Worth it to upgrade tv’s?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My wife watches a lot of TV so a lift type thing in a cabinet would be a waste because it would always be up. However, for those who want a TV but don’t watch a lot and don’t want it to be the centerpiece of the salon, I think it might be worth the expense.

My wife watches a lot of TV so a lift type thing in a cabinet would be a waste because it would always be up. However, for those who want a TV but don’t watch a lot and don’t want it to be the centerpiece of the salon, I think it might be worth the expense.
Perfect response. As always, it depends on the use case.

My wife watches a lot of TV so a lift type thing in a cabinet would be a waste because it would always be up. However, for those who want a TV but don’t watch a lot and don’t want it to be the centerpiece of the salon, I think it might be worth the expense.[/QUOTEThat was certainly the case in my situation!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 6.15.54 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 6.15.54 AM.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 14
Inland cruising any local TV frequently is better at local weather than NOAA.

I’m with Porgy. I watch TV a lot and it would be up all the time. It also seems like the quintessential “another thing to break”. However, if you are a minimal watcher, yea, maybe a hide-away is a good option. I would,however, rather have the extra cabinet storage than use it for the lifting mechanism.

I am forever bemused by folks responding to postings such as seeking advice on television issues and responding that they read books, or rarely watch TV, etc. I ask each one of you - how are your comments or observations helpful to the original poster? Do you really think he cares that you don't watch TV?

We watch TV aboard and enjoy it for a variety of reasons personal to us. As to the OP, we occasionally use a tablet to stream but most of our watching is on one of our two smart TVs via a streaming service. I enjoy sports viewing. Watching on a tablet is much less satisfying than on a 32- or 42-inch TV. When we cruise we use Dish TV through an Intellian i4 because we have found cell service lacking in many anchorages. No, it is not inexpensive. We do not care. Neither is boating in general. And, over-the-air free TV, well, that can be even more spotty than streaming via cell service.

Think the original post was in fact asking if it was worth it to install a TV on a boat. Also think the responses about using tablets, not either having a TV aboard, or reading in lieu of watching TV are as relevant to the question as your high dollar Intellian. So I ask you, how was your berating comment helpful?

I would not be able to watch TV on a phone or even a tablet. I have a 12 volt TV/DVD player on my boat but it's a bit old and obsolete. It still works as a TV but it's not "smart" enough to use anything but an antenna or cable connection.

I may replace it with one that can use the Internet.

As for those who proudly claim that they never watch TV, that's fine for you, but obviously, a lot of other people do watch TV for one reason or another.

My TV gets very little TV viewing unless I need an occasional local weather or news report. Most of my viewing comes via streaming on portable devices.

When I added video cameras to the ER, I connected them to the TV for viewing since the TV was never in use while underway. Now, that's the TV's function for ~95% of it's running time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom