Old 09-10-2018, 05:22 PM   #21
Guru

City: Southport, Florida
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano
40 feet? No problem. Take your time and smell the roses. take a 70-mile run to Cedar Keyand anchor overnight before setting off to either Steinhatchee or Dog Island (80 or 110 statute miles respectively). Once you hit hit Dog Island Pass you can go up to Carrabelle then meander over to Apalachicola before cruising up the Apalachicola River travel through Lake Wimico and thence down the Gulf Cutoff Canal to Port Saint Joe before taking to the outside again to make an idyllic anchorage at Crooked Island Sound about a dozen miles up the coast. Another dozen miles puts you at the St Andrew Bay pass into the Panama City area.

You can cross the Big Bend area any time of year, but some times of year, you have to wait for your weather window longer. We like the early spring and fall before the fronts begin to run through the area every 3-5 days.

rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:31 PM   #22
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Would it be crazy to go from Tampa Bay inlet to Pensacola?

That does sound like a fun cruise. Last time I went straight across from Clearwater to Panama City. I think it was like 22 hours?

I know it may sound strange, but I really like the longer open water passages. I enjoy the solitude of the open water and it gives me time to fiddle with the sails. If I could figure a way to do it single handed I would, but I donít think I can stay up for 24-36 hours.

cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:22 PM   #23
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
That does sound like a fun cruise. Last time I went straight across from Clearwater to Panama City. I think it was like 22 hours?

I know it may sound strange, but I really like the longer open water passages. I enjoy the solitude of the open water and it gives me time to fiddle with the sails. If I could figure a way to do it single handed I would, but I donít think I can stay up for 24-36 hours.
I agree! No better feeling in the world than being on watch at night on your own little ship,engine purring below your feet. Imagine all the peeps that never get to experience that sense of pleasure.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:40 PM   #24
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Would it be crazy to go from Tampa Bay inlet to Pensacola?

Itís not so hard to do the trip solo. Iíve done it several times. Try leaving in the afternoon for an ETA about 3-4 hours before dusk next day. If you can manage a nap before you go you can probably make it through the hours of darkness when your circadian rhythm would normally want you to sleep. Once the sun comes up next morning that need seems to fade away. I always enjoy an open sea passage and very rarely want to sleep once Iím Ďout thereí. Last year I did the trip from Tampa to Gulfport Mississippi, 48 hours. Second night was harder.
I agree with rganoís idea also. That trip can be done solo also. I did that in reverse this spring. Was a fun trip.

McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote