Wiper blades not touching glass.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindaFlorida

Veteran Member
Hello, we own a 2009 Mainship. Unfortunately the existing wipers are not touching the glass. I’m not sure if the existing Pantographic Wiper Arms are adjustable for tension against the glass. It does not look like it.

Also the existing wiper blades are only 16”. After looking up the correct size on this site, looks like they are supposed to be 22”?

Has anyone been able to make the tension against the glass tighter?

Thank you,
LindaFlorida is online now Report Post

Linda I had similar trouble when I bought my 1975 CHB 34. I found it easy enough to buy a few springs that were close enough to the ones on the wipers to fit, but added the desired tension. I forget what the springs were for - not wipers for sure - and I had to buy a pack of about 5 from memory. I think I still have 3 spares rattling round in my tool box, even though the boat is long gone now.

If you were in the Dunedin I used to live in, NZ South Island, I'd offer to send them to you. but as you're in that other Dunedin in the US, probably not worth it. But any decent hardware store would have them. :)

PS. I suggest you try to get the longer blades to fit while you're at it...you'll definitely need good tension to hold those to the glass.

Another thought??? Check that the extendable arm is not totally jammed into the hinge at the top end mechanism for the arm. If it is, the arm cannot fall into place.

I got caught on this some years ago. It only needed a slight pull after releasing the latch to get the upper end of the arm out of interference with the hinge.

Our AM Equipment pantographic wipers would accumulate salty corrosion in the hinge at the top, limiting their ability to stay pressed against the glass. Once or twice a year, working the hinge back and forth, rinsing with fresh water, and then a bit of WD40, generally took care of the problem. This would work for 4-5 years, until they got too worn out and had to be replaced.

Problem was resolved, after moving the hinges back and forth the blades are now pressed against the glass. I now need to clean and oil the hinge and springs as noted above. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom