Old 05-17-2016, 08:27 PM   #81
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Timex! I'd avoid the ten-dollar watches offered at no-duty stores, however.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:30 PM   #82
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
I would love to own a Rolex Oyster Perpetual. That said, when I see someone wearing one, the first thing that comes to mind is "is it real or a knock off." Nobody ever wonders that about my Casio watch.
Rolex, an effective method to attract thieves to relieve you of property.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:34 PM   #83
Master and Commander

I've been known to wear a belt watch.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:30 AM   #84

City: Ft Myers, Florida
Vessel Name: Homegrown
Vessel Model: Roberts TY 43
I was watching Antiques Road Show the other night and a fellow had a Rolex he'd purchased when in his late 20's early 30's to help with his job as a pilot. I recall he said he was charting areas from a plane, and used the watch for navigating, so it was a Rolex set up specifically for that purpose.

He only wore the watch for his job working in a plane, and stored it in the original box with all the original documents, so it was in mint condition. I also recall he'd paid about $1500.00 for the watch when he purchased it ( large sum of money for a young guy 40 years ago). The Road Show appraiser valued it at 30K either at an auction or in a store being purchased by a collector. My figures are going off of memory, but I for sure was impressed how much the watched gained value.

I too wear a watch... waterproof models from Walmart....digital so I can use the face light as a half assed flash light when I wake up during the night.

Conall
Conall63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:35 AM   #85
FF
Guru

When I retired from flying my Rolex retired too.

Haven't worn a watch since.

Still in a drawer somewhere , I do wind it every few years as I come across it.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:02 AM   #86
Guru

City: Miami
Which wrist watch

Interesting thread.
My two cents, I've collected many watches over the last forty years, some I've even used at sea for diving or navigating. None kept perfect time and were made of metal, which is a no no around engines and batteries. Current fav is the timex ironman. It keeps perfect time, in 3 seperate time zones, lights in the dark, has numerous alarms, for watch changes, log entries, wake ups etc... It's water proof to at least 460' , has countdown timers and stopwatches, and is made of chemical resistant plastic (distilled crude oil), all for less than 50 bucks, anywhere on the planet. I keep one on my wrist and one in the pilot house , the rolexes and patek's now live in a safe where they continue to appreciate. Once in a while I'll go analog and put one of the old girls on, but today they are more like vip wristbands than watches.

Spell check via iPhone.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:18 AM   #87
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
As an aside, when I did wear wristwatches on a regular basis, I found that an analogue style was preferable to a digital. I could check the time with a quick glance at an analogue dial as opposed to having to "read" a digital.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:42 AM   #88
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
What he said.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:36 AM   #89

City: Bradenton, FL
Vessel Name: Coconuts
Vessel Model: 1996 49' Krogen Express
Garmin gps quatix. It even interfaces with my autopilot and I can drive the boat with it. Scary, huh. Only needs charged about once a week unless built in gps is active.
kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:51 PM   #90
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelbylinn View Post
Garmin gps quatix. It even interfaces with my autopilot and I can drive the boat with it. Scary, huh. Only needs charged about once a week unless built in gps is active.
Uh oh, I should have never read your post. Oh man is that cool. Wow. I had no idea they had come so far, and they're not a million dollars either. Wow.

kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:04 PM   #91
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conall63 View Post

He . . . paid about $1500.00 for the watch when he purchased it . . . 40 years ago). The Road Show appraiser valued it at 30K either at an auction or in a store being purchased by a collector. My figures are going off of memory, but I for sure was impressed how much the watched gained value.
That works out to a little less than an 8% annual compounded return. But I guess he also got some pleasure out of owning it during that time too.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:44 PM   #92
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
I've owned three watches, two Seiko's and one Rolex GMT Master. The Seiko's work for me.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:37 PM   #93
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Because of this discussion I dug out my big chunky orange retro Seiko divers watch and wore it today. That's the model I had on my wrist when I was underwater on March 30, 1981 at the Burlington Power Station in New Jersey fixing a cooling water intake screen. The foreman radioed down to tell me President Reagan had been shot, that's the only reason I remember that particular day and the watch on my wrist at that moment. It's actually running pretty well today, hasn't stopped and the time is accurate since I shook it and reset it this morning. Maybe I'll give it another chance.

As I recall it also glowed very brightly in the dark, which was handy during those late night make-out sessions parked in my midnight-blue Chevy Nova SS on a certain back road in Essex, CT after a day of sailing my Blue Jay on the Connecticut River dodging the Chester Ferry when the wind died. Ahh, youth. (I believe that parking spot in the woods is now a strip mall.)
Attached Thumbnails
seiko.jpg  
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 12:00 PM   #94

City: Vancouver Rowing Club, Coal Harbour, Vancouver, B.C.
Vessel Name: Summer Wind 1
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 41
I wear an Omega Seamaster, I tried it on at a pawn shop and it felt so comfortable on my wrist I bought it. I then took it to a watch maker and got it cleaned and serviced.
grahamdouglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 02:42 PM   #95
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
I've owned three watches, two Seiko's and one Rolex GMT Master. The Seiko's work for me.

