Old 10-19-2020, 04:51 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Tidings of Joy
Vessel Model: DeFever 52 Euro
Thank you all for the great responses. I appreciate all of your knowledge and advice.
Jdornick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:54 PM   #22
Veteran Member

The trip was difficult and took lots of planning and coordination of winds, weather and bar crossing. We stopped every night at either a marina or anchorage. Lots of people take this trip every year it’s just a matter of personal comfort level and experience. I’m happy to answer any specific questions or offer any advice that I can.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:55 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmatics View Post
I am told that making the SD to PNW would be too dangerous in my OA 423.
How did you do on your trip?
The trip was difficult and took lots of planning and coordination of winds, weather and bar crossing. We stopped every night at either a marina or anchorage. Lots of people take this trip every year it’s just a matter of personal comfort level and experience. I’m happy to answer any specific questions or offer any advice that I can.
Old 10-23-2020, 01:36 PM   #24

City: Seattle
Winter boating in the PNW is great.
Ensure to fill your water tank today....most marina will shut off their water tomorrow, Sunday night low is 30°.
Ruffryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:50 PM   #25
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Snowed today here
Old 10-23-2020, 03:43 PM   #26

City: Seattle, WA
Depending on where you are, prepare for winds. Snubbers or shockles if you can or perhaps add an extra line or two, and check the condition of what you've got. If your tender's in the water make it fast too. It's not unusual to lose power during a windstorm so assume your marina will lose power at least once (and if it doesn't, celebrate!)

Also you'll probably want to consider how to keep your engine room warm on days when you're not aboard or if it's predicted to be cold. We have marine heaters set to come on below 38F while we're not aboard, but we don't put one in the engine room b/c I worry about combustibles. Your vessel's bigger than ours so maybe you have a shelf or someplace safe if you consider that.

Echo all the other advice about canvas, etc. Also have tarps handy.

Days here get short, dark and gloomy in the winter. Be sure you've got light bulbs!

And if you haven't noticed, there's a lot more junk in the water. This past week a deadhead probably 1.5-2 feet in diameter and at least 8 feet long made its way into someone's slip.

Lastly - where we moor (Port of Everett) if there is ice on the water, boating is verboten. Last year there were a couple of days when there was actually ice. You might want to check the rules where you are.
debbiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:10 PM   #27
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Moisture inside the boat (or an RV) can be a big problem. Air exchanges are good, but then you must heat the incoming air. A small amount of new air coupled with a dehumidifier would be my recommendation. Keep cupboards and drawers open to allow for circulation. To keep an engine room warm and dry, install a Wolverine oil pan heater. Only 250 watts and can keep the engine nice and warm making for easier and cleaner cold starts, cuts down on moisture and rust, and overall warms the ER. Leave it on 24/7 all winter for best results. The suggestions about outside showers and faucets is a good one. I had a shower head crack from freezing over one winter.
Edit: Forgot to add to watch out for moisture accumulation accompanied by mould growth under the mattress. Put the air flow type of pad/material under the mattress to get it up off of the wooden base. Also, turn the mattress frequently and "prop it up" regularly to allow it to dry with increased air flow.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:25 PM   #28

City: Petaluma
Vessel Name: Pelican
Vessel Model: Bruckmann 50
If not living aboard PNW

I am in a similar situation in Blaine - but not living aboard. So in a freeze event with power outage of long duration I won't have the ability to turn on the engine and the diesel heater aboard. I have winterized the reverse cycle heat/ac units. I have emptied the VacuuFlush and put antifreeze. I will do same with fresh water system....question is what about the engine?
Stonechamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:40 PM   #29
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
A valid concern on power outages and loss of shore power. But historically and even with lots of strong wind during the winter, power outages of any duration are rare in Blaine and the rest of western Whatcom county. Credit the local power company for keeping trees trimmed back from the power lines, which used to be the primary cause of major power outages in the 1970's and '80's.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:27 PM   #30

City: Petaluma
Vessel Name: Pelican
Vessel Model: Bruckmann 50
To winterize the engine or not to!

That is the question! I live 15 hour drive away So it won't be plausible to jump down to the boat and run the engine during a prolonged cold snap. I am leaning towards winterizing it along with all the other systems...mostly on the principle that it can't really hurt and it might help?
Stonechamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:27 PM   #31
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
In our neck of the woods, I live just a short 1/2 hour drive above Nanaimo, you don't need to obsess to much about winterizing, especially if you are a live aboard. But air circulation is important.

I have a low powered heater in my engine compartment, set to come on at 35 F (and whatever C that works out to). And I have a very small 270 watt heater I use in my head to dry clothes out with during my live aboard times, usually short at a week or so. But I will leave that little heater on with a fan blowing into my bilge during the coldest times.

I was just came home a day ago from Comox where my boat is. The docks were very slippery at 7:00 in the morning, by 9:00 AM they were fine. I have a box next to my boat permanently mounted with a carpeted top. I could see my self taking a header or worse if that carpet freezes, which it will, so I just went out and bought some salt for this small platform.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 12:11 AM   #32

City: Kenmore
Vessel Name: Snapdragon
Vessel Model: Custom 56' Skookum trawler
I strongly agree with previous comments to get a good dehumidifier, and be careful of icy docks. I was 20 years old when I was living aboard in the PNW and jumped/stepped from my boat to the dock on a frosty morning and took a nasty fall. 24 years later my back has never been the same.
Snapdragon III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:09 AM   #33
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
It is often tempting to exit the boat by jumping/stepping face forward. In my opinion, except when the drop is minimal and not wet, we have a rule. Use the ladder facing the boat. One then has complete control. Face forward invites face plants to borrow a snow skiing expression. Not fun. When we have have guests I require them to use the ladder facing the boat. Almost invariably, they want to do it the "wrong way".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapdragon III View Post
I strongly agree with previous comments to get a good dehumidifier, and be careful of icy docks. I was 20 years old when I was living aboard in the PNW and jumped/stepped from my boat to the dock on a frosty morning and took a nasty fall. 24 years later my back has never been the same.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:30 AM   #34
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
Dehumidifier

I run a dehumidifier using the meter on the dehumidifier, set at 55, several fans to help circulate the air salon and lower staterooms. I also run a dehumidifier in the ER. Hydronic heat is located in the ER so it never gets too cold. Heat is left at 45 lowest setting. When the temps really get low, cover the ER vents. Last year the dehumidifier was left out in the salon. However this year I may set it in the sink to allow draining directly overboard. Last year it gave me the excuse to visit every couple of days and check on the boat, I am only 15 minutes away. However, this year I'll be about 1.5 hrs away.
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 12:03 PM   #35
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
Use the ladder facing the boat. One then has complete control. Face forward invites face plants to borrow a snow skiing expression. Not fun. When we have have guests I require them to use the ladder facing the boat. Almost invariably, they want to do it the "wrong way".

This is good advice, though my platform is not a ladder, there is more control stepping down backwards with something to grab onto in case of a fall.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote