has caught and passed commercial in terms of economics....thus the politicians give money to the ACOE to keep it all going. As far as bridges go, more and more high rise are built to eliminate the drawbridge. Some lock systems like the Dismal Swamp are so historic in nature, funding comes from many sources last I heard.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:13 AM   #118
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Sea conditions and wind are what stops us from leaving a decent anchorage or what makes us run for a better one.

Rain doesn't bother us even though we have no wipers.
Radar and a squeegee.
Stop if we must
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:40 AM   #119
Guru

City: Winthrop
Vessel Model: Pacific Trawler 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigatoo View Post
If it’s not comfortable we don’t travel. Depends on the weather and current state of mind. It’s supposed to be fun.
Yep!
Old 01-25-2021, 07:17 AM   #120
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Rain is no reason to stay home if I'm going somewhere. I wouldn't go out in bad weather for a pleasure cruise. I do watch the marine forecasts and stay home if it's too rough. funny thing is how often they say "seas 1 foot or less" and I find myself in 4 footers.
backinblue is offline   Reply With Quote