Old 10-25-2021, 12:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Brookfield, CT
Would you buy a boat that "rested on the bottom briefly?"

I follow Nordic Tug and American Tug listings from time to time. Just saw this listing and wondered why the price seemed low for a 2004 Nordic. Reading the details, it sounds like more than the outer hull got wet. Would the work done to date make it an acceptable bargain assuming it passes a rigorous survey? Would you buy a boat that got dunked and had this work done? Would there be more things to look out for? Thoughts?

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/200...ug-32-8019938/
Tin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:06 PM   #2
Guru

City: Owings, Md
Vessel Name: Graceland
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
The boat's name says it all.
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:08 PM   #3
Guru

City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Name: Second Chance
Vessel Model: 42' Uniflite Double Cabin
The 'new wiring where needed' would give me pause, after a dunking (in salt water) I would be suspect of all wiring and would tend to think you'll be finding new wiring issues for years to come as corrosion works it's way down through things that weren't replaced.
sbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:23 PM   #4
Guru

I would not want it.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:47 PM   #5
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
"Additionally, there has been discovered an area of moisture in the port side of the hull above the waterline that measures roughly 2' X 1'. It appears that a repair was performed in the past in this area. "

If this hull is cored, what is it cored with and it is wet on the inside. just means future hull repairs are likely
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:30 PM   #6
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbman View Post
The 'new wiring where needed' would give me pause, after a dunking (in salt water) I would be suspect of all wiring and would tend to think you'll be finding new wiring issues for years to come as corrosion works it's way down through things that weren't replaced.
In the past an insurance adjuster spec'd that 18 inches of wire be cut off and replaced, so they did not think all wiring should be done.

The 2x1 wet spot of a previous repair is a concern and should be in a planned re repair if purchased.

A mechanical inspection should determine if the engine rebuild was successful.

The purchase price appears to be about $50K lower than others. With everything disclosed and a sound mechanical report hell yes I would buy it if that is the boat type I was looking at.
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:49 PM   #7
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Rested on bottom and raised, i.e., sunk. Hard pass.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:50 PM   #8
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbman View Post
Agree. Unless all the wiring and electrical fixtures are replaced, I'd guess you'd have continuing problems. Runaway is apt.
Old 10-25-2021, 04:05 PM   #9
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. View Post
Agree. Unless all the wiring and electrical fixtures are replaced, I'd guess you'd have continuing problems. Runaway is apt.
Old 10-25-2021, 04:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Taylor
Vessel Name: Landfall
Vessel Model: Dover Craft/Bruce Roberts 43
Lots of rust on the engine
Landfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 04:38 PM   #11
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Its hard for me to comment. It is not my type of boat and I see several things that make me nervous. If it was the boat of my dreams and I couldn't afford another $50,000 then I would be more inclined to take a chance. For sure there will be some money spent on this boat down the road because of the sinking. How much is hard to say. Is a $50,000 savings worth the risks? Again, hard to say. I see all kinds of small issues just from the photo's. I don't feel this boat has had the best life. However, I have not been shopping for a Nordic Tug for some time. The last Nordic I looked at was two years ago, It was a 42, in much better shape and it sold for $400,000. This I realize is of no help to you. It just all comes back to relativity. We are all voicing our opinion relative to our needs and not yours. If you can afford more you should probably pass on this one. If this is all you can afford then it is probably worth the risk. If this is at your absolute limit then walk, you can't afford to keep up with the maintenance this boat is going to require.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 04:52 PM   #12
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
How does one find out if or what kind of insurance claims were paid out on a boat? Is there the equivalent of Carfax for boats?
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:12 PM   #13
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Rigorous survey would be the key. If you're a Nordic fanboy then the boat price is approaching the firm buy range. I would want to answer the question of why there is a wet core in an area that has been repaired before.

I'd also ask around the dock/shop re. why the owner is selling. It might be a shop queen and the owner is sick of throwing money at it? 250 hrs on the engine in 9 years is very light usage. Owner is elderly? Lives far away?

I'm not a nordic fan but if so I would be in Hampton tomorrow.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:21 PM   #14

City: Solomons MD.
Vessel Name: Sun Runner
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 34 Trawler MK III
I'd want to know the total hours on the engine.... Low hours on the generator.... Not much use maybe... Good survey and a hands on inspection.. Get a feel for the broker and owner.
Still it's been 9 years since it was dunked. I'd be willing to look at it if I was interested. Sure it will need some work sometime. Don't they all !!!! 16-17 years old, due for upgrades and heavy maintenance regardless.. Or 9 years since it was redone.
I just figure you buy a boat to work on it... What's this cruising people talk about ???
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:26 PM   #15
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
My 2 cents worth:

1. Take a look at the inside/underside of the transom.
2. Does it pass the sniff test?
3. Flashlight inspection of every hard to access nook and cranny.
4. Borescope look inside the valve covers of the main and gen.
5. Hard look inside the helm at the wiring and gauges.
6. Get rid of that red rug!

NT’s are quality vessels. Probably worth the time and effort necessary to bring her back.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:18 PM   #16
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Now, someone said it's $50 below fair market value? With that difference, it might depend if it were sunk in salt or fresh water.

If sunk in salt, it would be absolutely, NO, friken way... even if they gave it to me.

If sunk in fresh water is would be a plain hell no.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:41 PM   #17

Here’s the way I’d look at it. If you can afford the risk that you will have to plow money into the boat for the unforeseen issues you will experience down the road, I’d consider it. You might make out but you might not. If the discount is the only way you can financially afford the boat, don’t do it as you will be stretching to cover the unforeseen issues.

If it were me, I’d pass. Salt water is very destructive and it’s the hard to see/reach places that will bite you.
AlpinaRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 11:45 PM   #18
Guru

City: Homer, Ak
Vessel Name: Unicorn
Vessel Model: 1970 50' DEFEVER OFFSHORE CRUISER Timber
No way for me. too many hidden issues that will never go away.
ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 01:25 AM   #19
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
9 years should be long enough for the issues to present. External teak looks fine.
NT experts, what does the filler/outlet set in the swimstep serve? Like my boat, the swimstep appears part of the hull.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:33 AM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Brookfield, CT
Thanks for all the feedback. Going through the pictures again, it looks like there would be more projects than I would be comfortable with, not to mention the risk of more work uncovered in the process and down the road. Paying the yard to do the work would probably bring the cost up to, or over, the price of a well cared for Nordic. Pass
Tin Man is offline   Reply With Quote