Old 04-15-2017, 09:59 PM   #101
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
I love a nice analog watch and have a number of them. For me, they are like knives and flashlights....you can never have too many of them.

I agree.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:25 PM   #102
Guru

Casio AMW710-1AV OUTGEAR Marine Gear

This watch is a relatively inexpensive watch, typical of Casio. Also typical of Casio it is well made. This watch has a stopwatch, moon phase, multiple time zones, alarms, and tide clock.

Another large watch, 45mm diameter and 13mm thick. This watch isn't quite as comfortable for me as the Timex, but it had an incredibly easy to read analog face. The LCD portion of the screen is pretty small, but that isn't viewed unless you are trying to set one of the watches functions so you are paying closely to it as well. It is also water resistant to 100M.

Casio has come up with an intelligent tide function. You set your location and it will adjust the tide times based on your location. Unlike the typical "tide clock" such as Tissot and Timex use, this gives a much more accurate tide reading. The state of the tide (rising or falling and how far in the cycle it is) is displayed in a round display with as one of 6 tiny little arrows.

The downside is that this tiny little arrow is hard to see. You have to stop and look very closely to be able to see it. I prefer a watch that I can glance at quickly to get the information I want.

Bottom line, this seems like a good watch that you can wear around the water and it has all the functions you could ever want. Because you can buy this thing for $50 and it does so much, this is a watch I would recommend.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0190.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	63758

Dave
SPOT page
Old 04-15-2017, 10:38 PM   #103
Guru

Casio G-SHOCK GLX-150 G-LIDE Action Sports/Surf Watch, Tide and Moon.

Another ebay watch I bought used. This one had a bright orange band which I replaced with a fake Casio black band. This watch is not attractive. It is big and relatively ugly. However, this watch is almost indestructible and it was cheap. This is the watch I wear when I am working on the boat. It is already used and it pretty darn hard to hurt.

It has many of the same functions as the other Casio. This watch however is not an analog watch, which I miss. OTOH, the tide function on this watch is great. It is an accurate as the other Casio but the bar graph display is simple and easy to read. On both of these Casios I set the tide once and have found it to be accurate even a couple months later.

Oddly enough considering how large the watch is, it is a very comfortable watch to wear. This is a watch that I would recommend whole-heartedly as it is very cheap but does what it does really well.

Name:	IMG_0192.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	63761

Dave
SPOT page
Old 04-15-2017, 10:44 PM   #104
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
I'm currently wearing an Apple Watch. It's nice having the entire enterweb on my wrist, including our local tides and weather. However, I feel a bit guilty when my Omega glares at me from my dresser top!

I keep looking at the Nixon "Mission" Android watch. It supposedly is waterproof. I have yet to be able to find one cheap enough that I want to buy it, but I am interested.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 04-16-2017, 02:25 AM   #105
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
My inexpensive solar charged Casio with tide chart was bought 'on special" for about $70. The tide chart is not entirely accurate, but near enough. My Breitling wearing friend near puked when he looked at it. I have others, Omega included, I`m a fan of Citizen solar charge titanium cased watches.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:52 AM   #106
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I've been known to wear a belt watch.

How do you read it ?
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:10 AM   #107
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Tissot are indeed really impressive watches, the touch ones are really very nice. One thing to notice is the issue when need to change the battery. If you go to some general watch seller some of them will not want to change the battery because of the price of the watch they do not want to take the risk to break the touch glass of the watch.

L.
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:29 AM   #108
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
I love my Luminox watches. Good quality and I really like how bright the dial is at night and that fact that you don't have to put the dial into light first.

Each Luminox watch employs tiny self-powered micro gas light tubes (tritium, I believe). These micro gas lights (borosilicate glass capsules) are installed in the hands, hour markers of the dial, and where applicable, into the bezels of the watch.

I am on my second Luminox watch, purchased the first one (dive watch) 10 - 12 years ago. I have purchased the watches on the internet from watch shops (grey market?) for $300 - $350, although there are more expensive models.

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:30 AM   #109
Guru

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
I gave up wearing watches a couple of years ago.. Getting ready to turn the big 70, and don't really want to wear one.. Purchased a GMT Master, in my youth for less than 1k. Was a coming of age gift to myself. Never regretted it. Now it sits, scratched and with a worn band. Also a Timex Expedition, that is new, but it sits also..Wife just shakes her head when I ask, What time is it?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0315.jpg  
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:25 PM   #110
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
I benched my Rolex Oyster Perpetual watch when I got my Pebble Steel watch, which can do weather and tides (when hooked to my iphone).

I also found that my Fitbit Charge HR was not waterproof after an accidental dunking... Pebble is waterproof, but Fitbit died abruptly.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:54 PM   #111
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I'm a fan of Omega watches.

Won't wear an electric or electronic watch.

This is the one I have on today. Omega Planet Ocean dive watch. Even though it is rated to 2000 feet, I'm pretty sure it's never been deeper than 6 or so feet below the surface.

It's arguably one of the best mechanical dive watches ever made... which is saying something given that there are some really great mechanical dive watches out there.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1219.jpg  
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:11 PM   #112
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
Like Kevin I mostly wear a PO, but on the weekends I sometimes wear an X-33. All titanium, thermo-compensated, "Flight Qualified by NASA for Space Missions" - works for me.

Name:	IMG_5937.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	63776
Old 04-17-2017, 03:23 AM   #113
Guru

City: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragin cajun View Post
Attachment 51948 Rolex Submariner, Stainless Steel. Come on guys! You deserve to wear a fine time piece that can be handed down to future generations. Totally waterproof, rust proof and bullet proof! Besides, this is one of the few luxury items that will hold its value over time unlike our boats!
I sold my Submariner when it wasn't keeping accurate time anymore despite being serviced multiple times. Sold it for double what I paid (used).

Nowadays I use a Doxa automatic (self winding) stainless watch and it DOES NOT keep accurate time either. Those Swiss are so proud of their 100 year old movements and yet a $5 Walmart digital watch is more accurate and doesn't stop running if you don't wear it for 2 days.

Oh well it is pretty to look at and makes me feel good.
Attached Images

Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:23 AM   #114

City: Hobart
Vessel Name: Theresa
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 66 LRMY
I have a couple of watches that I only wear now and then, my daughter bought a Traser Officer Pro when she did her officer training in the navy, apparently one of the only milspec watches about, whatever that means. I got one for watchkeeping. I like the night illumination and the easy to read face.
My second watch is a 1st gen 1958 Omega Speedmaster which still runs perfectly. More of a collectable than a daily.
Attached Thumbnails
da512a52422eca454f5a4dcd1573283a.jpg  
Attached Images

stornoway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:33 PM   #115
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I have been wearing Timex expedition for about ten years now I sure do like it. The backlit dial is great for viewing in the dark. The original band was fabric and leather I swapped it out for a rubber Casio type band I only take it off to set it or for medical requirements. I have changed batteries a couple of times but that's easy.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:14 PM   #116

City: PNW
Vessel Model: American Tug 435
I've got five watches and wear one every day, including a black Luminox Navy seal watch as others have mentioned, though I'm also scuba certified. A couple of my other favorites are a Corum and a Skagan. I do have an iPhone but certainly don't want to pull it out or go find it to check time. It's just IMHO; but i think there is too much presumption that a smart phone is always available or always has a network, not necessarily the case in long range cruising.
I'd definitely recommend waterproof (not water "resistant") and I like quality watches. I don't like smart watches since they have to be charged all the time.
But these opinions are cuz i'm a "watch guy", just like some guys are "car guys". so for me if you had to wear a $5 or $10 watch, you'd be better off not wearing one at all- again IMHO.
Hamrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:20 PM   #117
Guru

Ever since I owned a mobile phone I cant see a reason to wear a watch they to me are just something that gets in the way.

gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:45 PM   #118
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by stornoway7 View Post
My second watch is a 1st gen 1958 Omega Speedmaster which still runs perfectly. More of a collectable than a daily.
Thats quite the watch!
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:23 PM   #119
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
All

Im of the group that thinks a wristwatch is used by an age group that grew up with them. I've worn one for about 60 years (no, not the same one) it has day, date, barometric pressure, a countdown time for running out an eta, a compass, etc, etc. it is waterproof to 300 meters. I would be lost without it although I really don't care what time time it is but do care what day it might be after cruising the Bahamas for a few weeks. To each his own. Some people like to own nice equipment others not so much.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:36 PM   #120
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
All

Im of the group that thinks a wristwatch is used by an age group that grew up with them. I've worn one for about 60 years (no, not the same one) it has day, date, barometric pressure, a countdown time for running out an eta, a compass, etc, etc. it is waterproof to 300 meters. I would be lost without it although I really don't care what time time it is but do care what day it might be after cruising the Bahamas for a few weeks. To each his own. Some people like to own nice equipment others not so much.
What watch is it Bigfish?

Dave
SPOT page