Yearn for cozy cabin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazyguamboy

I have a 34 ft FuHwa trawler, and the parlor is pretty basic. The seats are bench style (with cushions). Very uninviting, almost church-like. Has anyone done any renovating to make their parlor/cabin more like a living room? I'm even thinking about removing the benches and putting in a couch, comfy chairs and lamps. Any ideas? Or better yet, photos? Thanks in advance.

As long as the built-ins can be removed without compromising anything, I say go for it!

Make sure you'll be able to fit comfy chairs and or couch in through the doors

Good point

Thanks. I was thinking in lines of a futon-style set-up ... easy install, and can be another comfortable bed. I lose some storage underneath. But that's ok.

The RV folks have had this problem solved for 6 decades. Its called Zero clearance furniture.

Comes apart to fit thru most doors .

A recliner seat will slide FWD so it does not have to be out from a wall to recline.

Usually high end stuff , so is pricy but really comfortable.

A pad eye and a chain will be needed to keep it in place in a sea way.

Springs in seats are the answer , nothing on a plywood bench is comfortable after 15 min.

I have a 34 ft FuHwa trawler, and the parlor is pretty basic. The seats are bench style (with cushions). Very uninviting, almost church-like. Has anyone done any renovating to make their parlor/cabin more like a living room? I'm even thinking about removing the benches and putting in a couch, comfy chairs and lamps. Any ideas? Or better yet, photos? Thanks in advance.

Hey you crazy Guam boy,
How's it going? So you want to get comfy? I hear ya, it's what your boat is all about,, that wonderful place to decompress in cozy comfort. We had the same thoughts when we bought our boat. Cozy it up a bit for how we like it (it's such a personal choice). We ripped out the boating-standard strait-back settee cushions and replaced them with new deeper cushions, and pillow style back rests. We wanted it to resemble a comfy couch like you would have a home, but retain the usefullness of easy access to the storage below. The seat supports are standard 3/8" plywood, velcroed into position.

Carpet, and blinds help to cozy things up a bit.
check out: Projects | Infinity to see what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom