Wool or nylon carpet preference?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bowball

Guru
Which do you prefer for carpet on the boat? Including possibility of coffee or red wine spill on a light colored carpet?

We had our boat recarpeted last summer and used a nylon that the company recommended as the best choice. They do quite a few boats so we took their recommendation. So far we love it, we actually had them recarpet our stairs and bedrooms with the exact same carpet. We got a medium gray due to our black lab. He sheds a lot and it isn’t as noticeable.

Have carpet now. As part of our refit putting in synthetic Amtico. Current carpet is a beige and not that worn. Don’t like carpet in a boat. Hard to get sand out and even with no shoes rule it happens. Holds allergens and mold spores so hard on folks with allergies. Stains and shows wear patterns. Given you’re taking up the carpet and for good carpet cost differential isn’t large think about synthetic and a few scatter rugs. The synthetic flooring is much better than in the past and pretty non slip even if wet.

My / our preference is area carpet where desired over easily cleaned synthetic flooring. Ours happens to be PlasTeak inside. Replaced fwd cabin carpet w PlasDeck using a their foam underlayment and really like the feel underfoot.
My wife loves the ease of cleaning as the interior is now done with a swiffer pad. Eara rugs where desired are easy to remove to clean or replace if/ when desired.

Have carpet now. As part of our refit putting in synthetic Amtico. Current carpet is a beige and not that worn. Don’t like carpet in a boat. Hard to get sand out and even with no shoes rule it happens. Holds allergens and mold spores so hard on folks with allergies. Stains and shows wear patterns. Given you’re taking up the carpet and for good carpet cost differential isn’t large think about synthetic and a few scatter rugs. The synthetic flooring is much better than in the past and pretty non slip even if wet.

I'm in this camp as well. My boat has carpet everywhere and I hate it. It's nice to look at and walk on, but it's impossible to keep clean. You clean it, use the boat for a few days and it's filthy again. It's just too hard to keep dust and dirt from blowing in or getting tracked in.

Getting rid of the carpet on my boat is solidly on the project list, just hasn't made it to the top yet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom