Working from a Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Neither my wife nor I are in the position to need to work while afloat, retarded.
so #2 doesn't apply.

#1 although lots of comments about this, all bad, I will add , BAD idea. The boat is always looking for a different path than what you intend. In many cases all it takes is a few seconds of inattention to land in trouble. How do I know?
At least I have not run aground but inattention, not GLUED, but just fiddling with something else can put you on an unintended track OR cause you to run over a log, hole the boat, leave a rudder on the bottom and so on.
An A/P can help but even so YOU must pay attention or even with the A/P something else may jump at you.

#3 When working marina wifi was iffy even when there were providers other than the marina. We used it only for our own email needs, not work. THose who needed to be connected often needed Sat. communications. Granted our cruising grounds are often highly limited to signals, even VHF can be lost, so you must be aware of where you cruise as many areas will have slim to no wifi. I know things have changed since we quit working but there are often still large dead areas for several days especially if you are counting on it to "WORK".

I just heave-to when I need to make/receive a conference call. Never been an issue.

I don't try to accomplish any work not related to driving the boat when the boat is moving though.

Back
Top Bottom