Lol! I've had mine since 1980. It's a self wind.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1482871287.083966.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	59915
I now have a Tag, but the links keep breaking and I don't want to lose it in the drink. I think I'm going to use the old Seiko this summer.
JDCAVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:08 PM   #96
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I am reviving this old thread.

This thread got me thinking about watches back then and I started to get a bit of a bug in my head. Part of this was spurred by the old yachting watch of my Dad's finally dying last summer after its waterproof seal failed and it rusted up.

I gradually have acquired via ebay a handful of boating watches, some of them mentioned in this thread. I have spent some time with them and thought I would offer my opinions so far.

If you don't like watches, don't bother reading.

One of you folks mentioned the Tissot. I found a Tissot T-touch Sailing Watch on ebay. This watch has a countdown timer useful for timing the beginning of a race (which I don't do anymore). It has a stopwatch, alarms, and will even tell the time and date. It also has a display which gives whether the barometric pressure is rising or falling. It has a tide clock and a compass.

The watch is easy to read with hands with a white and red pip against a black face. It has an LCD screen at the bottom to give the date as well as additional information on the other functions. It is a big watch, about 45 mm in diameter but a whopping 14 mm thick. The watch I got has a black rubber band with brushed SS links that slide over it. The metal clasp is solid. The band has to be cut to fit, so you can make it smaller, but you can't make it larger. Once adjusted, it is comfortable, if big, watch to wear.

It has compass function which actually works well as long as you aren't around large metallic objects.

The tide clock is a bit silly up in the Northern (and I would assume Southern) latitudes. It is simply based on a bit over a 6 hour tidal cycle. You set the next high tide and then the watch can tell you whether you are on a rising and falling tide and roughly how long till the next tide change. The LCD display will give the time of the next high and low tide. However, since we don't have regular tides this far North, you really need to set it every day or it quickly gets too far wrong to be useful.

So not a bad watch but... it is stupid expensive. While it is a good time piece, it is too large for my tastes and way too expensive for me to want to abuse while on the boat. It is not a watch I would wear down to the boat to do some engine work for example.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:32 PM   #97
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I am reviving this old thread.

I gradually have acquired via ebay a handful of boating watches, some of them mentioned in this thread. I have spent some time with them and thought I would offer my opinions so far.

Dave-- I got caught up in an EBay 'buy now' syndrome by making huge bid offers ($5 max ) on watches with free delivery sometime last year. I quit when my winnings reached 10. But heck, how many watches, big bucks or cheapies can one wear? I selected one to wear for which I ordered an expansion bracelet (another $5) again from EBay.

It does the one thing I like reliably well! This el cheapo displays analog time with great accuracy; it loses less than 5 seconds/month!
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:45 PM   #98
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
I'm currently wearing an Apple Watch. It's nice having the entire enterweb on my wrist, including our local tides and weather. However, I feel a bit guilty when my Omega glares at me from my dresser top!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:05 PM   #99
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Which wrist watch

This is another watch I got on ebay. Nominally a sailing watch it has a compass, temperature, and tide functions. It will give the time and the date as well.

This has a black rubber adjustable strap and is also a large (45mm) watch but not as crazy thick as the Tissot. It has easy to see white hands against a black face. The compass works well, but the tide function is like the Tissot, only giving you and approximation of the 6 hour tide variation. The temperature funtion will essentially give you the temperature of your wrist, so unless you take it off, it is pretty worthless. The temperature scale is also so microscopic that it is next to impossible to read for anyone over 50 years old.

Water resistant to 100m it is a good watch to wear around the water and I find it extremely comfortable to wear. You can get them used for well under $100 USD so not so expensive as the Tissot making me comfortable actually using the watch regardless of what I'm doing.

Comfortable, easy to tell time, not too expensive, good water proofing. I like it but wouldn't recommend someone get it if that makes any sense.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0191.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	63759

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:49 PM   #100
Guru

City: Boston Area
I love a nice analog watch and have a number of them. For me, they are like knives and flashlights....you can never have too many of them. For boating I think anything that's waterproof, shockproof and readable in the dark is perfect. I have a few very expensive watches that my father left me, but I tend to wear Timex and a Victorinox 99% of the time. They are both super accurate and rugged, and can withstand much more than the wrist they are mounted on.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0297.jpg  
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote