Would you have issues with this Surveyor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You lost me at the mounting of the equipment was supposed to be "horizontal". Every extinguisher I have (other than my halon unit in the ER) is mounted vertically. Can someone explain the horizontal mounting thing?

That bit about horizontal mounting is a holdover from the old days. A lot of the old-time vessel examiners in the Auxiliary and Power Squadron will still talk about it, and maybe even the folks they've trained. These are the same people who will invert and slap the extinguisher to see if the agent inside has clumped in the bottom.

My understanding is that both the agents, and the way they're processed have changed since the old days. Clumping is no longer a big problem. There are no references to it in today's vessel examiner manuals, or any other current source.

It's the same with Y valves. In the old days, the only use for a Y valve was to select whether the toilet pumped over the side, or into a tank. Nowadays many builders set the head up to always pump into the tank, and from there it's either macerated overboard or pumped out. But VEs and boarding officers still look for that Y valve. I've been tempted to install one that does nothing, and put a big padlock on it, just to save time explaining.

Recalled

I have more of an issue with the fact the there was an enormous amount of information posted every where about the Kiddie recall and you still had them onboard your boat !

The best I can figure out was I was off grid at that time.
I have more of an issue with the fact the there was an enormous amount of information posted every where about the Kiddie recall and you still had them onboard your boat !

Back
Top Bottom