Wonder When This Will Hit The West Coast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
The Coast Guard has received a report of fifty-eight (58) shipping containers adrift approximately 650NM SSE of Dutch Harbor, Alaska, in approximate position 43°18.3’N, 162°27.3’W. Mariners are requested to transit the area with caution. Questions/concerns can be directed to the Coast Guard District Seventeen Command Center at (907) 463-2000.:confused:

I wonder whats in them?

And are they radio active?

It would be cool to salvage them somehow and find out!

Yeah, someone should attach a spot gps device on a couple of them to track them. How many can we tow with your AT?

The show, Container Wars, should load up a boat and go out and have the participants bid on them as are where are.

Thanks MC.

Bligh, assuming I could get there. And if the weather was good and I had enough whiskey, and if the sun was just at the right spot. And Bob Marley was on the radio. My calculations suggest that I could tow all 0 of them. But sure would be an awesome adventure. :)

Thanks MC.

Bligh, assuming I could get there. And if the weather was good and I had enough whiskey, and if the sun was just at the right spot. And Bob Marley was on the radio. My calculations suggest that I could tow all 0 of them. But sure would be an awesome adventure. :)

Hail me as you're passing Campbell River and we can have a convoy.

I think we should focus on the whisky.

I'm sure between your Nordic and my American we could at least hook on to one of them. I'll bring the whiskey!

I'm sure between your Nordic and my American we could at least hook on to one of them. I'll bring the whiskey!

And I'll bring the mixer. You drink it neat, right?

And to reiterate, our focus is on finding a container full of whisky.

The Coast Guard has received a report of fifty-eight (58) shipping containers adrift approximately 650NM SSE of Dutch Harbor, Alaska, in approximate position 43°18.3’N, 162°27.3’W. Mariners are requested to transit the area with caution. Questions/concerns can be directed to the Coast Guard District Seventeen Command Center at (907) 463-2000.:confused:

I'm sure Our Guy will be on a sharp lookout

lost1.jpg

Pray for a really calm day otherwise hooking up may cost you your boat...my open water salvage experiences have been scary in mild weather.

They might be abandoned...maybe not...if not, you can salvage them but don't own them...you just have claim to reimbursement for your troubles.

"The salvor of property under pure salvage must bring his claim for salvage in a court which has jurisdiction, and this will award salvage based upon the "merit" of the service and the value of the salvaged property" Marine salvage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's a long trip...

Green arrow at 43°18.3’n, 162°27.3’w

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 82
I wonder what the total count of lost containers per year is?

We have a "floatee" from a container that fell overboard in the Pacific in 1992. These little guys have quite a history. Some made to the east coast 15 years later.

from the following article

"At this moment, five or six million shipping containers are on cargo ships sailing across the world’s oceans. Estimates provided by the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute say nearly 10,000 of these containers are lost at sea each year."

Read more: Nearly 10000 shipping containers are lost at sea each year | CW39 NewsFix

Pray for a really calm day otherwise hooking up may cost you your boat...my open water salvage experiences have been scary in mild weather. They might be abandoned...maybe not...if not, you can salvage them but don't own them...you just have claim to reimbursement for your troubles. "The salvor of property under pure salvage must bring his claim for salvage in a court which has jurisdiction, and this will award salvage based upon the "merit" of the service and the value of the salvaged property" Marine salvage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sorry if you took us literally. My salvage experience tells me that this not something I would realistically take on with my toy boat.

Sorry if you took us literally. My salvage experience tells me that this not something I would realistically take on with my toy boat.

Agree. But in any event our focus was on the whisky.

Heck - I'll take it on! Always into a good adventure!

All I need now is a real big bunch of filled fuel bladers... and, oh yes... about that Whkey??? lol

Imagine once secure avg 2 knots... did I mention... how bout da Whkey!!

:dance: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :thumb:

Years ago we had a ship loose a container from China off the Washington coast that was full of Nike shoes. Apparently, it busted open and we had shoes washing up on the beaches from Astoria to Vancouver Island. Unfortunately, the shoes aren't tied together, so you never found two shoes that were the same. People were posting adds on the internet and Little Nickel paper:rolleyes: trying to find the matching shoe!

I'm assuming one of the containers is full of whiskey for the ride back.

Years ago we had a ship loose a container from China off the Washington coast that was full of Nike shoes. Apparently, it busted open and we had shoes washing up on the beaches from Astoria to Vancouver Island. Unfortunately, the shoes aren't tied together, so you never found two shoes that were the same. People were posting adds on the internet and Little Nickel paper:rolleyes: trying to find the matching shoe!

Two mis-matched running shoes nailed to pallet slats = water skis.

What can I say? Commercial fishermen get bored waiting for an opening.

Greetings,
Mr. Art. Hell, you can't even spell it how are you going to drink it?

observing.gif.pagespeed.ce.XfbPZG6A2B.gif

There are at least three ways to spell the W word....

1) Countries that have E’s in their names (UnitEd StatEs and IrEland) tend to spell it whiskEy (plural whiskeys).

2) Countries without E’s in their names (Canada, Scotland, and Japan) spell it whisky (plural whiskies).

3) Folks who have spirits distilled from a mash of fermented grains in them spell it whkey.

...I'll go for that Conrad. Good explanation and it makes sense

Back
Top Bottom