Old 03-25-2020, 09:24 PM   #41
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Ok, I will paste something from the CG inspection department. If you donít like that then I am done with this. If you are not willing to accept that non rechargeable extinguishers expire at 12 years then I canít help you. We are talking about a $25 item, or so, if you donít care enough about your passengers to replace extinguishers after 12 years then I would not want to be a passenger on your boat. I am not going to argue with you just so you can keep picking a some little point to prove you are correct. Please note at the bottom of the CG page it specifies after 12 years non rechargeable extinguishers must be replaced.
Well at least you are finally reading the regulations and backing off from your prior claim that disposable extinguishers require hydrostatic testing. Spreading wrong information about fire safety is not a picky little point.

SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:41 PM   #42
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoWhat View Post
Well at least you are finally reading the regulations and backing off from your prior claim that disposable extinguishers require hydrostatic testing. Spreading wrong information about fire safety is not a picky little point.
Edit.

Meh. Nevermind. Carry on.

Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:44 PM   #43
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Dry chemical extinguishers do require 12 year hydrostatic testing. But non rechargeable extinguishers can not be hydrostatic tested, which I said no one will do it so the extinguisher becomes trash.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:08 AM   #44

City: Whidbey Island WA
Vessel Name: MV Kika
Vessel Model: Selene 47 Ocean Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
I recently switched my insurance carrier and had to complete a new out of water survey. The survey noted several fire extinguishers of the plastic handle type which needed to be turned over to Kidde for exchange. The surveyor told me that I had to have the fire extinguishers certified by a fire equipment company, which I did, but now the fire equipment company says that the only way my extinguishers would remain insurance certified would be with a yearly inspection costing $25 per extinguisher and $125 for the Fireboy system in the ER. Thatís eight 2.5 lb.. and two 5 lb. units. I watched the inspection and it involved observing the gauge to be in the green, and then tagging each unit. $375 per year? I want my boat to be safe but I could probably save $100 or more by just replacing all but the Fireboy with Costco units on sale. Still thinking about it.

Beware of so-called fire inspection companies. I own a small hotel in WA state and have had run-ins with companies who show up unannounced to inspect our fire extinguishers. They use intimidation and imply they have the authority to carry out the inspection. I only found out when I saw the invoice for $1250. They even billed for a ďtrip chargeĒ...even though he showed up at our property uninvited! Well, I called them out and refused to pay. I also reported them to our local fire Dept. And to the sheriffs office. The owner of the company (and several others) is the former fire chief of a major city in our state. Safety regulations can be a slippery slope (pun intended ;-)
Old 03-26-2020, 12:15 AM   #45
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I take the fixed halon bottle to a fire company for yearly certification. They charge $10.00 for the inspection. The dry chemical ones you can self inspect. The problem is on the big boats where the halon bottles are plumbed into a distribution system, you canít just unplug the sensor and carry them into a company. Those would be expensive to get certified.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:48 AM   #46
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Edit.

Meh. Nevermind. Carry on.
Yes you posted it awhile back...that's when I read it and put up my referencing post.

We can always count on you to point out the proper reference.

I was pretty sure the 12 year limit and no hydro...non-refillable the key description....

THANK YOU!

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote