Woman's Prerogrative

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonstruck

Guru
Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Is it any wonder that I think I may be getting vertigo. Go figure. We have changed our minds again at least temporarily. Most everyone on the East Coast of Florida knows that Fort Pierce City Marina has been rebuilding their floating docks destroyed by the hurricane.

The docks were built by Bellingham Marine, and they are indeed first class. Everything about them is nice including in slip pump outs. Well Lou took a look at them, then we started talking.

We discussed the pros and cons of moving to Jacksonville. The pros were shorter driving time, the St. Johns River, and being near my grandson. The cons were colder in winter, 25 miles to the ocean, and long trip to the Bahamas or Cuba.

The cons won out, and "we" decided to stay in Fort Pierce. The new slip is quieter, and away from the tourists. We can't even hear the bands at the Tiki Bar.

One of the cons for Fort Pierce is the tide really rips through the new slips. It's about like docking a Charleston City Marina. When you enter a fairway, you'd better know what you are doing. The side setting currents will push you around quickly. Below a a few photos of Moonstruck in her new slip. The picture of the current around the piling is about half speed of maximum.

img_354107_0_363e347643e2986103ce7989af902a74.jpg

img_354107_1_6164e60042dea712f32713997a27ebbe.jpg

Those look just like Marina Jack in Sarasota must be same manufacturer

Those look just like Marina Jack in Sarasota must be same manufacturer

If Bellingham did the ones at Marina Jacks they will have the Bellingham name on several places including the cleats and connection boxes in the concrete.

It looks like your fairways are pretty wide, so that takes some of the stress out of getting lined up and backing in. Your docks look a lot like ours, but they also look like just about every marina out there that has new docks within the past 10 years or so.

Happy Wife = Happy Life.

You made the right choice.

The only problem with the Bellingham floats is the need for gussets on each finger. Makes it tight to go stern in, unless you have a lot of excess length.

Other than that, great design.

Good news, bad news but we understand. We were hoping to see you guys in JAX. I guess we'll have to come down to Ft. P to see Moonstruck. :)

The only problem with the Bellingham floats is the need for gussets on each finger. Makes it tight to go stern in, unless you have a lot of excess length.

Other than that, great design.

Yeah, the finger piers are 45' long so there is plenty of length. This gives me enough room to lower the dinghy in the slip, and get around the boat to fish the new fish attractors outside the new islands. Altogether pretty happy with the arrangement.

GFC, with about a 3 1/2 knot side setting current fairways can get narrow in a hurry. It is necessary to maneuver quickly.

The only problem with the Bellingham floats is the need for gussets on each finger. Makes it tight to go stern in, unless you have a lot of excess length..
Same problem here...The blue hull boat in the first photo is 39' so he backs his in. The fingers are 45'.

Attachments

• Entry to Slip.jpg
    Entry to Slip.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Boat in Slip.jpg
    Boat in Slip.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Home.jpg
    Home.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
I was on the advisory committee to rebuild our public marina. Very happy with the choice of Bellingham floats.

I use my gusset to hold my excess shore power cable.

ForumRunner_20150801_183241.jpg

Same problem here...The blue hull boat in the first photo is 39' so he backs his in. The fingers are 45'.

Walt, a finger pier between each slip is a luxury we don't get to enjoy. You don't even have to turn the boat to wash both sides of the hull. Cool.

As Bellingham has done work at over 1200 marinas, it's hard not to have used them somewhere. And, Marina Jack is Bellingham, done in 2005.

Last edited:
Is it any wonder that I think I may be getting vertigo. Go figure. We have changed our minds again at least temporarily. Most everyone on the East Coast of Florida knows that Fort Pierce City Marina has been rebuilding their floating docks destroyed by the hurricane.

The docks were built by Bellingham Marine, and they are indeed first class. Everything about them is nice including in slip pump outs. Well Lou took a look at them, then we started talking.

We discussed the pros and cons of moving to Jacksonville. The pros were shorter driving time, the St. Johns River, and being near my grandson. The cons were colder in winter, 25 miles to the ocean, and long trip to the Bahamas or Cuba.

The cons won out, and "we" decided to stay in Fort Pierce. The new slip is quieter, and away from the tourists. We can't even hear the bands at the Tiki Bar.

One of the cons for Fort Pierce is the tide really rips through the new slips. It's about like docking a Charleston City Marina. When you enter a fairway, you'd better know what you are doing. The side setting currents will push you around quickly. Below a a few photos of Moonstruck in her new slip. The picture of the current around the piling is about half speed of maximum.

Quite a few great reasons for liking Fort Pierce. As to the tide current, there's one advantage to it as well. Less stagnant water and a little slower accumulation of marine growth on your hull. It may only mean going 6 weeks between divers vs. 4 weeks, but that's still a 33% reduction.

To us the climate, the proximity to open water, and the proximity to the Bahamas would be huge pluses.

We thought we were lucky at 4 nm to the ocean and just measured and you're at around 2.5 and your bridge is 65 ft.

Last edited:
Actually fresh water from the ocean promotes heavy marine growth in many areas.

I have seen it with mine and all the USCG boats I was responsible for their maintenance.

Im sure there are exceptions...but fresh ocean water 2x a Dat like FT Piece I believe promotes rapid accumulation of marine growth.

We spent the winter in Florida and where surprised how small the tide and current were, couple of ft and slow compared to Seattle with 8 to 12 ft tides with currents at a fast walk jogging speed. Also how shallow the water which is less than out tide swings.

We night buy another boat down there, 20 foot shallow draft and go fast that we can trailer with the motor home. My wife and I are trying to decide where we might want to move to which is the reason we are moble.

Last edited:
Actually fresh water from the ocean promotes heavy marine growth in many areas.

I have seen it with mine and all the USCG boats I was responsible for their maintenance.

Im sure there are exceptions...but fresh ocean water 2x a Dat like FT Piece I believe promotes rapid accumulation of marine growth.

Well, guess that was wishful thinking on my part. I thought the lack of any movement was worse. Ultimately, I guess it's going to come with the territory here. Ours require divers monthly in the winter and every three weeks in the summer. I don't know how it is in Ft. Pierce.

The bottom of floating docks are a great indicator.....

But where the water is warm...and the conditions decent...boom...

This year in July the water jumped 5 degrees in a week..kaboom....almost clean bottom to forest in 2 weeks. Very similar distance to ocean and current as Ft Pierce.

Yep, current of any flavor encourages bottom growth. Critters stick to the boat and food just goes by on a conveyor.

As Bellingham has done work at over 1200 marinas, it's hard not to have used them somewhere. And, Marina Jack is Bellingham, done in 2005.

I thought it was thanks I think 2005 was phase I

they sure are great docks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom