WOT on my primary boat is

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wide Open throttle on my primary boat is:

• My boat is full displacement and will not exceed hull speed

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • WOT is between hull speed and 12 knots

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • WOT is between 12 knots and 17 knots

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • WOT is between 17 knots and 22 knots

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • WOT is greater than 22 knots

Votes: 14 18.2%

• Total voters
WOT is 30kt
95% of the time it's running just fast enough to keep the egt at 500, 8kts

Wifey B: Another SeaRay :rofl: I laugh because that's what led to this poll, someone saying this forum wasn't for SeaRay's. :)

Hey, I resemble that remark!
Just finished the loop with our boat, that's trawler enough for me :)

Hey, I resemble that remark!
Just finished the loop with our boat, that's trawler enough for me :)

Wifey B: And the genesis of the debate was one thinking about a boat for the loop and a gas boat and even a Sea Ray.

How shocking to find out a sizable percentage of boats owned by people on Trawler Forum are not Trawlers. Almost like finding out that a large number of people on Yacht Forums don't own Yachts. :rolleyes:

We're a very diverse group of boaters with many shared interests. :D

ctjstr,
I could almost do that in a canoe.
And thinking of shared interests B I have three of them .. canoes.

Last edited:
Wide open throttle is 3,000 rpms. On flat water that gives 9.1 knots. Hull speed is 7.6 knots. I like to cruise at 7 knots (2,000 rpms), but my wife prefers that I back off to 1,500 which gives 5.5-5.8 knots. Fuel consumption at WOT is 2.2 gph. It is 0.7 gph at 7 knots and 0.25 gph at 5.5-5.8 knots. The hull is pure displacement with a 9,200 lbs displacement and 32' waterline. I repowered with a Volvo-Penta D2-40 40 hp in 2011.

Wide-open throttle is 2400 RPM, generates maximum speed of 7.3 knots (hull speed), the same achieved at 2200. Normal cruise of 6.3 knots is at 1800 RPM, cutting fuel consumption rate by more than half.

Based on survey results to date, only about 21 percent of us have (not-able-to-exceed-hull-speed) trawlers.

Last edited:
Wifey B: And the genesis of the debate was one thinking about a boat for the loop and a gas boat and even a Sea Ray.

How shocking to find out a sizable percentage of boats owned by people on Trawler Forum are not Trawlers. Almost like finding out that a large number of people on Yacht Forums don't own Yachts. :rolleyes:

We're a very diverse group of boaters with many shared interests. :D

We met several folks along the loop that were running gassers. Buddy boated with Silverton's, Carvers and Cruisers Inc.'s that were gas. They seemed to be having just as much fun as we were and as long as they ran right around 8 kts or so, didn't burn that much more fuel than us. There were 2 (that we met) Sea Rays that were not only gas but stern drives to boot.

With a tailwind on a calm day, I saw 19 knots, normally run 8-9 knots.

~9.5-10kt at 2100rpm heavy with the wind. Usually cruise 7kt at 1700rpm. The fuel differential isn't worth the 2.5kt.

Last edited:
My secondary boat. The hull is clean, and there is no eel grass on the rudder, but WOT has still been on a continual decline the past 10 years.

Attachments

• OC1.jpg
    OC1.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 44
WOT 25 ish, run 18-22 mostly

WOT for me is 8.3 knots at 2500 rpm. :dance:
Hull speed is about 6.5 knots at about 1650 rpm.
I can't find a teacup small enough to measure fuel consumption.

Primary boat is 4400 rpms and 62 mph with a 1-2 foot sea. Still waiting to see if the trawler floats...

Then the rpms would be 6000. Formula 330 with twin bbc.

Wifey B: Early in the day so I didn't catch the non-outboard RPM. Nice boat. Of course you did also do the old lake routine and go mph so it sounded even faster. So, you run 54 knots. :) We loved our Cobalt which ran just a tad faster.

And for CC lovers. You asked for it, they built it. 45' center console not big enough so Nor-tech builds a 56' model now. Don't know the speed. The 45' runs in the mid 80's mph, mid 70's knots. :dance:

Bravo 3s on that boat. They’re great for efficiency (1.5 mpg at 40 mph) and maneuverability, but not so much for high speed.

The humongous center console trend baffles me. But that’s the beauty of capitalism. Everyone can get what they want.

Bravo 3s on that boat. They’re great for efficiency (1.5 mpg at 40 mph) and maneuverability, but not so much for high speed.

The humongous center console trend baffles me. But that’s the beauty of capitalism. Everyone can get what they want.

Wifey B: It comes with outboards too. I'm guessing Seven's of some sort are the choice.

Space Cost Performance

As a day boat, hard to beat a CC. So much open space. Speed with outboards. Compare say a 42' CC with a Hatteras 45'. Will out perform, has more passenger space for day cruising or great for a day of fishing, and only a fraction of the cost. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom