Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-18-2017, 05:16 PM   #161
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I like the watch. I find it interesting, unique, and attractive. However, $600k would fund my retirement.
Wifey B: Interesting and unique, I'll agree. Attractive. Do you find it attractive to have on display or on your dresser or would you actually enjoy wearing it? I even went to a retailers website to look. They are actually headquartered (in US) near us and have two retailers near us. I still can't picture someone wearing it. You'd need a humongous wrist. Then where and when would one wear it? Seems like it would be easy to bash against things.
__________________
Advertisement

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:24 PM   #162
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post
I wont own a watch or clock that says 2400 for midnight, I just wont. Got chewed out a couple of times as a kid for putting 2400 in the log book by my old man, never again.
Wifey B: Just seems to me there should be a split, like minuscule second of 24:00:00. I mean you build all the way up to 23:11:59:59:59:59. It's deflating not to go to 24:00:00. One day has to end and the next start. It's unfair not to let the day run to completion. It should be 24:00 and then immediately converted to 00:00. I carry the banner for fairness.
__________________

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:46 PM   #163
Guru
 
Bigsfish's Avatar
 
City: Miami River
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,778
WifeyB

Obviously the marker doesn't expect to sell many of then, they only made 135. I would need a few more years at the University to be able to read that watch. I won't be standing in line for one whetherit says 2400 or 0000.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:26 PM   #164
Guru
 
78puget-trawler's Avatar
 
City: LaConner
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Just seems to me there should be a split, like minuscule second of 24:00:00. I mean you build all the way up to 23:11:59:59:59:59. It's deflating not to go to 24:00:00. One day has to end and the next start. It's unfair not to let the day run to completion. It should be 24:00 and then immediately converted to 00:00. I carry the banner for fairness.
2400 seems perfectly logical and did to me as a youngster, but over time its become one of those bugaboos for me. When I walk into a hospital and see all those clocks with 2400 on them I just about start calling for the crash cart! I rank it right up there with saying "I could care less". AARRGGHH!!!!!!!!!
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:35 PM   #165
Guru
 
Bigsfish's Avatar
 
City: Miami River
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,778
To me the purpose of a log book is to accurately record events and time, I would expect the reader would realize 2400 or 0000 hrs would be the same. Perhaps I'm wrong.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:37 PM   #166
Guru
 
78puget-trawler's Avatar
 
City: LaConner
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,212
They are the same. Only difference is that one is correct terminology and one isn't.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:43 PM   #167
Guru
 
City: Port Townsend
Country: North America
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,563
All this talk of watches.... I'm usually a Seiko guy, have about 6 of them. But after seeing a traser in this thread I decided to pop for one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	watch.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	63864  
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:51 PM   #168
Senior Member
 
Ex Sailor's Avatar
 
City: Toronto
Country: Canada
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 271
Holy crap ! 167 and counting ...and all about a watch LOL ! Sure beats any anchor thread that I have seen here ... FB
Ex Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:06 PM   #169
Guru
 
Bigsfish's Avatar
 
City: Miami River
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,778
Amazing what attracts the attention of members. LOL
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:09 PM   #170
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post
They are the same. Only difference is that one is correct terminology and one isn't.
Not true according to most sources today. In fact, to avoid the issue many have eliminated boat and deal with 23:59 and 0:01. Might have been considered wrong in your area or with your father, but that's not a consensus today. The real belief is that anyone should know 2400 and 000 are the same time.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:10 PM   #171
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmeissner View Post
All this talk of watches.... I'm usually a Seiko guy, have about 6 of them. But after seeing a traser in this thread I decided to pop for one.
I have no idea how many watches I own now. Someone in my family likes buying them.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:17 PM   #172
Guru
 
Bigsfish's Avatar
 
City: Miami River
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,778
BandB

Your lucky she doesn't like expensive sports cars. LOL
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:42 PM   #173
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
BandB

Your lucky she doesn't like expensive sports cars. LOL
She's happy with just one of those to call her own and I picked out my own car.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:41 PM   #174
Guru
 
78puget-trawler's Avatar
 
City: LaConner
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Not true according to most sources today. In fact, to avoid the issue many have eliminated boat and deal with 23:59 and 0:01. Might have been considered wrong in your area or with your father, but that's not a consensus today. The real belief is that anyone should know 2400 and 000 are the same time.
Its still the standard. I agree that most know its the same, not the point. Just because some ignorant folks do things differently does not make the normal way wrong. In my "area" Really? The US Navy and US Maritime is not my "area". My dad didn't just dream this up, Step aboard any merchant vessel or hang out where professional seaman hang their hat and tell them midnight is 2400 hours and see what happens. I sailed professionally on tugs for years, 2400 is not considered proper usage in the maritime industry.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:03 PM   #175
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post
Its still the standard. I agree that most know its the same, not the point. Just because some ignorant folks do things differently does not make the normal way wrong. In my "area" Really? The US Navy and US Maritime is not my "area". My dad didn't just dream this up, Step aboard any merchant vessel or hang out where professional seaman hang their hat and tell them midnight is 2400 hours and see what happens. I sailed professionally on tugs for years, 2400 is not considered proper usage in the maritime industry.
There's a world outside the maritime industry. In addition I've heard those in the industry talk about watches from 1800 to 2400 followed by one from 000 to 0600. I hang out with professional seamen all the time. Now, this isn't an issue that comes up often, but the seamen I know understand they're the same and don't get as bent out of shape over it as you do. You say it's the standard. I ask "per whom?" I see plenty of sources including military that use both. Actually one convention is that when it's used as the end of a period, it's used as 2400 and at the beginning as 000. Now, digital clocks use 0:00 as they're not capable of showing both. Railroad uses 0:00 as departure time and 24:00 as arrival time. I've checked about a dozen sources and don't find a single one that says 2400 is not acceptable for certain uses.

I will acknowledge and understand whatever anyone uses and not tell them they're wrong.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:12 PM   #176
Guru
 
City: Port Townsend
Country: North America
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,563
This:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/24-hour_clock
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:21 PM   #177
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmeissner View Post
Yes, that.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:26 PM   #178
Guru
 
78puget-trawler's Avatar
 
City: LaConner
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
There's a world outside the maritime industry. In addition I've heard those in the industry talk about watches from 1800 to 2400 followed by one from 000 to 0600. I hang out with professional seamen all the time. Now, this isn't an issue that comes up often, but the seamen I know understand they're the same and don't get as bent out of shape over it as you do. You say it's the standard. I ask "per whom?" I see plenty of sources including military that use both. Actually one convention is that when it's used as the end of a period, it's used as 2400 and at the beginning as 000. Now, digital clocks use 0:00 as they're not capable of showing both. Railroad uses 0:00 as departure time and 24:00 as arrival time. I've checked about a dozen sources and don't find a single one that says 2400 is not acceptable for certain uses.

I will acknowledge and understand whatever anyone uses and not tell them they're wrong.
Standard for many years in the military and the maritime industry. Are things changing? Perhaps so. I guess what others do is fine, I will stick to the old way. I guess perhaps I should just say, "I could care less", and nevermind.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:46 PM   #179
Guru
 
78puget-trawler's Avatar
 
City: LaConner
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,212
Cant imagine where I get these funny old ideas from...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3624.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	63870  
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:31 PM   #180
Guru
 
City: Port Townsend
Country: North America
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,563
Clear as mud...

Thread content: Cool time pieces...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0502.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	63871   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0501.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	63872   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0500.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	63873  
Attached Images
 
__________________

dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×