Wifey B: But would be more fun there.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:54 PM   #102
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Remove the band that keeps the shape.
Let it marinate in some sweaty, oily dirt for a week.
Rough up the brim.
That should give the hat character.
OR
Put it back in the box and reinstall it back onto the closet shelf.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:25 PM   #103
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post

Sunscreen? At my age I question it's usefulness. I've had a few squamous cells excised and those were from damage started 60+ years ago when I was a kid. Sunscreen wasn't even thought of back then.

When I asked my dermatologist about it, I posed this question to him:

--If the damage you're cutting off now is a result of sun I got exposed to over the last 60 years, why wear sun screen? I'll be long dead before any current sun exposure creates problems.

He didn't have an answer to that, just said something to the effect of they recommend it to prevent further damage. So I usually wear it.
I`ve heard that theory before.The lead time for deadly mesothelioma resulting from asbestos fibre(s)entering the lungs is/was thought to be 35 years, but it can be much less, as little as 10 years. Is it similar with sun caused skin cancer, not sure but why take the risk.
A squamous cell carcinoma requires half a centimeter clearance all round the margins of the cancer. Depending on size and where it is, that`s not achieved without unpleasant surgery. SCCs don`t come with an originating date stamp.
Here we are warned that even on cloudy days your skin is at risk. Maybe thicker cloud = less ray transmission, maybe not. Again, why risk it?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:57 AM   #104
FF
Guru

Hats or caps are fun , but folks that wear a hat inside are a puzzle.

Did the wearers not have parents?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:05 AM   #105
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

Well, we just aren't going to do most of those. For 1, I'm a bikini girl. Not going to wear long sleeves and long pants on the boat or by the pool. For 2, not going to stay indoors from 10 to 5 or whatever. For 3, we do have a top always up on whatever boat or bridge so do that pretty well. For 4, we use sunscreen and neither of us has been burned at all in the last 17+ years. Not since the winter of 2000. For 5, we do wear sunglasses. Hubby didn't till I "splained" the rules and now he has bunches of them. For 6, we're not going to say this is a bad UV day and we can't go out.

We've had no one burned on our boat or in our pool area. We load on the sunscreen as most don't put nearly the quantity the tests are based on. Funny, the younger people have no issues. Now, 60+/- year old couple who have been on the water their entire lives said they'd never used it. We said, "well, that's about to change." I would classify them both as high risk.

We've started the two 3 year olds on sunscreen from the outset. It comes natural to them to put it on. You mention the pool or boat and they immediately come to you and say put it on them. Just like PFD's which they love (I did find them cute ones) but they associate with the fun of boating.

I don't want to fear the sun but just be sensible. Hubby and I went on a walk in the dead of winter, a couple of months after we met, and he got burned and I felt so guilty that I hadn't noticed him burning or done anything. That was it. Never again.

We need to protect those we love, including our friends.

Oh, we only use SPF 50 or so. The chemicals in some of the higher ones have their own negatives and issues.

And thanks to all you older guys for sharing. We do listen on topics like sun and some of you have experienced what we want to avoid. We value the wisdom and experience.

One last thing. If your dermatologist hasn't checked every inch of your body, they haven't done what they should. Have your spouse or someone do that as well. There are areas you can't see or don't notice. Anything that doesn't look right needs to be checked. If you've got no one to check for you, at least get mirrors and do it.
Well said Wifey B on our boat we keep several types of sunscreen on and ask everyone to please use it because we want good memories ( unfortunately for me until recent years I had not found a sunscreen that I was not allergic to) I am one of those odd ball Floridians that wears long sleeves most of the time though. As for hats we also have plenty of extra ones on board for people
Old 04-28-2018, 08:06 AM   #106
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Just had to share this. I served on the board and eventually as president of the Optometric Physicians of Washington. When I went off the board I was given some gifts. A great gift was a Raymarine remote for the AP on my sailboat. A gag gift was this Yacht Club Cap. They spent $67.50 on this thing and I think this was only the second time I have worn it to take this picture today. The first time was when they gave it to me at a banquet.
Yes I think you should at least for grins from people
Old 04-28-2018, 08:15 AM   #107
Guru

The sun damages we are experience now is the result an accumulation of many years.
It is not something that happens over night. If this damage occurred over night, one sunburn on a kid, the damage would occur.
Should we use sunscreen, sure if it makes you feel better. Like so many things in out lives.... if we knew were going to live this long, we would have taken better care of ourselves.
Hats? of course. No need to 'trigger' an event. I wear a tilly hat but I still developed a problem on my nose. AND NO, my nose does not stick out beyond the brim of the hat. LOL
My thought is, if we honestly wanted to avoid such events we should have started many years ago. Not having done that, we can blame all this on mama.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:20 AM   #108
Guru

Baseball hats look 'cool' but does not provide any protection for your neck nor ears. There used to be base ball hats that had 2 bills, front and back, but haven't seen them in years and they do look a bit dorky unless your name is John Wayne and hunt wild animals in the movies.
If you are going to put your faith in your hat, get and hat with a big brim.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:24 AM   #109
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
The sun damages we are experience now is the result an accumulation of many years.
It is not something that happens over night. If this damage occurred over night, one sunburn on a kid, the damage would occur.
Should we use sunscreen, sure if it makes you feel better. Like so many things in out lives.... if we knew were going to live this long, we would have taken better care of ourselves.
Hats? of course. No need to 'trigger' an event. I wear a tilly hat but I still developed a problem on my nose. AND NO, my nose does not stick out beyond the brim of the hat. LOL
My thought is, if we honestly wanted to avoid such events we should have started many years ago. Not having done that, we can blame all this on mama.
Not accurate. Yes, the bulk of our damage occurred over many years when we were younger, but the body can regenerate if exposure is stopped. I am a case in point and have seen the results myself. More importantly, this is not my opinion but that of my board certified, 30 years in practice dermatologist. Its a free world so whatever you want to do is cool, but lets make sure we have the facts straight when posting to avoid putting out misleading information for others. If you are not sure, then don't post.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:53 AM   #110
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
Not accurate. Yes, the bulk of our damage occurred over many years when we were younger, but the body can regenerate if exposure is stopped. I am a case in point and have seen the results myself. More importantly, this is not my opinion but that of my board certified, 30 years in practice dermatologist. Its a free world so whatever you want to do is cool, but lets make sure we have the facts straight when posting to avoid putting out misleading information for others. If you are not sure, then don't post.
Let's start at the beginning.

Sun damage is accumulative, can we agree on that?
Old 04-28-2018, 09:33 AM   #111
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Let's start at the beginning.

Sun damage is accumulative, can we agree on that?
Wifey B: That's like saying it won't hurt to smoke for a couple of years and a dangerous statement, not because it's totally wrong but because it's interpretation is misleading. Most severe sun damage is the result of time. However, one can have damage in a rather short time too, especially when one has skin that was previously exposed many years. This means that as one ages and their skin ages, then short term sun is more of a threat to them. Most sun damage is the result of years but the base of years of exposure is already there and you may well get damage with very short term exposure later in life.

You could also say at 70 years old, not to worry about sun because you don't have long to live anyway. But you might find yourself regretting that and dealing with knives much more than you'd want. If your skin has been exposed for 70 years, it may take very little additional sun to cause problems.

It may take 1000 sunburns or it may just take 1 more.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:34 AM   #112
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
We used to spend summer holidays in the sunny, southern interior area of BC when I was a kid, and I'm a moley guy, so I've been proactive with my doctor.

Your GP can't see your back or under your hair during an appointment for something else...ask for a quick mole search at the end of the appointment.

So far I've had two moles cut out and while things were abnormal, they weren't cancerous or spreading.

Takes a few minutes to look and could quite possibly save your life.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:41 AM   #113
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
We keep spray on, rub in, even smear on sunscreens aboard. All are supposed to be good for up to 1.5 +/- hrs. in water. We reapply often during day and apply at morning before going into sun. I wear full circle, wide brim hats "EVERY" time I'm outside... Summer, Spring, Winter, Fall. I put hat on just to step out of car and go into convenience store... always wearing one outside of boat. Wide brim Hats accomplish two good things for me - 1. Reduction of sun rays on my shaved head and other upper body portions. 2. Greatly reduced sun glare onto my eye glasses. All n' all I've got about 3 wide brims that remain aboard boat (I even swim with one on!), 6 to 7 in house and 3 or 4 in my office. Several different styles and qualities - but - all wide, full circle brimmed I do respect da Sun's treacherous "Heat" Rays!

Ya know... we're all sorta like "Flash Gordon"; except our space ship is called Earth!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:45 AM   #114
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Surprising results for the per capita rates of melanoma by state in the US of A, in the CDC link below.

Vermont is the worst? Texas is the same as Alaska...maybe it's the cowboy hats on the guys and big hair on the ladies protecting Texans? Washington States numbers must come from the dry interior?

https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/skin/statistics/state.htm
Old 04-28-2018, 09:49 AM   #115
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Surprising results for the per capita rates of melanoma by state in the US of A, in the CDC link below.

Vermont is the worst? Texas is the same as Alaska...maybe it's the cowboy hats on the guys and big hair on the ladies protecting Texans? Washington States numbers must come from the dry interior?

https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/skin/statistics/state.htm
LOL gotta luv those big hair ladies and all their hair spray and the forever, "Dont touch my hair" When they sleep do they hang their head off the side of the bed. And you still wonder why I live alone? LOL

Do women still use vast amounts of her spray?
I haven't seen or heard a hair spray commercial on TV in years.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:57 AM   #116
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
LOL gotta luv those big hair ladies and all their hair spray and the forever, "Dont touch my hair" (hang your head off the side of the bed.) And you still wonder why I live alone? LOL

Do women still use vast amounts of her spray? LOL
All right... What sex most helped degrade ozone layer during last 1/2 century [before can propellant contents were modified]??? Guys using rattle can spray paints or gals with fu fu hair sprays! A question for the ages!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:11 AM   #117
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
I`ve heard that theory before.The lead time for deadly mesothelioma resulting from asbestos fibre(s)entering the lungs is/was thought to be 35 years, but it can be much less, as little as 10 years. Is it similar with sun caused skin cancer, not sure but why take the risk.
A squamous cell carcinoma requires half a centimeter clearance all round the margins of the cancer. Depending on size and where it is, that`s not achieved without unpleasant surgery. SCCs don`t come with an originating date stamp.
Here we are warned that even on cloudy days your skin is at risk. Maybe thicker cloud = less ray transmission, maybe not. Again, why risk it?
Coincidentally, or not, I was brushing my teeth two nights ago and noticed a dark patch on my jaw under my greying, but patchy brown beard. I had it biopsied yesterday and will find out if it is cancerous in a week or so. Shortly afterwards I'll have a piece of my face either frozen or carved off, plus another 5 or 6 small patches that can be frozen off in the office. All this only 5 months after a complete skin scan by my GP/PCP........

My takeaway is that after you turn 55 or so, things can change very quickly, in a matter of weeks sometimes, and you have to learn to become a lot more self-aware and to listen to your body. Also this: It ain't whining or complaining if you are speaking to your doctor! Don't wait for a little thing to become a big thing, tell and show them everything!
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:14 AM   #118
Guru

Quote:
LOL gotta luv those big hair ladies and all their hair spray and the forever, "Dont touch my hair" When they sleep do they hang their head off the side of the bed. And you still wonder why I live alone? LOL

Do women still use vast amounts of her spray?
I haven't seen or heard a hair spray commercial on TV in years.
I buy Aqua-net for my potato cannon once in a while......... So it still is on the shelves. Contents is mostly shellac and propellant is butane.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:24 AM   #119
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
All right... What sex most helped degrade ozone layer during last 1/2 century [before can propellant contents were modified]??? Guys using rattle can spray paints or gals with fu fu hair sprays! A question for the ages!!
I suspect that most degradation came from home, automotive and commercial cooling before freon was removed from the system. And that means all of us.....
Old 04-28-2018, 10:32 AM   #120
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
I suspect that most degradation came from home, automotive and commercial cooling before freon was removed from the system. And that means all of us.....
Not to mention manufacturing and cows...
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote