Are Yeti coolers worth the cost?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I’ve been using them for a couple years out on the waters and camping etc. I’ve used them along with regular coolers and the off bran ARCTC brand coolers and I would say they do keep things cold longer. If it were me I would still use the cheaper ARCTC brand because I don’t really notice a difference in time the beer is kept cold.

Seriously, I don't know why some folks need to take swipes at others to justify their posts. If you don't want to buy a Yeti, it simple, don't buy one.

My read through the thread is except for one member (post #33) is that everyone who has a Yeti (including myself) is happy with their purchase. For the one negative post, I would be interested in hearing why that was so.

When I was a kid, my Dad taught me to use the right tool for the right job. As my previous post (#11) noted, I have a Yeti Tundra 35 and an ICECO JP30 (30 liter) portable fridge/freezer. I also have a small, cheap, very portable Igloo Marine cooler as well.

The Yeti is used off-roading with out UTV's or when we need ice for a long period of time. My portable electric fridge/freezer is used for traveling in my truck. My Igloo is used for those days when I need to keep a six pack of drinks and a couple of sandwiches cold for 4 - 6 hours. Neither is superior, but a different tool for a different job.

Jim

If it were me I would still use the cheaper ARCTC brand because I don’t really notice a difference in time the beer is kept cold.

Is this because the beer is gone quick enough it doesn't make a difference? :rofl::D:thumb:

Jim

Seriously, I don't know why some folks need to take swipes at others to justify their posts. If you don't want to buy a Yeti, it simple, don't buy one.

My read through the thread is except for one member (post #33) is that everyone who has a Yeti (including myself) is happy with their purchase. For the one negative post, I would be interested in hearing why that was so.

When I was a kid, my Dad taught me to use the right tool for the right job. As my previous post (#11) noted, I have a Yeti Tundra 35 and an ICECO JP30 (30 liter) portable fridge/freezer. I also have a small, cheap, very portable Igloo Marine cooler as well.

The Yeti is used off-roading with out UTV's or when we need ice for a long period of time. My portable electric fridge/freezer is used for traveling in my truck. My Igloo is used for those days when I need to keep a six pack of drinks and a couple of sandwiches cold for 4 - 6 hours. Neither is superior, but a different tool for a different job.

Jim

The OP was whether Yetis are worth the cost.

This is like the Snap-On versus Craftsman versus Harbor Freight tools.

Pro
Handyman
Amateur

Everyone is happy, none are right or wrong. Only if you try and use stuff that is wrong for you.

But saying one is best...without a nice tightly controlled science based comparison....I would never take just the word of what people own....all my life brand loyalty has often been proven to be stronger than the facts.

Last edited:
Human nature tells us that (a) if you have a Yeti...and you paid a lot for it...you will tend to think favorably of it and will give a good review; (b) if you have a Yeti and for some reason are NOT overly happy with your purchase, you will tend NOT to post that; (c) if you have any other brand that cost less than the Yeti and if you are even moderately happy with it, you will tend to post your satisfaction and a large part of that satisfaction is the fact that you paid a lot less than the Yeti.

I love my 80 qt Engle. Is it the best? Is it better than the Yeti? Is it a better deal? Is it the best bang for the buck? Who knows? I bought it, I like it, it keeps food cool a long time in the Utah desert at 113 degrees F. and that's all I can contribute.

I’ve borrowed 2 of the smaller Yetis- glad I didn’t buy them after using them for a week. Too heavy and no capacity for food and ice. My fiancé bought me a large Rugged Road cooler- it’s amazing, light weight, and it floats. I used it to carry a weeks worth of frozen meat for a vacation in northern Wisconsin. Packed items tightly, used dry ice, left Dallas on a Wednesday, arrived southeast Wisconsin Friday,, then drove to Hayward on Sunday. We still had solidly frozen meat on the Wednesday,
Cons - unit at time was made w/o drain plug. I think the new ones have drains
Pros - super lightweight, strong, works best w/dry ice
Wouldn’t own anything else!

Brand loyalty is not scientific proof of capability or worth.

Actually it is. Market value is determined by purchasers. If it sells at a price, then those buyers have decided that is it's worth. Price it high and it doesn't sell, then the buyers have determined it isn't. As a retailer, I listen to the customer. A lot of times what they value or don't is much in conflict to my personal view, but they are the judge.

To add to my previous post, we often get to Katy, Tx for work. Igloo has their factory and outlet is there. Best deals on their best products.

I seldom use coolers and by no means am I an expert. However, we do sell coolers, primarily Yeti and Igloo. I judge by the customer and the market and based on that Yeti has the strongest, most loyal, following there is. This is absolutely not people just jumping on a popularity bandwagon, but people with knowledge and experience who have had friends use them or have used them themselves. I grew up with throw away styrofoam coolers for the day and the prices alarm me but the quality is definitely there. No one complains and people don't return them.

We have used them a couple of times on our trips to NC and been very pleased.

If one's need and use doesn't require a YETI, then many other brands, including Igloo which can do the job. However, do not demean the YETI buyer. They know what they're doing. I believe the market.

Wow, that is real 1920's-1970's thinking. Since then, in the "modern world", sales and market have nothing to do with QUALITY of a product. Ask yourself, is a woman's "Fendi" handbag that sells for $5,000, and sells off the shelf (aka they can't keep them in stock!) tell you a Fendi bag is a quality product?? Nonsense. A Fendi bag is made out of vinyl and polyester, by 10 and 12 year old CHILDREN and robots in the usual far-east countries for pennies. And is turned around and sold to unsuspecting wealthy Americans for $5,000. $4,500 of that goes to pay for a mansion in South Beach Miami, the other $500 goes to the middlemen, and departments store that sold it. But the fact is, the Fendi bag is nothing short of an absolute worthless piece of junk. The high sales and "market" for them are purely the "show off factor" caused by the likes of the instagram and other social media nonsense.

Now I'm not saying the Yeti cooler is junk, it's not. They are very well made coolers. But you can get better ones, for less money. Watch the ice test yourself, Yeti is middle of the road:

https://youtu.be/_0YmWvLvcRA

Brand loyalty is not scientific proof of capability or worth.

Amen. It used to be, but not any more. It's now proof of good social media marketing, and nothing more. It's sad really.

Actually it is. Market value is determined by purchasers. If it sells at a price, then those buyers have decided that is it's worth. Price it high and it doesn't sell, then the buyers have determined it isn't. As a retailer, I listen to the customer. A lot of times what they value or don't is much in conflict to my personal view, but they are the judge.

"Value" and "QUALITY" are two very different things in today's world. As mentioned above, they used to be the same, not any more.

Again, WATCH THE ICE TEST, a real test of all the coolers side by side tells the tale:

https://youtu.be/_0YmWvLvcRA

That's an innocent and simple retail sales-helpful procedure: "Follow the money"!

OK, so a fraction of cooler buyers determine what a cooler is worth?

I see that working for a business (model), but not necessarily all consumers as the ones that don't buy are also helping determine its worth in the sense of volume.

The problem is that value is not universal, and people value things beyond their functionality.

Does anyone need a Rolex? A Casio G-shock is probably as durable and definitely more accurate.

Lots of Range Rovers never leave the pavement. You don't need all that off-road capability to go from your house to the country club and back.

I am not saying a Rolex or a Range Rover aren't very fine products. I am just pointing out that people place as much value on image as they do on function, and there's nothing wrong with that. Wealth entitles people to status symbols and I think a lot of products are bought because people want to be seen with "the best" of something, even when they don't need it. Not everyone needs a watch that is waterproof to 1000 feet, an SUV that can go through 36 inches of water, or a cooler that can keep ice for 10 days, but these things are nice to have. Does that make them "worth it" ??

Last edited:
RTIC all the way.

Have three RTIC hard coolers, 110qt, 65qt and a 20qt. Also have a few of the soft coolers. Hard coolers live on the boat 8 months a year. Absolutely not one complaint.

If the OP was only " Who makes the highest ranked coolers" or "what brand cooler holds ice the longest".. the answers may have been in tighter groups....

I have a Yeti 45, yet to use it. I managed the financing issue by letting the word out that our adult children could pitch in for a well appreciated Xmas gift. :) No doubt I will enjoy using it!

If I had spent that much money on a cooler, I'd be living out with the dogs!!

I took a big IGLOO - drilled two small holes in the lid and more in sides. Triple foam sprayed thru the holes until all sides and lid were full and oozing out the opposite hole. Out maybe $30 in spray foam for a cooler I've had for five years. We use only block ice.

OK, so a fraction of cooler buyers determine what a cooler is worth?

I see that working for a business (model), but not necessarily all consumers as the ones that don't buy are also helping determine its worth in the sense of volume.

It depends if your asking what they are really "worth" (form and function) OR what they are "worth" per image! If you want to buy an "image" of owning something expensive, that's one thing but is different than wanting to buy the most functional item, it this case a cooler. The most functional cooler would be the one that holds ice the longest. See the youtube test for that. Many folks buy a Yeti so they can say they have a yeti, and show it on the deck. That's fine, that's there decision. The op asked if they are really worth functional wise what they cost. That is debatable as there are other brands similarly priced or less expensive that work better. That's all I'm pointing out.

The problem is that value is not universal, and people value things beyond their functionality.

Does anyone need a Rolex? A Casio G-shock is probably as durable and definitely more accurate.

Lots of Range Rovers never leave the pavement. You don't need all that off-road capability to go from your house to the country club and back.

I am not saying a Rolex or a Range Rover aren't very fine products. I am just pointing out that people place as much value on image as they do on function, and there's nothing wrong with that. Wealth entitles people to status symbols and I think a lot of products are bought because people want to be seen with "the best" of something, even when they don't need it. Not everyone needs a watch that is waterproof to 1000 feet, an SUV that can go through 36 inches of water, or a cooler that can keep ice for 10 days, but these things are nice to have. Does that make them "worth it" ??

Comparing a Rolex and Range Rover type purchase by folks that don't use them is also a bit different. They are high quality products for the most part arguably worth their cost. If your lucky enough to afford them and buy them but don't really need them, nothing wrong with that in my mind. You got what you paid for, regardless if you need it.

In the example of a Fendi hand bag I mentioned earlier, your NOT getting your moneys worth. Your getting junk, inferior product, your paying for nothing but the image and name. To me, there is no "value" in that. If a Fendi was hand made with high end leather, silk threads..... ok, then have at it. But....

It depends if your asking what they are really "worth" (form and function) OR what they are "worth" per image! If you want to buy an "image" of owning something expensive, that's one thing but is different than wanting to buy the most functional item, it this case a cooler. The most functional cooler would be the one that holds ice the longest. See the youtube test for that. Many folks buy a Yeti so they can say they have a yeti, and show it on the deck. That's fine, that's there decision. The op asked if they are really worth functional wise what they cost. That is debatable as there are other brands similarly priced or less expensive that work better. That's all I'm pointing out.

Comparing a Rolex and Range Rover type purchase by folks that don't use them is also a bit different. They are high quality products for the most part arguably worth their cost. If your lucky enough to afford them and buy them but don't really need them, nothing wrong with that in my mind. You got what you paid for, regardless if you need it.

In the example of a Fendi hand bag I mentioned earlier, your NOT getting your moneys worth. Your getting junk, inferior product, your paying for nothing but the image and name. To me, there is no "value" in that. If a Fendi was hand made with high end leather, silk threads..... ok, then have at it. But....[/QUOTE

Thats not necessarily what I would think, the most functional cooler is still subjective, not automatically the one that holds the ice the longest.

The more defined the question, the more defined the answer.

And a Rolex and Range Rover might be priced according to a list of specifications and performance factors, but still not worth it to some because worth is determined by the buyer...not really much else from what I can tell.

If its so simple tell me what a pet rock is worth? Or a collectable? What its functionality is?...or what someone will spend for it?

Talking use-performance factors, re coolers

We own several...

Two are rather smallish push button flip lid, elevated center hand hold types. Each fits 4 medium size crushed ice bags [or ice pick shaped block ice] for carrying from store to runabout when ice replenishment need occurs while we are enjoying swimming off our long term anchored-out Tolly.

One is a BIG white Coleman, with flat lid and side handles. This we use for food and ice transport from house to boat. Then we transport it in a dual wheel barrow from SUV to boat.

At boat - We offload the big Coleman's goods into a BIG "Lifetime" Cooler [equal quality to a Yeti at 1/3 cost]. The Lifetime stays aboard in salon at all times and does well for preserving ice and maintaining cold extra food/drinks. Empty white Coleman goes back to RV for reverse food/drink transport home at end of cruising and anchoring.

:speed boat::speed boat::speed boat: :thumb::thumb::thumb:

PS: Dear Mod Squad!! Ya know what's pretty amazing... on a forum called "Trawler" Forum... there's a Speed Boat emoji but no Trawler emoji. I make a motion to have both emoji available! Maybe even a couple of different designs for each! Whadda ya think??

Its not just the ice test that determines value or worth. It is also the durability and life span, the ability to repair or get parts, the warranty, the ease of operation, and finally the looks.
The new yeti deck chair at $300 is looking good.

Bud

Yeti worth it?

Shelly and I moved to Long Island NY in 2015 from Maine. Our boat preceded us in the slip by a week or two, and so when we finally arrived all our new dock mates were curious as heck about these 'newbies' from MAINE. They all had Yeti coolers, and they told us we needed one. They were not impressed by the wet and dry towels that we draped over our cooler to give additional R-Value and shade. It was a running joke that I loved whipping up. I told them about my plan to go to Home Depot to buy some more insulation if I needed it to keep our ice going. That got me through year 1.

Year 2: My admiral had succumbed to their advice, "Honey, we just have to get a Yeti! It will save us so much money on ice!" The clique of dock mates still could not figure us out. I figured I was going to have some fun with this... but my wife's birthday was not until August!?!

So, I not only bought her a Yeti, but I also got a matching decal with the boat name (Her nick name!!! Matching 2-color Font!!!) affixed to the Yeti, and took her picture over the transom showing the boat name, new Yeti with matching boat name, and her pearly whites proud as hell about her 2-month early BD present!

Well, we started being invited to all their outings, and rafting up destinations, and such. My wife is happy with her early BD present. I guess I scored one. It still seems to work "Half Decent".

God help us if we loose that drain plug! Ayah.

Thats not necessarily what I would think, the most functional cooler is still subjective, not automatically the one that holds the ice the longest.

The more defined the question, the more defined the answer.

Of course, but I think we can all assume he wants to know what COOLER keeps ice the longest. There's not much else to compare on a cooler except weight and price.

And a Rolex and Range Rover might be priced according to a list of specifications and performance factors, but still not worth it to some because worth is determined by the buyer...not really much else from what I can tell.

If its so simple tell me what a pet rock is worth? Or a collectable? What its functionality is?...or what someone will spend for it?

There's always exceptions to every rule.

I have a Yeti 210, and have used it extensively. My answer ... I think so, but I’m not absolutely sure. When I bought mine there were no close competitors, now there are. I’m very happy with mine for many reasons. Ice retention is fantastic ... on one very unsuccessful salmon fishing trip the yeti showed virtually NO ice melt during the 5 days it was unopened. It is HEAVY, but that combined with it’s nonslip pads kept it planted In the cockpit of my sport fisher in very rough sea conditions. The 210 is LARGE and doubles as a cockpit bench and as a usable table. I’ve actually had two ... I think I warped the lid of my first one by putting a black SaeDek pad on it. The pad shrunk dramatically in the sun and the corners of the Yeti were slightly pulled up ... Yeti delivered a new unit to my home at no cost. So to answer your question, are they worth it ... I’m not absolutely sure, but I think so for me. You probably will not be disappointed if it’s the last cooler you ever buy.

I have two Pelican performance cookers. Similar rugged nylons construction with 4" walls. They supplements my cold storage on the deck of may boat in Mexico. Nice thing is that everything in the cooler gets cold, not just the items in the ice. I use frozen milk bottles filled with water that I daily rotate from my 5cf freezer to keep extra meat and produce cold on hectended offshore trips. It lasts infinitely. Small complaint about Yeti, I don't like the colors. I think the Pelicans are a similar price. Lifetime warranty.

Shelly and I moved to Long Island NY in 2015 from Maine. Our boat preceded us in the slip by a week or two, and so when we finally arrived all our new dock mates were curious as heck about these 'newbies' from MAINE. They all had Yeti coolers, and they told us we needed one. They were not impressed by the wet and dry towels that we draped over our cooler to give additional R-Value and shade. It was a running joke that I loved whipping up. I told them about my plan to go to Home Depot to buy some more insulation if I needed it to keep our ice going. That got me through year 1.

Year 2: My admiral had succumbed to their advice, "Honey, we just have to get a Yeti! It will save us so much money on ice!" The clique of dock mates still could not figure us out. I figured I was going to have some fun with this... but my wife's birthday was not until August!?!

So, I not only bought her a Yeti, but I also got a matching decal with the boat name (Her nick name!!! Matching 2-color Font!!!) affixed to the Yeti, and took her picture over the transom showing the boat name, new Yeti with matching boat name, and her pearly whites proud as hell about her 2-month early BD present!

Well, we started being invited to all their outings, and rafting up destinations, and such. My wife is happy with her early BD present. I guess I scored one. It still seems to work "Half Decent".

God help us if we loose that drain plug! Ayah.

LOL!!

To the folks complaining about the heavy weight of the roto molded coolers, which is a very valid complaint, just keep both types of coolers handy. I have a few big Marine Igloo coolers that I use for day or weekend trips. They work fine for a couple days, and are 1/4-1/2 the weight and much easier to move around. But when your going offshore fishing, or cruising for a week or more, then bite the bullet and grab the heavy roto molded cooler by Otterbox, Lifeline, RITC or any of the others that outperformed the yeti! :D

A few other things to compare on these coolers that are important to me that may help somebody else choose one are:
1. The enclosure clamps/straps/bands: I dislike the yeti style rubber bands that you have to pull down and latch to the bottom part. And to open you have to put your fingers around the rubber and pull down hard to free them. My wife can barely do it herself, she doesn’t have the hand strength. Many of the other brands have copied this with similar designs. Otterbox has the easiest by far to operate with a more mechanical latch, and they smartly reversed it so it latches on the top, not the bottom. So when you un-latch them, the latch falls away and does not grab onto the top. The yeti rubber band type you often have to hold out of the way as you try to swing the top open on the cooler or they will grab the top and hold it closed.

2. Ability to put in separators inside the coolers. Almost none of the Roto molded coolers have slots to slide in separators inside the cooler to keep food separate from drinks for example, or beer separate from soft drinks.... The Otterbox Venture series does, which I love. Another brand that has this feature is the Coleman “Extreme series” coolers. The Coleman Extreme is not a high performance roto molded type cooler, but a great feature for a cheap $100 cooler that none of the other much more expensive units have.

Another plus the Otterbox Venture series has that I don’t know if anyone else does?? The bottom floor of the entire cooler is slanted slightly toward the drain plug. So when/if you want to drain the cooler, there is no need to lift one side, or prop one side up to allow it to drain. Just unscrew the drain plug and it drains 100%.

So to me, there are only 3 things to compare on coolers in this order:
1. Ice retention
2. Latch type
3. Ability to add separators
The 4th would normally be size, weight and shape, but they are all very similar on those.

And those are the same things the “expert” on YouTube goes over in his tests. Those tests are fantastic... the guy does a great job.

Last edited:
A friend of mine let me "test-drive" his Yeti for a 2 week cruise. It was no better than the 120 Quart Coleman Coastal Extreme cooler that I paid $90 for. Like Lollygag1, we also condition our coolers the night before with frozen gallon jugs of spring water. Blow your money on fuel not coolers!

A friend of mine let me "test-drive" his Yeti for a 2 week cruise. It was no better than the 120 Quart Coleman Coastal Extreme cooler that I paid $90 for. Like Lollygag1, we also condition our coolers the night before with frozen gallon jugs of spring water. Blow your money on fuel not coolers!

The Coleman coastal like all non-roto molded regular coolers will get 2 to 5 days ice retention, at best. The expensive, heavy coolers discussed here get between 5 and 12 days ice retention. There is no comparison. Suggesting otherwise is non-sense. Watch the YouTube scientific tests yourself (links posted previously).

There are downsides, heavy, store less per square ft of size, and expensive. But ice retention is not one of there downsides. ;)

Back
Top Bottom