Yachting Caps Anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wifey B: Yes and no. Very different in frequency and intensity...

Which would explain Florida having nearly double the number of melanoma cases per capita than Alaska, according to the CDC.

I bet your overcast days are nothing like our ground scudding, thousands of feet thick, thousands of square miles in area cloud formation overcast days, which usually run into weeks.

Think Ketchikan, and that's pretty much the environment here...less rain, more snow!

Last edited:
Which would explain Florida having nearly double the number of melanoma cases per capita than Alaska, according to the CDC.

I bet your overcast days are nothing like our ground scudding, thousands of feet thick, thousands of square miles in area cloud formation overcast days, which usually run into weeks.

Think Ketchikan, and that's pretty much the environment here...less rain, more snow!

Wifey B: Been there, saw it. Still wore sunscreen. Long days in the summer. Now, I have some serious questions. In South Florida see a lot of yacht crews, see a lot of boaters, don't see the percentage wearing caps or hats as reflected on this site. Crew Uniform stores sell caps, or some do, but don't see them emphasized. Would seem, based on all discussed here, to be a major oversight.

Now I'd also think that a certain amount of thick hair would be as effective as a cap. However, perhaps some of you can site information that says it isn't. Our of curiosity inspired by this thread, several of us had each other look very closely at our heads and could see no signs of any sun exposure. Regardless, we're going to look at caps for all.

Then another key question. Brimmed hat vs cap. Obviously brimmed might protect ears and forehead or even face better. I still don't see it alleviating the need for sunscreen and just wondering does sunscreen eliminate the need for brimmed.

Oh, and by law, we only allow 3 or 4 truly rainy days a year. Otherwise just an hour or two in the afternoon. :D

I also ask all you hat wearers, are you being as diligent in using sunscreen? Covering your head not going to protect the rest of you. What SPF are you using? We started this trip with over 500 tubes of sunscreen. :rofl:

WifeyB, when we're down in AZ I always wear a hat, usually a wide brimmed hat, even in the swimming pool or out running around in the Whaler. I don't wear it if we're just out running around, in and out of the car, because the brim hits the door post and the top hits the top of the door opening when getting in and out. Major PITA.

For those times it's a baseball cap.

Sunscreen? At my age I question it's usefulness. I've had a few squamous cells excised and those were from damage started 60+ years ago when I was a kid. Sunscreen wasn't even thought of back then.

When I asked my dermatologist about it, I posed this question to him:

--If the damage you're cutting off now is a result of sun I got exposed to over the last 60 years, why wear sun screen? I'll be long dead before any current sun exposure creates problems.

He didn't have an answer to that, just said something to the effect of they recommend it to prevent further damage. So I usually wear it.

Last edited:
Yup, the perfect hat for something.
What that "something" is, I do not know
BrandB on you it looks good.

Wifey B: That wasn't me. I'm a blue eyed blonde. Ok, blonde jokes are fine. But then I might know some old man jokes too. :D

Wifey B: Been there, saw it. Still wore sunscreen. Long days in the summer. Now, I have some serious questions. In South Florida see a lot of yacht crews, see a lot of boaters, don't see the percentage wearing caps or hats as reflected on this site. Crew Uniform stores sell caps, or some do, but don't see them emphasized. Would seem, based on all discussed here, to be a major oversight.

Now I'd also think that a certain amount of thick hair would be as effective as a cap. However, perhaps some of you can site information that says it isn't. Our of curiosity inspired by this thread, several of us had each other look very closely at our heads and could see no signs of any sun exposure. Regardless, we're going to look at caps for all.

Then another key question. Brimmed hat vs cap. Obviously brimmed might protect ears and forehead or even face better. I still don't see it alleviating the need for sunscreen and just wondering does sunscreen eliminate the need for brimmed.

Oh, and by law, we only allow 3 or 4 truly rainy days a year. Otherwise just an hour or two in the afternoon. :D

I also ask all you hat wearers, are you being as diligent in using sunscreen? Covering your head not going to protect the rest of you. What SPF are you using? We started this trip with over 500 tubes of sunscreen. :rofl:

My son is very good about using sunscreen. He spent his college years in SoCal and now is in Dallas Tx. He will NOT wear a hat. I think it is a vanity thing. I, OTOH, am perfectly happy wearing a hat but really hate to be bothered with sunscreen.

That may be part of the reason that I seek out shade in the summer. Rather than spending time and money lathering on sunscreen, I prefer to limit my sun exposure. Harder to do in climates where you spend a lot of time IN the water. That rarely happens around here.

I'm not suggesting that foregoing sunscreen is a good idea and I've had plenty of very serious sunburns in my life. I've also had one carcinoma removed from my temple. I should use sunscreen regularly and more thoroughly.

So yes, crew hats would be a good idea, but I bet most crew are just really good about applying sunscreen in the morning and then again in the afternoon.

WifeyB, when we're down in AZ I always wear a hat, usually a wide brimmed hat, even in the swimming pool or out running around in the Whaler. I don't wear it if we're just out running around, in and out of the car, because the brim hits the door post and the top hits the top of the door opening when getting in and out. Major PITA.

For those times it's a baseball cap.

Sunscreen? At my age I question it's usefulness. I've had a few squamous cells excised and those were from damage started 60+ years ago when I was a kid. Sunscreen wasn't even thought of back then.

--If the damage you're cutting off now is a result of sun I got exposed to over the last 60 years, why wear sun screen? I'll be long dead before any current sun exposure creates problems.

He didn't have an answer to that, just said something to the effect of they recommend it to prevent further damage. So I usually wear it.

Wifey B: "Recommend it to prevent further damage" seems like a pretty good answer to me. I think there's a lot we still don't know about sunscreen and broad spectrum vs just high SPF. Europe is declaring 50+ as the highest rating and no more of this 75 and 85 SPF for them. And UVA vs UVB. Most protect against UVB but many do little for UVA.

I just read EWG's guide and they said sunscreen should be a last resort. Said, you should:
1. Wear clothes, more of them.
2. Plan around the sun, going out only early morning and late afternoon.
3. Find shade and stay in it.
4. Don't get burned. duh.
5. Wear sunglasses
6. Check UV index

Well, we just aren't going to do most of those. For 1, I'm a bikini girl. Not going to wear long sleeves and long pants on the boat or by the pool. For 2, not going to stay indoors from 10 to 5 or whatever. For 3, we do have a top always up on whatever boat or bridge so do that pretty well. For 4, we use sunscreen and neither of us has been burned at all in the last 17+ years. Not since the winter of 2000. For 5, we do wear sunglasses. Hubby didn't till I "splained" the rules and now he has bunches of them. For 6, we're not going to say this is a bad UV day and we can't go out.

We've had no one burned on our boat or in our pool area. We load on the sunscreen as most don't put nearly the quantity the tests are based on. Funny, the younger people have no issues. Now, 60+/- year old couple who have been on the water their entire lives said they'd never used it. We said, "well, that's about to change." I would classify them both as high risk.

We've started the two 3 year olds on sunscreen from the outset. It comes natural to them to put it on. You mention the pool or boat and they immediately come to you and say put it on them. Just like PFD's which they love (I did find them cute ones) but they associate with the fun of boating.

I don't want to fear the sun but just be sensible. Hubby and I went on a walk in the dead of winter, a couple of months after we met, and he got burned and I felt so guilty that I hadn't noticed him burning or done anything. That was it. Never again.

We need to protect those we love, including our friends.

Oh, we only use SPF 50 or so. The chemicals in some of the higher ones have their own negatives and issues.

And thanks to all you older guys for sharing. We do listen on topics like sun and some of you have experienced what we want to avoid. We value the wisdom and experience. :)

One last thing. If your dermatologist hasn't checked every inch of your body, they haven't done what they should. Have your spouse or someone do that as well. There are areas you can't see or don't notice. Anything that doesn't look right needs to be checked. If you've got no one to check for you, at least get mirrors and do it. :eek:

Should I ever wear it?

Just had to share this. I served on the board and eventually as president of the Optometric Physicians of Washington. When I went off the board I was given some gifts. A great gift was a Raymarine remote for the AP on my sailboat. A gag gift was this Yacht Club Cap. They spent $67.50 on this thing and I think this was only the second time I have worn it to take this picture today. The first time was when they gave it to me at a banquet.

Attachments

• WIN_20180427_14_56_54_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180427_14_56_54_Pro.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 35
Just had to share this. I served on the board and eventually as president of the Optometric Physicians of Washington. When I went off the board I was given some gifts. A great gift was a Raymarine remote for the AP on my sailboat. A gag gift was this Yacht Club Cap. They spent $67.50 on this thing and I think this was only the second time I have worn it to take this picture today. The first time was when they gave it to me at a banquet.

Wifey B: You see those on all the charter yachts around here and some of the owner used ones. All the Captains hats. Nice hat. You could wear it in humor and enjoy it one day just to see the reactions. :whistling:

Wifey B: You see those on all the charter yachts around here and some of the owner used ones. All the Captains hats. Nice hat. You could wear it in humor and enjoy it one day just to see the reactions. :whistling:

Yeah, just not in my home waters. :hide:

Remove the band that keeps the shape.
Let it marinate in some sweaty, oily dirt for a week.
Rough up the brim.
That should give the hat character.
OR
Put it back in the box and reinstall it back onto the closet shelf.

Last edited:

I`ve heard that theory before.The lead time for deadly mesothelioma resulting from asbestos fibre(s)entering the lungs is/was thought to be 35 years, but it can be much less, as little as 10 years. Is it similar with sun caused skin cancer, not sure but why take the risk.
A squamous cell carcinoma requires half a centimeter clearance all round the margins of the cancer. Depending on size and where it is, that`s not achieved without unpleasant surgery. SCCs don`t come with an originating date stamp.
Here we are warned that even on cloudy days your skin is at risk. Maybe thicker cloud = less ray transmission, maybe not. Again, why risk it?

Hats or caps are fun , but folks that wear a hat inside are a puzzle.

Did the wearers not have parents?

Well, we just aren't going to do most of those. For 1, I'm a bikini girl. Not going to wear long sleeves and long pants on the boat or by the pool. For 2, not going to stay indoors from 10 to 5 or whatever. For 3, we do have a top always up on whatever boat or bridge so do that pretty well. For 4, we use sunscreen and neither of us has been burned at all in the last 17+ years. Not since the winter of 2000. For 5, we do wear sunglasses. Hubby didn't till I "splained" the rules and now he has bunches of them. For 6, we're not going to say this is a bad UV day and we can't go out.

We've had no one burned on our boat or in our pool area. We load on the sunscreen as most don't put nearly the quantity the tests are based on. Funny, the younger people have no issues. Now, 60+/- year old couple who have been on the water their entire lives said they'd never used it. We said, "well, that's about to change." I would classify them both as high risk.

We've started the two 3 year olds on sunscreen from the outset. It comes natural to them to put it on. You mention the pool or boat and they immediately come to you and say put it on them. Just like PFD's which they love (I did find them cute ones) but they associate with the fun of boating.

I don't want to fear the sun but just be sensible. Hubby and I went on a walk in the dead of winter, a couple of months after we met, and he got burned and I felt so guilty that I hadn't noticed him burning or done anything. That was it. Never again.

We need to protect those we love, including our friends.

Oh, we only use SPF 50 or so. The chemicals in some of the higher ones have their own negatives and issues.

And thanks to all you older guys for sharing. We do listen on topics like sun and some of you have experienced what we want to avoid. We value the wisdom and experience. :)

One last thing. If your dermatologist hasn't checked every inch of your body, they haven't done what they should. Have your spouse or someone do that as well. There are areas you can't see or don't notice. Anything that doesn't look right needs to be checked. If you've got no one to check for you, at least get mirrors and do it. :eek:

Well said Wifey B on our boat we keep several types of sunscreen on and ask everyone to please use it because we want good memories ( unfortunately for me until recent years I had not found a sunscreen that I was not allergic to) I am one of those odd ball Floridians that wears long sleeves most of the time though. As for hats we also have plenty of extra ones on board for people

Yes I think you should at least for grins from people

The sun damages we are experience now is the result an accumulation of many years.
It is not something that happens over night. If this damage occurred over night, one sunburn on a kid, the damage would occur.
Should we use sunscreen, sure if it makes you feel better. Like so many things in out lives.... if we knew were going to live this long, we would have taken better care of ourselves.
Hats? of course. No need to 'trigger' an event. I wear a tilly hat but I still developed a problem on my nose. AND NO, my nose does not stick out beyond the brim of the hat. LOL
My thought is, if we honestly wanted to avoid such events we should have started many years ago. Not having done that, we can blame all this on mama.

Baseball hats look 'cool' but does not provide any protection for your neck nor ears. There used to be base ball hats that had 2 bills, front and back, but haven't seen them in years and they do look a bit dorky unless your name is John Wayne and hunt wild animals in the movies.
If you are going to put your faith in your hat, get and hat with a big brim.

The sun damages we are experience now is the result an accumulation of many years.
It is not something that happens over night. If this damage occurred over night, one sunburn on a kid, the damage would occur.
Should we use sunscreen, sure if it makes you feel better. Like so many things in out lives.... if we knew were going to live this long, we would have taken better care of ourselves.
Hats? of course. No need to 'trigger' an event. I wear a tilly hat but I still developed a problem on my nose. AND NO, my nose does not stick out beyond the brim of the hat. LOL
My thought is, if we honestly wanted to avoid such events we should have started many years ago. Not having done that, we can blame all this on mama.

Not accurate. Yes, the bulk of our damage occurred over many years when we were younger, but the body can regenerate if exposure is stopped. I am a case in point and have seen the results myself. More importantly, this is not my opinion but that of my board certified, 30 years in practice dermatologist. Its a free world so whatever you want to do is cool, but lets make sure we have the facts straight when posting to avoid putting out misleading information for others. If you are not sure, then don't post.

Not accurate. Yes, the bulk of our damage occurred over many years when we were younger, but the body can regenerate if exposure is stopped. I am a case in point and have seen the results myself. More importantly, this is not my opinion but that of my board certified, 30 years in practice dermatologist. Its a free world so whatever you want to do is cool, but lets make sure we have the facts straight when posting to avoid putting out misleading information for others. If you are not sure, then don't post.

Let's start at the beginning.

Sun damage is accumulative, can we agree on that?

Let's start at the beginning.

Sun damage is accumulative, can we agree on that?

Wifey B: That's like saying it won't hurt to smoke for a couple of years and a dangerous statement, not because it's totally wrong but because it's interpretation is misleading. Most severe sun damage is the result of time. However, one can have damage in a rather short time too, especially when one has skin that was previously exposed many years. This means that as one ages and their skin ages, then short term sun is more of a threat to them. Most sun damage is the result of years but the base of years of exposure is already there and you may well get damage with very short term exposure later in life.

You could also say at 70 years old, not to worry about sun because you don't have long to live anyway. But you might find yourself regretting that and dealing with knives much more than you'd want. If your skin has been exposed for 70 years, it may take very little additional sun to cause problems.

It may take 1000 sunburns or it may just take 1 more. :eek:

We used to spend summer holidays in the sunny, southern interior area of BC when I was a kid, and I'm a moley guy, so I've been proactive with my doctor.

Your GP can't see your back or under your hair during an appointment for something else...ask for a quick mole search at the end of the appointment.

So far I've had two moles cut out and while things were abnormal, they weren't cancerous or spreading.

Takes a few minutes to look and could quite possibly save your life.

Last edited:
We keep spray on, rub in, even smear on sunscreens aboard. All are supposed to be good for up to 1.5 +/- hrs. in water. We reapply often during day and apply at morning before going into sun. I wear full circle, wide brim hats "EVERY" time I'm outside... Summer, Spring, Winter, Fall. I put hat on just to step out of car and go into convenience store... always wearing one outside of boat. Wide brim Hats accomplish two good things for me - 1. Reduction of sun rays on my shaved head and other upper body portions. 2. Greatly reduced sun glare onto my eye glasses. All n' all I've got about 3 wide brims that remain aboard boat (I even swim with one on!), 6 to 7 in house and 3 or 4 in my office. Several different styles and qualities - but - all wide, full circle brimmed I do respect da Sun's treacherous "Heat" Rays!

Ya know... we're all sorta like "Flash Gordon"; except our space ship is called Earth!

Surprising results for the per capita rates of melanoma by state in the US of A, in the CDC link below.

Vermont is the worst? Texas is the same as Alaska...maybe it's the cowboy hats on the guys and big hair on the ladies protecting Texans? Washington States numbers must come from the dry interior?

https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/skin/statistics/state.htm

Surprising results for the per capita rates of melanoma by state in the US of A, in the CDC link below.

Vermont is the worst? Texas is the same as Alaska...maybe it's the cowboy hats on the guys and big hair on the ladies protecting Texans? Washington States numbers must come from the dry interior?

https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/skin/statistics/state.htm

LOL gotta luv those big hair ladies and all their hair spray and the forever, "Dont touch my hair" When they sleep do they hang their head off the side of the bed. And you still wonder why I live alone? LOL

Do women still use vast amounts of her spray?
I haven't seen or heard a hair spray commercial on TV in years.

Last edited:
LOL gotta luv those big hair ladies and all their hair spray and the forever, "Dont touch my hair" (hang your head off the side of the bed.) And you still wonder why I live alone? LOL

Do women still use vast amounts of her spray? LOL

All right... What sex most helped degrade ozone layer during last 1/2 century [before can propellant contents were modified]??? Guys using rattle can spray paints or gals with fu fu hair sprays! A question for the ages!! :dance:

I`ve heard that theory before.The lead time for deadly mesothelioma resulting from asbestos fibre(s)entering the lungs is/was thought to be 35 years, but it can be much less, as little as 10 years. Is it similar with sun caused skin cancer, not sure but why take the risk.
A squamous cell carcinoma requires half a centimeter clearance all round the margins of the cancer. Depending on size and where it is, that`s not achieved without unpleasant surgery. SCCs don`t come with an originating date stamp.
Here we are warned that even on cloudy days your skin is at risk. Maybe thicker cloud = less ray transmission, maybe not. Again, why risk it?

Coincidentally, or not, I was brushing my teeth two nights ago and noticed a dark patch on my jaw under my greying, but patchy brown beard. I had it biopsied yesterday and will find out if it is cancerous in a week or so. Shortly afterwards I'll have a piece of my face either frozen or carved off, plus another 5 or 6 small patches that can be frozen off in the office. All this only 5 months after a complete skin scan by my GP/PCP........

My takeaway is that after you turn 55 or so, things can change very quickly, in a matter of weeks sometimes, and you have to learn to become a lot more self-aware and to listen to your body. Also this: It ain't whining or complaining if you are speaking to your doctor! Don't wait for a little thing to become a big thing, tell and show them everything!

LOL gotta luv those big hair ladies and all their hair spray and the forever, "Dont touch my hair" When they sleep do they hang their head off the side of the bed. And you still wonder why I live alone? LOL

Do women still use vast amounts of her spray?
I haven't seen or heard a hair spray commercial on TV in years.

I buy Aqua-net for my potato cannon once in a while......... So it still is on the shelves. Contents is mostly shellac and propellant is butane.

All right... What sex most helped degrade ozone layer during last 1/2 century [before can propellant contents were modified]??? Guys using rattle can spray paints or gals with fu fu hair sprays! A question for the ages!! :dance:

I suspect that most degradation came from home, automotive and commercial cooling before freon was removed from the system. And that means all of us.....

Back
Top Bottom