Old 06-02-2017, 03:19 PM   #1

City: fort lauderdale
wooden 60' fantail trawler great loop

hey guys i currently have my own 44 gulfstar trawler but i got a temp gig of delivering a wooden trawler from fort lauderdale up the east cost through the locks and end up in southern lake Michigan. its not my first time doing long trips since i work on super yachts full time but id appreciate any pointers for the trip.

the boat is 60' and has twin cat 3208. i have not been to see the boat yet to see if they're turbo or not. i'm wondering what you think the fuel burn and speed would be. the boat has a small 800 gallon tank.
slowNsteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:34 PM   #2
TJM

City: Essex, Ct.
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: 1982 41' President
I have done the trip backwards from the eastern shore on Lake Michigan to CT. We were on the water for over 4 weeks and it was a great trip.
The Erie canal system has a strict speed limit. You will pass into Canada thru the georgian bay - northern pass system. I hope you will have help with you ? Canadians don't like passage of a boat without a person on the bow handling lines.
TJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:12 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
What is the boats draft and air draft. On the TSW you have to sign a release of liability if you draw more that 5' and I think that the limit is 6'.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:58 PM   #4

City: Saanich BC
Vessel Name: Therapi
Vessel Model: 1998 Bayliner 4087
Greetings; The questions asked re water and air draft at significant. However, given your journey and notwithstanding I would like you to see our lovely canal system, and once again offering advice without being asked here goes. Take the NY system to Oswego, turn left and proceed down Lake Ontario to the Welland Canal. You need three person on board to go through the canal. Proceed westward through Lake Erie, turn right at the Detroit river and continue up to Sarnia. then head north. It is better to take the west shore. Continue up Lake Huron keeping Michigan on your lelf to the Straights of Mackinac around into Lake Michigan. Not knowing your Michigan destintantion I cannot suggest the shore to go down.

Fuel wise you tankage is more than adequate for the Great Lakes as there are numerous marinas along my suggested route.

Why stay away from the Trent Severn, First off this summer it will be terribly busy, secondly a 60 ft boat has limited places to stop. You would not need fuel likely from Trenton to Georgian Bay, but given the draft of about 5ft notwithstanding current high water that number in some areas drops offly close to 4.

The only issue is that you are travelling the commercial hwy and will have to take a back seat to commercial traffic, but in the long run it would and will be a better trip. B
Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
Greetings; The questions asked re water and air draft at significant. However, given your journey and notwithstanding I would like you to see our lovely canal system, and once again offering advice without being asked here goes. Take the NY system to Oswego, turn left and proceed down Lake Ontario to the Welland Canal. You need three person on board to go through the canal. Proceed westward through Lake Erie, turn right at the Detroit river and continue up to Sarnia. then head north. It is better to take the west shore. Continue up Lake Huron keeping Michigan on your lelf to the Straights of Mackinac around into Lake Michigan. Not knowing your Michigan destintantion I cannot suggest the shore to go down.

Fuel wise you tankage is more than adequate for the Great Lakes as there are numerous marinas along my suggested route.

Why stay away from the Trent Severn, First off this summer it will be terribly busy, secondly a 60 ft boat has limited places to stop. You would not need fuel likely from Trenton to Georgian Bay, but given the draft of about 5ft notwithstanding current high water that number in some areas drops offly close to 4.

The only issue is that you are travelling the commercial hwy and will have to take a back seat to commercial traffic, but in the long run it would and will be a better trip. B

thanks for the input guys, sorry im very light on the details i just got the call for the job and the owners dont know much about the boat. the name is admiral benbow give it a google it an awesome boat. anyways it drafts 6' im trying to take the shortest possible route due to me wanting to make my money and get back to working on my personal boat. not sure about the airdraft but i know the arch lowers. So im told. i will be traveling with one other person. i have worked with this guy for a year teaching him all about being a "professional" mariner. i beleive this boat will cruise at like 7 kn given the research i have learned about the fuel burn and speeds of 3208 on smaller boats.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:54 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

With 6' draft the TSW is out. You would have to take the Detroit River route. I would guess at 7 knots the fuel burn would be 6 GPH or so. With 800 gallons you will have enough range to easily do the trip.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:03 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Oh my, I just looked at a video of this boat. Awesome. However I think my guess of 6 GPH is probably way low.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
With 6' draft the TSW is out. You would have to take the Detroit River route. I would guess at 7 knots the fuel burn would be 6 GPH or so. With 800 gallons you will have enough range to easily do the trip.

ok sounds good ill keep looking into it, there is tons of info out there but its not easy to understand it all. im leaving fort lauderdale this Friday and hoping to get to Holland Michigan a month later due to other stuff i have todo. i see lots of 20 hour days ahead of me. this is much more planning than the atlantic crossings i have done.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:09 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
That's a sweet boat no doubt.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Oh my, I just looked at a video of this boat. Awesome. However I think my guess of 6 GPH is probably way low.

i agree from what i have looked into. those are small engines to push that 60' boat they will need to be working pretty hard to stay at 7-8 knots i believe. the boat has flow meters so im taking it on a sea trial for a few hours next week.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:11 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Keep us informed as to your progress. We ran from VA to Mi last year with our boat. It was a lot of fun.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:25 PM   #12
Guru

City: Boston Area
There was some info about the boat posted for the Palm Beach Boat show that listed the max speed as 10 knots.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
There was some info about the boat posted for the Palm Beach Boat show that listed the max speed as 10 knots.
correct, Max speed 10 knots means much slower cruise so im not working those to the max for a month straight burning alot of fuel. so im looking forward to see an honest cruise speed this coming week.