Old 02-05-2010, 08:09 AM   #1
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Yacht Club

Any one belong to a Yacht Club or boat owners association?

I just joined the Whittier Boat owners association. They even have a web site.

So far I have learned what a burgee is. Don't have one but I know what one is

Lord jeese b'y. *I've run ashore with me hooks still in the pipes.

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:58 AM   #2

RE: Yacht Club

Belonged to a Yacht Club once. Found them to be time consuming and useless to me. I could spend more time on the boat without them.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:23 AM   #3

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Trawler

im with larry, the GYC here wants 350$ to join.. i could find a million other ways to spend that money.. then 80 a year
albin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Fortunatly. My dues are only $25.00.
I don't think I will be very active in the boating season.
Something to do during the winter. Get together and talk boats.

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:52 AM   #5

Thats funny!!* The one I belonged to over half didn't even have boats but were experts.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:02 PM   #6
RED

I belong to a yacht club, and have found great value there for me. First of all there is a tremendous knowledge base, as well as personal assistance. I have also forged many lasting friendships that go far beyond just boating.

Ideas on everything from maintenance to thoughts on equipment are available, as well as thoughts on cruising grounds and amenities.

These are just a few thoughts from my perspective.

Let the bashing recommence...
RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

I have belonged twice.* In 1977, for the princely sum of $70. I joined a sailboat only cruising club.* Had to have a verifiable crossing of the Gulf of Georgia.* That club had no facilities, no moorage, but regular meetings in the off season to keep up the interest, where presentations were always interesting, and regular long weekend and several other cruises in the warmer months.* Then in 1987 we joined a "Royal" yacht club.* Facilities galore! Moorage, outstations, clubhouse, regular cruises and clubhouse activities year round.* My wife and I and our kids all made many new and lasting friends.* We can go to any of* the outstations and reliably find friends to share a happy hour with.* Our moorage is superior to any other in the urban area, both for location and facilities, and it doesn't break the bank. For new members there is a waiting list for moorage, especially in the more popular bigger boat sizes.* I have improved my enjoyment of boating by volunteering, for such things as the CCGA annual inspections on safety day.* That gets me into lots of people's boats, where I get to see what works and what doesn't.
All for a fraction of the cost of a Golf club membership!
Overall a most positive experience.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:24 PM   #8
Scraping Paint

City: -
Yacht Club

We joined a small yacht club in Bellingham-- Squalicum Yacht Club-- even though we don't live there. So we aren't able to go to most of the meetings and hear the guest speakers, and we don't get much chance to participate in the club's cruises due to schedule conflicts.

But the people we have met have greatly enhanced our boating experience. One of them used to be an engineer for Uniflite and he has helped us with everything from machining metal parts we've needed to advising and helping with the installation of our new windlass a few years ago. Others have given us great information and advice about crusing in the area, and one couple has accompanied us in their sailboat on two of our longer cruises into BC. Other members, Carey and Dorothy, have become great friends in addition to great boating companions (Carey is a sometimes-participant in this forum-- they own a custom lobsterboat).

And the club has some reciprical moorage agreements with some of the other clubs in the area, one of which has a dock at a location where we like to go to visit friends on one of the islands.

So for us, even though we have not taken anywhere near as much advantage of membership as most of its other members have, being in this club has been extremely beneficial.

I should say that this is the "other" boating club in Bellingham. The Bellingham Yacht Club is much more along the lines of the more traditional yacht club, with all the good and bad things that go with that. The Squalicum Yacht Club is more for the "average-Joe" boater and does not have the snobbery and status-fixation than can seem to be a characteristic of other clubs.

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 5th of February 2010 08:26:20 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:57 AM   #9

I guess not all Yacht Clubs are created equally. The only thing the one I belonged to did was have meetings to discuss the yearly pig roast and drink. I don't think I ever saw them do anything constructive the two years I was in it. I understand that a lot of clubs actually do something constructive and good for the boating community but not this one.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:33 AM   #10
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

We joined a yacht club for the social aspect as we live on our boat.* The club we joined was one of the grand 14 clubs in the Puget Sound and know as one of the more prestigious and active clubs.* The club had month dinner meetings, a month social even/dance and a month cruise.* It seem all where more of a social nature than about boating.* The big negative we found is that there was a click central group that controlled ran every thing, and the average club boat was 30 to 40 ft.*

We were the 3 rd biggest boat and most of the click group thought they iknew everything, but did*not have a clue about*handling/line a 43 ton boat.* Because of our size. 58 ft, the club was at one end of the dock and we were at the other end, many times*the marina did not have a slip big enough for us, and if we rafted against one of their pretty Tubaware/plastic boats there was an out cry. You are too big, and you will crush my boat?*

Then there was the social side of the club as the elite could do not wrong but the general members where treated not as an equal.* So the elite sat*at their head tables an the rest of the club sat at ours lesser tables. *There were many social functions that the general members were not told about and included. Anyway after a couple of year having the dues raised every years, with little say in the club, and not quite accepted we decided to leave as the social aspect was not worth the cost of the dues and membership.*Many of the dinners cost an extra 25 to 100 bucks and you were expect to dress appropriatly.**I get more out of the on line boat sites.****
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:28 AM   #11
Doc
Guru

We belong to a Florida Yacht club for the following resaons:

1. Our club belongs to the Florida Council of Yacht Clubs which grants reciprocity to other members of the FCYC. Each club offers one night free dockage and then a reduced rate for the following nights for members of other FCYC clubs. Out of state yacht clubs are not recognized and, generally speaking, cannot stay at Florida Yacht Clubs that are members of the FCYC. The major yacht clubs in Florida are members so if one wants to stay in yacht clubs you have to join one of the 31 FCYC clubs. When your primary cruising area is Florida it makes sense to belong to a Florida club. If your major cruising is out side of Florida it makes no sense to belong to a Florida club because the dues are high and continue on whether you are using the club or not. Our dues for example are $260 a month plus you have to consume an additional $80 in food every month.

2. Our club has about 600 members and is very active.

3. We have happy hour twice a week and make the best popcorn in Florida.

4. It is a mile from the house.

5. Howard Hughes did not have an armored car in his funeral procession.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:35 AM   #12
KMA

City: Merritt Island

I'd not join any club that would have me as a member
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:49 AM   #13
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
Yacht Club

We're members of a community/marina based club that, for only $30 per year, gives as much or as little as the members want to participate in. In addition to social, boating, and education event , the club's membership in the Yacht Clubs of America provides reciprocity privileges at many other clubs.*

http://www.cypresslandingyc.org/

-- Edited by ARoss on Sunday 7th of February 2010 07:51:04 AM
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:07 PM   #14
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Ditto all of Marin's thoughts. Our club is very easy going and friendly. We do a few little civic minded things each year as well as meetings, BBQs, boating. I would highly recommend a club if you are at all social. Like minded folks is always fun. Look around, as you may have several from which you can choose. We have four in Bellingham. Ours, the much more elitist "Bellingham Yacht Club", "Wheel and Keel" (more of a fishing and drinking orientation, and "Corinthian", which is the sailiing club.

Most of our local clubs are quite economical. We currently pay $70/year for family membership.
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:53 PM   #15

City: Brookings
Vessel Name: Stargazer
Vessel Model: Mainship 34

First, I'd like to say that having been away from this site for several months it's nice to return and see some of the same folks I remember; still adding their valued opinions. *Nice to see and appreciated by others as well.

As far as joining a yacht club goes, it seems they vary greatly from marina to marina. I remember checking out the one in Morro Bay, CA several years back, and found a good group of people with*reciprocity to other club members. *Seemed to be primarily sailors, but very helpful folks.

Now that I'm in Oregon, I belong to the Chetco Cove Yacht Club (who?), which is the last stop South before reaching California.*http://www.chetcocyc.org/Home.aspx

Small group of primarily sailing vessels, but the number of power boats is growing steadily. *We have reciprocity with members of other clubs, and in the summer have ocean racing, river racing (small*boats, of course) and even a remote control race with three foot sailboats. *Lots of social events, an open club house for members and their families, and even a crab feast later this month.

Sorry to sound like a commercial, but clubs are what you make them to be. *Fill them with hard working (or retired) folks who have a common interest in the water and are motivated to assist other boaters as they pass through, and you have the makings of something special.

Two of our members,*Ed Atkin and Bernie Houston, wrote an*incredibly fascinating book, "One Wave at a Time",*chronicling their sea adventures of more than thirty years.*http://www.amazon.com/One-Wave-at-Ti...5514342&sr=1-2

Ed and Bernie are an invaluable*source*of knowledge for all boaters. *I'm sure other yacht clubs have their 'Ed and Bernie' to*glean*from also. *Just have to look.

Mike
Brookings, OR
coyote454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:36 AM   #16
Guru

You hit the nail on the head Mike. Every club is exactly what it's members make it to be. If they have an exclusive group that you don't like, either make your own group stronger and take over or find a group you do like.

There are many benefits to belonging to an organized Yacht Club. Reciprocal moorage is just one. Moorage is another in some clubs. My club owns our Master Tidelands lease with the state and we own our own docks and club facilities. The moorage is very reasonable. (moorage, dues, assessments, electricity, etc. cost me $130.00 per month for the last 3 months for my 21 x 47' boathouse and 40' boat)

Yacht Clubs give you access to some very knowledgeble folks and some blowhards. They provide club cruises which may take you to places you wouldn't have gone on your own. They give you the opportunity to talk to people about their boats, dingy's, and equipment that you might not get just walking down a public dock.

I agree that if you aren't happy with the club you're in, get out. No use in making everyone miserable.......

Ken
Joined my yacht club in 1981
2bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:55 AM   #17
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan

The Eastport Yacht Club held their meetings in the apartment complex where I lived.* I was invited to their recruitment meeting and figured what the heck; they claim to be a sister club to the Annapolis YC, it was within walking distance and, being single I was always looking out for new women to dazzle with my charm and wit.*

Well, was that a surprise!* There was only one person in the room under 75 years old other than myself, and he looked lost and in search of the exit.* Don't get me wrong, they were all very nice and gracious people, just not what I had in mind for some boating adventures.

I later found out that the club was started in the 70's when the members actually owned boats.* But over the years they got too old to fool with boats but still enjoyed the social activities.

And that was my last foray into organized boating.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:13 AM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Blaine
Vessel Name: White Star
Vessel Model: Canoe Cove

I'm in the Semiahmoo yacht club by Blaine,WA. As we live in the Seattle area we don't get to involved in the social activies. Having reciprical moorage more than pays for dues. We also have small signs on the dock that we are yacht club members and they keep an eye on the boat which is a big help when the wind kicks up.

Dave
wingspar is offline   Reply With Quote