Old 02-13-2021, 03:21 AM   #1

City: Vancouver island
Wireless radar

Whos using this?Review apprecited! Furuno first watch or simrad has one as well, im shopping for a wireless as ive had to admit i just dont have the room for a dedicated traditional 4kw radar. Thanks
Xlshrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 07:31 AM   #2

City: Colonial Beach, VA
Vessel Name: Tatoosh
Vessel Model: 1979 49ft Marine Trader RPH
Raymarine has a few nice ones too. That is what I plan on doing when I get around to it.
Old 02-13-2021, 08:18 AM   #3
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I started a similar thread a few months ago. It didn't get any play. I also contacted our commercial member "Pacific NW Boater" with a few questions, he didn't respond.

I didn't realize that others beside Furuno were making wireless radar. I will follow this thread with interest.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 10:23 AM   #4
CPD

City: Metcalfe
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Heritage East 42
Simply another vote of interest, our radar is likely over 25 years old and went kaput this past summer. Also looking at the Furuno 1st Watch as probable replacement as we mostly navigate using IPads and would like the freedom of a radar display whether we are at the lower helm, upper helm, or wherever onboard.
Old 02-13-2021, 11:24 AM   #5

City: Whidbey Island WA
Vessel Name: Duckin' Out
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlshrimp View Post
Whos using this?Review apprecited! Furuno first watch or simrad has one as well, im shopping for a wireless as ive had to admit i just dont have the room for a dedicated traditional 4kw radar. Thanks

A friend installed the Furuno 1st Watch on his trawler and reported that it was pretty much useless. Poor screen resolution and no MARPA. I suppose it is better than no radar but you get what you pay for ;-)
Willard 40
nwboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 11:30 AM   #6
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
WiFi technology is cool. But, I'm a skeptic and maybe, just perhaps, a little "old school."

I look at the experience today with WiFi issues and disturbances at home and in business locations and I think WHY would I want to introduce any of this risk to one of the most important pieces of safety equipment I have on my boat? This, just to save a bit of installation hassle and cost??? Small wired radome antennas do exist...
Currently in: Gruissan, FRANCE
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 12:59 PM   #7
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
I have a Raymarine Quantum wireless radar, connecting to an Axiom 12 MFD. The wireless works very well, and sure made installation easier. The wireless connection was a little flaky at first (May 2018) but after a couple of SW updates in the first year it's been fine.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 01:28 PM   #8
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
WiFi technology is cool. But, I'm a skeptic and maybe, just perhaps, a little "old school."

I look at the experience today with WiFi issues and disturbances at home and in business locations and I think WHY would I want to introduce any of this risk to one of the most important pieces of safety equipment I have on my boat? This, just to save a bit of installation hassle and cost??? Small wired radome antennas do exist...
I am with you Scott. Not sure if I would trust wireless yet. I see it as a safety issue and yea, old school wire......
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 01:29 PM   #9

City: Sioux Falls
Vessel Name: Positive Latitude
Vessel Model: Mainship 430
Following.... I almost excusively use tablets/phones for navigation. I feed depth, AIS, and wind via NMEA using WIFI to Aquamaps and Navionics. The only time I turn on the Raymarine MFDs is for radar. It would be nice to get radar wirelessly as well, but I haven't come across anything acceptable yet.
mrinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 01:59 PM   #10

City: Oak Island, NC
Vessel Name: Pawseidon
Vessel Model: Navigator 4600
I've been using the Raymarine Quantum doppler radar for the past 18 months. When I did the install I had first planned to run the cable but decided to try the wireless connection before going to that trouble. At first I had a couple of connection glitches on power-up but not for the past year since a couple of software updates. It's rock solid after connecting and I can view and operate it on three different networked Axiom MFDs and also on an iPad via the RayControl app. I would revert back to the cable if it showed any instability but I've seen none so I'm staying wireless.
Woodstock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 05:16 PM   #11

Yes I’ve heard this a few times thanks
Old 02-13-2021, 05:19 PM   #12

Thanks all you guys for chiming in with all the models and reports just great info I’ll need to make an informed decision soon
Old 02-13-2021, 06:58 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
While we have the wired radar with our Raymarine system, I can use the iPads to do anything wirelessly except power off the MFDs. It works very well all around the boat. I have the app on my iPhone but rarely use the iPhone since it is so small compared to the iPad.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 07:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Phuket
Vessel Name: TeoraTera
Vessel Model: Selene 80
I have the Furuno wireless as a back up to the wired main Furuno, the display and functionalities on the wireless are average but good enough for back up
CaptainSEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:15 PM   #15

Raymarine

I found there to be too many similar complaints for the wireless radar, similarly for any electronics im sure. I decided to go with a mfd as my Dash area 8snt large or deep.
I recieved reat service and price from independent marine in coombs on an Axiom 9+ package including charts. This unit has alot of tech i may never use to its capabilities but it has impressed me so far. Safe passages
Old 07-22-2021, 01:13 PM   #16
Guru

City: Rockport
Vessel Name: Ana
I have a Furuno first watch DRS4W and a Furuno GP1971F plotter that I've had for a year and it works fine. I'm not yet a fan of touch screen control but the radar works as expected.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:51 PM   #17
Guru

City: Sequim, WA, USA
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Furuno DRS4W

You can download the Furuno app for their radar. The app has a demonstration mode, where you can see exactly what the resolution is on your device. You can also experiment with its functions so you know what it will and will not do. This is free and easy.

I am considering it as a backup radar.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:28 PM   #18

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Model: Hatteras 58LRC
I also had a Quantum wireless radar connected to my Axiom (on my Whaler). GREAT setup and worked flawlessly. Also makes it very simple and fast to install.
zigzag930 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar, wireless