Old 05-01-2014, 07:32 PM   #61
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Dan, we visited UK last year, incl. Cornwall and its numerous little protected fishing harbors, though we delayed Cornwall a few days until a severe weather alert lifted. "Doc Martin" does the waterfront towns and harbors proud. The tide level changes are extraordinary.
And yes, go boating, spend the kids inheritance.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:11 PM   #62
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post

Over the weekend the wifey and I were discussing our Future In Boating.

After we discussed this list, the wifey said we need to sell everything, buy a boat and go NOW! That is my girl!

The wifey said, if we did not have kids, we would sell everything and get the boat.

Later,
Dan
THEN - You Woke UP!!!

Just kidden! Sounds a great wife - ENJOY!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:56 AM   #63
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Dan, we visited UK last year, incl. Cornwall and its numerous little protected fishing harbors, though we delayed Cornwall a few days until a severe weather alert lifted. "Doc Martin" does the waterfront towns and harbors proud. The tide level changes are extraordinary.
Apology for the slight thread hijack.

Bruce I have just spent some time in Cornwall last month, did you get to Polperro. Great little spot with some brilliant pubs.........or so I'm told.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:03 AM   #64
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Yes, we also loved that Cornish Coast. Cornish pasties come a close second. We also love Doc Martin. We got the whole series on DVD, that's 1to 5, series 6 just showed on TV here.
Being a Doc myself it has me in fits, not only because he gets to say to some patients what we all sometimes feel like saying, but also because he gets away with it...in the series...in real life he would have had so many complaints laid, he would be barred from practice. But yes, the scenery also sells it.
St Ives is unfinished business for me. We just did not have time...
Old 05-02-2014, 08:17 AM   #65
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
The kids get the boat when we are done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
THEN - You Woke UP!!!

Just kidden! Sounds a great wife - ENJOY!!
Yeah, I think I will keep her.

While watching Doc Martin and using Google Maps/Earth to look at the UK and Ireland, the coastline sure is pretty and has many places we want to visit. OTH, I see that same coastline and it would not be so pretty with a storm blowing you to shore.

I figure if we ever make it over there, we will make it a point to visit every RNLI boat house in port and make a donation. Good insurance/Karma.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:04 AM   #66

City: Sanibel fl
I just want to say one simple thing about women and men on the water... It has nothing to do with gender and everything to do with ones love for being on the water (preferably in a boat).
Beatrice Coyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:09 AM   #67

City: Sanibel fl
Don't let kids be the excuse for not doing it. Do it with them. Most kids who are brought up on the water are far ahead of their peers due to their life experiences and not being exposed to public schools! What a treasure trove of life memories you will have. In the end, you will recognize you lived your life not dreamed of what could have been.
Beatrice Coyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:26 PM   #68
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatrice Coyne View Post
Don't let kids be the excuse for not doing it. Do it with them. Most kids who are brought up on the water are far ahead of their peers due to their life experiences and not being exposed to public schools! What a treasure trove of life memories you will have. In the end, you will recognize you lived your life not dreamed of what could have been.
Our kids are of the age that they need to be in school and the school they are in is outstanding. I don't think we could find another school this good anywhere else. That is a statement not only about the quality of the teachers, but also the kids that go to the school, and how long the kids have known each other and the teachers. I went to quite a few schools as a kid and moving was no big deal. The school my kids go to is so outstanding, rare and special, that it would take a real disaster for us to take the kids from the school.

The kids also have no interest at all in getting on a boat and traveling. I do mean no interest. None. Nada. Zip.

Thus the child clock ticks before we can go...

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:24 PM   #69
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Our kids are of the age that they need to be in school and the school they are in is outstanding. I don't think we could find another school this good anywhere else. That is a statement not only about the quality of the teachers, but also the kids that go to the school, and how long the kids have known each other and the teachers. I went to quite a few schools as a kid and moving was no big deal. The school my kids go to is so outstanding, rare and special, that it would take a real disaster for us to take the kids from the school.

The kids also have no interest at all in getting on a boat and traveling. I do mean no interest. None. Nada. Zip.

Thus the child clock ticks before we can go...

Later,
Dan
Wifey B: As a former teacher who felt our district was great, I appreciate your compliments regarding your kids schools. There are good schools. You're also observant enough to realize it takes kids who contribute to a special community and really special parents as you seem to be. So great when you find parents you can communicate with and they'll work with you. When you find kids who want to learn but also understand appropriate behavior. By that I don't mean being perfect, still be kids. Just time and place appropriate. And parents who tell you things to be aware of or look for. Now I still develop reading programs and implement them.

My hubby and I both admire that you grasp how special the situation you and your kids have is and don't want to disrupt it. Would they adjust to change? Probably. But you never know the impact. It's too easy for boaters to overestimate how a boating life on the move might be for kids. For different reasons my hubby and I both sort of skipped over those fun kid years with a group of friends in school and we missed a lot. Yes, we learned other things but we weren't doing what kids our age should have been doing. We're like children today I think because we skipped that part. But sports, music, various school groups, and trained teachers in many subjects.

I'm not intending to say the cruising life isn't great for some kids. Each parent has to make the choice they feel is best and it's not my place to second guess. But I'm just saying I admire your insight and caring that leads you to value what your kids have now and do what you feel is best for them, even if it delays some pleasure you want to experience. Something tells me your time will come. Then probably your adult kids will love joining you periodically and might even envy your life of freedom.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:30 PM   #70
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatrice Coyne View Post
Kids are never an excuse and a parent does what they think is best for their kids. Kids brought up on the water aren't automatically ahead. Some are, some aren't. Most gain some things and miss others. And your comment about exposed to public schools. My wife taught in an excellent school as part of an excellent district. The kids on the whole were great and learned many things, from subject matter to caring for others. He'll have a treasure trove of memories with his kids. He will never regret or think of what life might have been. He'll have his dreams as well. But the greatest dream of a parent is enjoying life with their kids and doing what is best for them.

What is right for you or in your mind may not be what is best for him or his kids. I just have a problem with anyone who acts as if their way is the only way and does a blanket condemnation of other ways.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:35 PM   #71
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Excellent post Wifey B, too often kids are sacrificed at the alter of parental desires. Our boat choice and boating style was made to augment our kids life, not alter it. In a few years when our youngest leaves the nest our boating style may make a drastic change. Until then we enjoy it as a pleasant distraction from our otherwise "normal" suburban lifestyle.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote