Old 11-02-2010, 07:09 AM   #1

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Trawler
Wintering in the water

So Ive been a liveaboard for 1 year now on the genesee river off lake Ontario. My first winter I built a metal frame using the kover klamps system but had shrinkwrap over it because I wasn't able to get the clear plastic tight enough to withstand the high winds we sometimes get off the lake. I installed a oil fired*boiler, same as a house would have which keeps the boat nice and warm. I never really thought a whole lot about snow load as the snow generally slid off the shrink wrap. My reason for building the tall metal frame and wrapping the boat was to remove the teak decks over the winter which I completed by spring. Now that the decks and windows are watertight and winter is almost here I come with the decision to wrap the boat... my thoughts were that last winter due to the deck job that would be the one and only winter I wrap the boat. that this year I would use clear plastic on the inside of the windows to stop any drafts. I have a few through hulls right above the water line on my boat (about 1" above) for sink drains, bilge pump outlets, sump pump outlets. All of which are froze open. there all bronze. So now im thinking without the shrink wrap the "shed" the snow I will have some snow buildup and possibly put a load on deck which could cause the through hulls above the waterline to go underwater and cause a problem while im at work. Id rather not shrinkwrap because its a cost I don't want. Also I dont like living in a bubble (last winter was white wrap)

rochester ny gets an avg of 95 inches of snowfall throughout the winter.

avg temps are 38 degrees*for the year but with winter temps average around 16 degrees.

obv the boat has no insulation and the walls usually measure about 10 degrees colder then the room temperature. how do I figure the R value of the boat on those numbers?

Im sure wraping the boat helps keep the cost of heating down but is it worth the money? I know I can do it myself but last November I had the local guys do it and they slammed me for $950. ouch I know but its the only boat in the water they did.

Id like to insulate*the boat but it would ruin the interior.. so I guess its just part of living aboard!

as for the though hulls, my plan is to haul the boat next spring, do a bottom job and replace them all when out of the water, I could haul now and replace them but im working with cold temps already and wouldnt be cost productive to haul twice.

any opinions you can share if you have or do liveaboard in a cold climate would be appreciated. My biggest fear obv is the boat sinking from snow load. I really didn't put a whole lot of thought into it last winter and got lucky i guess.
albin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:27 AM   #2
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
RE: Wintering in the water

Here in Alaska Where I live. Last year We received 268" of snow.
It will sink a boat for sure.**Be sure to get one of those all plastic grain or snow shovels.
No metal edges.

I winter in the water every year. Salt water freezes at about 28 Deg.
My opinion is that the water in the boat doesn't seem to freeze below the waterline.

SD*
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:38 AM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Hiya,
Mr. albin43. I understand your concern but I think shrink wrapping is still your best bet. No concerns about snow load (as you mentioned) and easier to heat. I think the "R" value of your hull is probably close to 0. If you can do the job youself you will indeed save $$ and after wrapping you may be able to cut out "windows" and tape in clear plastic.
Let us know how it goes.
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:17 AM   #4
Guru

Yes I would also stay with the shrink wrap.
BTW I bought my*40 Albin*on the Genesee River in late 05 and it spent winter 05/06 in a boatyard there. Viking was the name I think. Here's a pic I'm in the background somwhere.
Attached Thumbnails
attitudes winter home05-06.jpg  
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:32 AM   #5

Wintering in the water

yea jlenord, i winter right off the bow of the harbor town belle..
its voyager marina

im really leaning twords not shrink wrapping the boat, i know its not the best idea for heat and the boat but probably the best for my sanity

this is last spring

-- Edited by albin43 on Tuesday 2nd of November 2010 09:32:55 AM
Old 11-02-2010, 08:41 AM   #6
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

I think I would heat shrink it too. It must have been uncomfortable enough sleeping on one of those hard seats but doing it under a layer of fresh snow really is going too far.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:08 AM   #7

good one rickB
Old 11-02-2010, 09:39 AM   #8
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

We winter in the water in the Seattle area.* Being I ma cheap I use blue tarts, supported by 2 PBC plastic piper that is ducted tapped together and held down by bundy cores which are fastened to the hull with cup hoods which we have used for Christmas decorations also.* You an buy zippers for the enterance, and I duct tape clear plastic for windows so we can see out.* All of you canvas is 90% clear plastic.* So the whole thing shake rattles and rolls in the wind.* I use Tarp Grabbers which grip the traps very well as not one has failed.* I can get 2 to 3 years out of the traps which cost maybe 100 bucks in total.* This week end I put up the last years front deck tarp that took about 2 hours.* During Christmas and it we want to go out I can take down and up the tarp and frame work in about 1 hour.* The dark blue tarps do hold in the heat quite well especially on cold sunny days.* I also put Plex a glass over the windows to hold in the heat and cuts down the drafts which work quite well also.* ****The boat is about 90% covered with 3 separate tarps, except with the mast is.

When it does snow I get up every couple of hours and bang the snow off the tarps and canvas as some of the snow freezes to the tarp and does not slide off.* Takes*a couple on minutes but I have to get up to go the the bathroom*about 3:00 most morning anyway.* )-;*
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #9
Enigma

Hiya,
** Blue TARTS...hahahaha.* Is that instead of the regular pink tarts (working girls)?
Old 11-02-2010, 10:04 AM   #10
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

Hey, if they come in Pink I would probable use them.* Just look for the pink covered boat.* (-;***Would match my pink bunny slippers!**

They make some white ones that are thicker/heavier*and most expensive but the blue tends to absorb the sun light better.* Most cold winter days even when freezing*its warm under the tarps.*They also block/keep the cold wind rain off the boat and cut the drafts.*

I have thought about painting the Eagle a pearl pink/blue hue white that you see on some cars.* Sort of looks like when the water reflect of the boat.*
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:16 AM   #11
Scraping Paint

Quote:
RT Firefly wrote:Blue TARTS...hahahaha.* Is that instead of the regular pink tarts ...?
If you dressed like a tart in Seattle in the Winter you would turn blue too.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #12
FF
Guru

Biggest advantage to a frame and shrink wrap job is the many layers of clothes , yours and guests can be left outside .

Does increase space for "stuff" out of the weather.

Downside is the boat would be dead in the water , a marina fire might get your boat .

We used bathroom carpeting inside as insulation (fair ) but doesn't unravel , and can be easily machine washed a couple of times in the winter.

Solid glass hull is a really hard thing to stay warm inside , just grin and bear it and burn an extra gallon or two a day.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #13
Enigma

Hiya,
** Mr. albin43.* Just thought of something else.* While putting plastic on the inside of the widows will stop THOSE drafts, there are probably dozens of other little nooks and crannies where the wind can whistle-in.* While the "tent" won't stop air infusion from said nooks and crannies, it should stop the whistling-in aspect.
* Or you could always hire a blue tart to keep you warm.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #14
Scraping Paint

Quote:
RT Firefly wrote:Or you could always hire a blue tart to keep you warm.
If she was any good at all she would turn pink. She would also chase the blues away and if the Winter was long enought might even become a sweet tart.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:50 AM   #15

Wintering in the water

i dont think theres other areas for wind to whistle in or I would have leaks in those areas. not into the blue tarts or tarps.. as cheesey as this may sound Id like to have*the boat still look nice over the winter, i hate seeing sheds and tents and all sorts of garbage built onto boat for the winter.

-- Edited by albin43 on Tuesday 2nd of November 2010 12:52:27 PM
Old 11-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #16
Guru

Just make sure you are available to shovel off the snow load. And have a back up you can call in case something happens physically, like the flu, pulled back muscle, etc.
Those are additional reasons to consider the exterior cover.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:24 PM   #17
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Wintering in the water

The shrink wrap is good as long as the boat has been thoroughly "pickled". A good shrink wrap will have vents that will probably lower the humidity in ones boat. We had Willy shrink wrapped one year (down south) for $500 and it worked well but have kept it in the water since. We shoveled the boat AND the floats to insure they stayed floating about 3 years ago. See pic. The effect of the "warm" water on the hull is surprising even when it's ice. It dosn't take much (heat) to keep my boat from freezing especially when it's covered w snow on top and water underneath.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Tuesday 2nd of November 2010 04:34:04 PM
Attached Thumbnails
all to 12-15-09 327.jpg  
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:29 AM   #18
FF
Guru

"We shoveled the boat "

Shoveling is a generic term usually a very stiff broom is the tool of choice for the least effort and hassles.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:10 AM   #19
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

FF,
I feel I should do a Rick B on you Fred. You CAN"T move this wet snow*** ....with a broom!* No way no how.* All the snow in the aft cockpit must come out of (what amounts to)*** ..* a hole. Could'nt even do that w dry powdery snow. You've been in Florida too long.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:35 PM   #20
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Wintering in the water

I was going to say the same thing.

Try sweeping a couple of feet of snow. Se how far you get.

I think that it's Just me and you Eric.
Few places get snow like costal Alaska.
I've seen 4 ft fall overnight. It took an hour's shoveling just to get on the boat.
let alone getting the wet heavy stuff off the boat.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 3rd of November 2010 02:37:17 PM
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote