Wireless radar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xlshrimp

Veteran Member
Whos using this?Review apprecited! Furuno first watch or simrad has one as well, im shopping for a wireless as ive had to admit i just dont have the room for a dedicated traditional 4kw radar. Thanks

Last edited:
Raymarine has a few nice ones too. That is what I plan on doing when I get around to it.

I started a similar thread a few months ago. It didn't get any play. I also contacted our commercial member "Pacific NW Boater" with a few questions, he didn't respond.

I didn't realize that others beside Furuno were making wireless radar. I will follow this thread with interest.

pete

Simply another vote of interest, our radar is likely over 25 years old and went kaput this past summer. Also looking at the Furuno 1st Watch as probable replacement as we mostly navigate using IPads and would like the freedom of a radar display whether we are at the lower helm, upper helm, or wherever onboard.

Whos using this?Review apprecited! Furuno first watch or simrad has one as well, im shopping for a wireless as ive had to admit i just dont have the room for a dedicated traditional 4kw radar. Thanks

A friend installed the Furuno 1st Watch on his trawler and reported that it was pretty much useless. Poor screen resolution and no MARPA. I suppose it is better than no radar but you get what you pay for ;-)

WiFi technology is cool. But, I'm a skeptic and maybe, just perhaps, a little "old school."

I look at the experience today with WiFi issues and disturbances at home and in business locations and I think WHY would I want to introduce any of this risk to one of the most important pieces of safety equipment I have on my boat? This, just to save a bit of installation hassle and cost??? Small wired radome antennas do exist...

I have a Raymarine Quantum wireless radar, connecting to an Axiom 12 MFD. The wireless works very well, and sure made installation easier. The wireless connection was a little flaky at first (May 2018) but after a couple of SW updates in the first year it's been fine.

WiFi technology is cool. But, I'm a skeptic and maybe, just perhaps, a little "old school."

I look at the experience today with WiFi issues and disturbances at home and in business locations and I think WHY would I want to introduce any of this risk to one of the most important pieces of safety equipment I have on my boat? This, just to save a bit of installation hassle and cost??? Small wired radome antennas do exist...

I am with you Scott. Not sure if I would trust wireless yet. I see it as a safety issue and yea, old school wire......

Following.... I almost excusively use tablets/phones for navigation. I feed depth, AIS, and wind via NMEA using WIFI to Aquamaps and Navionics. The only time I turn on the Raymarine MFDs is for radar. It would be nice to get radar wirelessly as well, but I haven't come across anything acceptable yet.

I've been using the Raymarine Quantum doppler radar for the past 18 months. When I did the install I had first planned to run the cable but decided to try the wireless connection before going to that trouble. At first I had a couple of connection glitches on power-up but not for the past year since a couple of software updates. It's rock solid after connecting and I can view and operate it on three different networked Axiom MFDs and also on an iPad via the RayControl app. I would revert back to the cable if it showed any instability but I've seen none so I'm staying wireless.

Thanks all you guys for chiming in with all the models and reports just great info I’ll need to make an informed decision soon

While we have the wired radar with our Raymarine system, I can use the iPads to do anything wirelessly except power off the MFDs. It works very well all around the boat. I have the app on my iPhone but rarely use the iPhone since it is so small compared to the iPad.

I have the Furuno wireless as a back up to the wired main Furuno, the display and functionalities on the wireless are average but good enough for back up

Raymarine

I found there to be too many similar complaints for the wireless radar, similarly for any electronics im sure. I decided to go with a mfd as my Dash area 8snt large or deep.
I recieved reat service and price from independent marine in coombs on an Axiom 9+ package including charts. This unit has alot of tech i may never use to its capabilities but it has impressed me so far. Safe passages

I have a Furuno first watch DRS4W and a Furuno GP1971F plotter that I've had for a year and it works fine. I'm not yet a fan of touch screen control but the radar works as expected.

Furuno DRS4W

You can download the Furuno app for their radar. The app has a demonstration mode, where you can see exactly what the resolution is on your device. You can also experiment with its functions so you know what it will and will not do. This is free and easy.

I am considering it as a backup radar.

I also had a Quantum wireless radar connected to my Axiom (on my Whaler). GREAT setup and worked flawlessly. Also makes it very simple and fast to install.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom