Old 02-17-2019, 07:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Night Watch
Vessel Model: 36’ Nova Sundeck

Greetings
I have enjoyed the site for 2 years now and admire the way you all share information which can be extremely hard to find. I am a new boat owner, having bought a 38' Nova two years ago with extensive water damage from being "outside" with leaky salon windows. That being fixed by an excellent boatyard, I am trying to learn general maintenance for the first time. I should not have waited until I was single and in my dotage before buying the boat!

If anyone can recommend a good book for Volvo Penta TMD41A maintenance I would be much appreciated. I have the Volvo brochure (in 3 languages) but it covers much more extensive repairs then replacing raw water impellers (which may not have been changed since 2006 as there is no log after that)

I have developed a phobia about doing anything electrical or mechanical on my own boat, though I am more than happy to work on others. I don't know whether it is the fear of electrocution or the fear of frying my "boat repair fund."

PS I have joined the Power Squadron and hope to go through their series of classes so perhaps there is hope ahead

All the best to you folks that are actually going through the Locks someplace!
One day...
Katherine
Night Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. Find some boating friends to help you work on your boat to gain some experience. Good luck.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:10 AM   #3
Guru

City: Solomons, MD
Vessel Name: Branwen
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Welcome! Calder's books are excellent references, but there may be others specifically for your engine. I'm always concerned about my abilities before diving into a project, but with study and preparation, I usually find that the task is not as scary as I thought, and I learn a lot and gain confidence as I go.
GregBrannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:49 AM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. As far as confidence doing your own maintenance, get a basic set of half decent (need NOT be Snap-On and wouldn't recommend Harbor Freight-somewhere in between) tools and start with little things. What's the worst that can happen?

Always wear safety glasses and appropriate safety gear!

There's a thread or two on TF regarding tool selection. Oh, and stock up on Band-Aids and start a swear jar....Just sayin'

Old 02-18-2019, 09:44 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
I have a pair of TAMD41s.
I do my own basic stuff and have found that oil filter changes, water pump impeller or water pump changes, air filter changes, fuel filter changes, etc are not specific to these engines. Even removal of the heat exchangers, oil coolers, intercoolers, etc are "just do it" items that don't require a book specific to the engines.
The only thing I have had trouble with, over the 25 yrs I have had this boat, is finding a 17 mm open end with a short enough throw for removing a bad starter.
You should be fine.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Night Watch
Vessel Model: 36’ Nova Sundeck
Thanks for the input. The impellers are next on the list.
Cheers
Night Watch is offline   Reply With Quote