Old 11-17-2017, 12:05 PM   #21

City: RIchmond
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Bamboo flooring is shocking it soaks moisture swells and falls apart
Never heard that before...not saying it isn't true.

I know a couple guys who had bamboo put in their boats and it looked very good. So far, no problems I'm aware of.

Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:23 PM   #22
Guru

City: Noank, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Hi Wag,

I think the best choice would be an engineered product. Plywood backing with the hardwood surface of your favorite wood. Engineered flooring usually comed pre finished with a very hard, durable finish often six or more coats oven cured. It can be glued or nailed or sometimes "clicked" together. The cost is very reasonable esp. when you consider how small the typical saloon/cabin is.

In reality, choose any floor product you like. Despite what you may hear there is no real difference installing wood flooring (engineered or standard) on a boat or in a waterfront house.

Feel free to message me or call 860-885-8382. There are hundreds of choices. Get what you like don't listen to the naysayers.

Rob

Old 11-17-2017, 02:46 PM   #23

City: SOBX North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datenight View Post
Hi Wag,

I think the best choice would be an engineered product. Plywood backing with the hardwood surface of your favorite wood. Engineered flooring usually comed pre finished with a very hard, durable finish often six or more coats oven cured. It can be glued or nailed or sometimes "clicked" together. The cost is very reasonable esp. when you consider how small the typical saloon/cabin is.

In reality, choose any floor product you like. Despite what you may hear there is no real difference installing wood flooring (engineered or standard) on a boat or in a waterfront house.

Feel free to message me or call 860-885-8382. There are hundreds of choices. Get what you like don't listen to the naysayers.

Rob
Pergo engineered flooring sold at Lowes is not plywood backed hardwood. The core is powered dust glued together, for the lack of specific descriptions of the substrate.
Scratchnsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:23 PM   #24
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
Sportfishing buddy just installed vinyl plank, wood looking stuff, in his galley of a nice 40' sportfisher. Looks good and tough.
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:21 PM   #25
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I've also been considering wood floor options for quite some time.

I considered bamboo. There is good and bad bamboo out there. Regular bamboo is fairly soft and doesn't wear well, but strand woven bamboo is extremely hard (Janka scale hardness of 15).
I did some tests with a sample of SW bamboo and found that although soaking it in water didn't cause it to swell or break down, it was prone to getting a black mould type growth if damp for any length of time.

I am now considering using some home grown timber for the floor.
One is Australian Buloke or Bull Oak which Wikipedia lists as the hardest wood in the world. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janka_hardness_test
The other is Grey Box which I think is even harder than the Bull Oak, although it isn't listed in the rankings.
I have enough slowing drying to do the sole in the boat next year.

It won't help with positive flotation as both are much heavier than water.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:23 PM   #26
Guru

City: Bayfield, WI
Vessel Name: Gopher Broke
Vessel Model: Silverton 410 Sport Bridge
We put a completely waterproof product called COREtec Plus in our kitchen and screened porch. It's kind of a cross between a vinyl and a laminate. It is waterproof and does not swell when wet, and as such it works great in the kitchen when the dog splashes water everywhere. But as a snap-lock product it still gets water in between and underneath in the screened porch with heavy downpours, and that has caused warping over time with the freeze/thaw cycles. I wouldn't hesitate to install it inside a boat though. Zero problems with dog nails, dirt, scratches, etc.
BDofMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:39 PM   #27
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Coretec plus is a 100% vinyl product just like Traffic Masterís Allure. They both come in planks that snap together. They are both floating floors.

Allure can be found at Home Depot.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:27 PM   #28
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Traffic Master’s Allure

I've used this in all of my rental properties in kitchens and bathrooms for over 7 years. No problems at all - water proof. Would not hesitate to put this in a boat. Bought all at Home Depot.
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:26 PM   #29
Guru

City: Bayfield, WI
Vessel Name: Gopher Broke
Vessel Model: Silverton 410 Sport Bridge
According to the website, COREtec is not 100% vinyl.
"The patented construction of COREtec Plus features our innovative COREtec core structure, which is an extruded core made from recycled wood and bamboo dust, limestone, and virgin PVC. "
BDofMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:47 AM   #30
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
I am just about done refinishing the original teak parquet floor in the master suite of our Defever 44. Sanded to bare wood and finished with water-borne urethane. Looks great and the sanding removed all the high spots on the edges of the individual pieces. I am not at all worried about durability. The original finish lasted 34 years.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:15 AM   #31
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
I am just about done refinishing the original teak parquet floor in the master suite of our Defever 44. Sanded to bare wood and finished with water-borne urethane. Looks great and the sanding removed all the high spots on the edges of the individual pieces. I am not at all worried about durability. The original finish lasted 34 years.
I last varnished my teak parquet floor about 10 years ago. I still get comments from visitors like "I see you have been busy varnishing your floors. They look beautiful". I do have small carpets so you can always walk on a dry floor.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:37 AM   #32
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
What is virgin PVC? Itís vinyl! BD you are right it is not 100% vinyl, itís like 99% vinyl.

I am not knocking the product. The stuff looks good and it is completely water proof. Wear rate is excellent. I too use it in my rental properties and have had far better luck with it than laminate based products such as pergo.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:23 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchnsaw View Post
Pergo engineered flooring sold at Lowes is not plywood backed hardwood. The core is powered dust glued together, for the lack of specific descriptions of the substrate.
And engineered flooring is not Pergo! It usually refers to a hardwood veneer (of varying thickness) over a plywood substrate.

Rob
Old 11-18-2017, 12:50 PM   #34

City: SOBX North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datenight View Post
And engineered flooring is not Pergo! It usually refers to a hardwood veneer (of varying thickness) over a plywood substrate.

Rob
So Mr. Pergo is falsely advertising?.

https://na.pergo.com/hardwood-flooring

Quote:
Hardwood Flooring Products

Finding your perfect hardwood floor

Browse our solid, locking engineered and engineered hardwood flooring collections from the latest wood floor colors, finish, styles, species and textures. From solid wood floors to locking engineered hardwood, Pergo floors beautify your home and are easy to install. Order a sample today!

Selections:
<LI class=constructionname1LockingEngineered>Locking Engineered (13)
Scratchnsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:59 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchnsaw View Post
So Mr. Pergo is falsely advertising?.

https://na.pergo.com/hardwood-flooring
Have never seen a Pergo hardwood flooring product and I keep up with this stuff. Maybe new? The site says Lowe's has it. I should check it out.

Rob
Old 11-18-2017, 01:06 PM   #36
Guru

I put down a vinyl strip floor (4" X 3', self-sticking)) on our trawler 17 years ago and it is still holding up. Just could not beat the price or ease of installation. Both Home Depot and Lowe's carries the stuff.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 01:29 PM   #37
Veteran Member

City: N/A
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
Don't forget: The OP was concerned with the cost of vinyl tiles.
Which is probably the cheapest thing known to man apart from old newspapers
I'm not as concerned with cost as I am with value. Not to mention, it's kinda dumb to concern myself with the material choice expense when labor is probably 80% of the job. There's probably 50-60 square feet of flooring in question, so the variation in price from the cheapest vinyl to the nicest teak isn't a huge component of the overall cost.

Anyway, thanks to all for the valuable insight. As of now, one of the top contenders is Ipe...a product I'm fairly familiar with, as is my wood guy. Not the easiest material to work with, but in the natural wood category - not much seems to surpass it in terms of durability and stability. It's a tad dark for my tastes, but perhaps we can offset the darkness by tossing in some lighter/thinner strips of something else into the mix.

Also, for those of you suggesting I do it myself...I know my limitations. Mechanically, electrical/electronics, anything like that - sure, within my abilities. But, I've a long-standing rule when it comes to such things...I just don't do finish work. That includes joinery and fiberglass work. It's a talent that has always escaped me, and I'll simply stare at my kludge of a job forever wishing I'd paid a pro to do it.

I'll save $$ by utilizing my skills elsewhere.
Wagmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:38 PM   #38

City: Ventura
Vessel Name: Tatanka
Vessel Model: 32' Nordic Tug
Fort Lauderdale Teak & Holly Interior Boat Flooring - Custom Marine Carpentry

And

Amtico

For basic info on the Amtico
Tunajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:07 AM   #39
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
I just picked up some Jatoba (Brazilian Cherry) to make some repairs to the deck of my swim step. This is a common durable wood for making floors.

I will post some picks when itís done.

Jatoba | The Wood Database - Lumber Identification (Hardwood)

Edensaw Woods - Quality Marine Plywood & Lumber Yard Supply
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:53 AM   #40

City: Washington
I installed AMTICO "teak and holly" strip flooring in my boat. It looks great but it was a pretty tedious job. It goes down with a special mastic and a V grove trowel. The layout (making sure the seams and different colored boards are random and allowing for the hatches) was the hardest part.

aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote