Which wrist watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wear it everyday.

Attachments

• IMG_0077.jpg
    IMG_0077.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 125
I had mentioned earlier that I wasn't going to buy any more watches... if only.

Here is a unique watch that I really enjoy. It is a Vostok Amphibia. Russian design. 200M diver. Kind of along the lines of the Soviet T-26 light tank, or the AK-47. Simple, rugged, cheap, reliable, and a bit quirky. This design is known as the "Zissou" after Bill Murray's character in the parody, "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou". This watch was selected for Zissou since it is cheap and gets the job done. It is also to contrast Zissou from Jacques Cousteau who wore Rolex, Omega, or Blanpain dive watches.

The watch is cheap. The cost is about $55 US with another $20 shipped from Russia. It arrives on a slow boat. Bob's new Hampton will get here in less time than this watch did.

Attachments

• File May 21, 12 23 43 PM.jpg
    File May 21, 12 23 43 PM.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 53
I had mentioned earlier that I wasn't going to buy any more watches... if only.

Here is a unique watch that I really enjoy. It is a Vostok Amphibia. Russian design. 200M diver. Kind of along the lines of the Soviet T-26 light tank, or the AK-47. Simple, rugged, cheap, reliable, and a bit quirky. This design is known as the "Zissou" after Bill Murray's character in the parody, "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou". This watch was selected for Zissou since it is cheap and gets the job done. It is also to contrast Zissou from Jacques Cousteau who wore Rolex, Omega, or Blanpain dive watches.

The watch is cheap. The cost is about $55 US with another $20 shipped from Russia. It arrives on a slow boat. Bob's new Hampton will get here in less time than this watch did.

Does the outer ring rotate?

Dave, what type movement on the Ruskie watch, quartz? I think its kind of neat.

Nope. Automatic. I think it is amazing to have a 200M dive watch, fully automatic, for such a low price.

Being an automatic, I don’t need to replace a battery. However, it won’t come close to the accuracy of a quartz watch. This one runs about 7 seconds fast per day.

Love a classic tank watch - but alas, like others, haven't worn one since band broke about the time I got first 'smart phone':angel:

Only one watch for me. The "Yes" watch. One quick look and can tell time, sunrise, sunset, moon rise, moon set, moon phase, and much more.

https://www.yeswatch.com/

Attachments

• callouts.jpg
    callouts.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
I like that kind of stuff, going to order one. I have a neat Russian pocket watch that I drag out once in a while just to look at, a Molnija. Also had one of the Russian submarine clocks on my Monk cruiser years ago, wish I had kept it, but it went with the boat. Neat clock.

I like that kind of stuff, going to order one. I have a neat Russian pocket watch that I drag out once in a while just to look at, a Molnija. Also had one of the Russian submarine clocks on my Monk cruiser years ago, wish I had kept it, but it went with the boat. Neat clock.

There are a lot of different designs in the Vostok Amphibia line. They are all 200M water resistant and all have the same basic movement. I actually have two of them. The one I'm wearing today doesn't have the date complication and is a more plain black face.

You are right, there is a metric you know what ton of those watches on ebay etc. Looked a bunch of them over, and chose one like yours only with a black face instead of blue so as to not be a total copycat, lol. Should have it by summers end... lol.

You are right, there is a metric you know what ton of those watches on ebay etc. Looked a bunch of them over, and chose one like yours only with a black face instead of blue so as to not be a total copycat, lol. Should have it by summers end... lol.

I think you will enjoy it. It is a unique watch and you will at first think the crown is broken. When you unscrew it, it will seem really wobbly. That is normal for this watch. The crown and stem is kind of free floating. That way any shock on the stem isn’t transferred to the movement. Also, to change the date, roll back the hour hand to about 9:00 and then forward to 12:00 and the date will advance.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom