Winter Temps going South on ICW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seevee

Guru
Vessel Make
430 Mainship
All,

How far south would one have to go where the water temps would be above freezing on the ICW.

Suspect that Charleston would be well above for the most part and even Virginia would work.

And, if one got his boat to one of the above points, how miserable would "winter" travel be heading south.

Understand it's a bit of a crap shoot once in Dec, with some great days and some miserable 20d days, but if one could just watch the temps, bet it wouldn't be too bad in the winter months.... thoughts?

I lived in Oriental, NC for several years which is right off of the ICW. The creeks nearby sometimes froze but never the ICW.

I also lived in Annapolis, Md for several years. The ICW stops in Norfolk, but the big rivers like the Severn near Annapolis sometimes froze. Also during that period I was aware of harbors further south down to Norfolk, and my impression is that Norfolk harbors never froze.

So my view is that the ICW from Norfolk south will always be open, it will never be frozen.

But your heat pump may stop working in really cold, but liquid waters. That happened in Oriental. So another source of heat would be essential.

You mention December. The harbors froze and the heat pump stopped working, but never in December. I would consider taking a boat south from Norfolk in December, but would not do so in February. Charleston would be ok even in February. I kept a boat a bit south of there in Hilton Head and we could find nice days to go out in February with highs in the 60.

Check Weatherspark.com for temperature profiles for various locations.

David

My parents have been in Murrells Inlet, SC (Just north of Charleston, just south of Myrtle Beach). There is no water bodies freezing, though they do (rarely) get ice storms.

I went from Little Creek in Norfolk down to S. Carolina in January 2014 before heading out across the Stream to the Bahamas. While prepping the boat in Norfolk, the harbor froze over several times, though the ice was thinnish. Twice I shoveled two feet of snow off the deck. We went south through the Sounds, driving the boat in 28 deg and heavy snow on two days. This was in the sailboat, open cockpit, with autopilot broken - the reason for the ICW rather that just take off east around Hatteras. When we arrived in the Hatteras area everything was closed due to snow, I've got pictures of the wife in snowdrifts on the beach in front of Kill Devil Hills (the National park was closed due to snow). Again had to shovel 2' of snow from the deck in Mateo. Finally got the autopilot fixed and headed east out of S.C. Sea water temp went from 36 to 82 degrees in 12 hours, then settled at about 72 to the east of the Gulf Stream. From then on I was too hot.

I was told that was an unusual, record setting cold snap, so maybe as bad as it gets. Would have been much more pleasant in the PH of the trawler, but you'd want a good heater. Surprisingly, I was able to buy ski mittens in a fishing gear shop in Nags Head, apparently the fisherman use them for some reason.

I've seen ice on the waterway from South of the Great Bridge locks MP12 to the headwaters of North Landing River around Pungo. The combination of fresh & protected water will allow for a good sheet of skim ice to form overnight if it's cold enough and no tugs are transiting the area.

Thx for the replies.....
I don't have the experience going south in the fall, so I appreciate the info.

Looks like it's pretty doable, if one watches the temps and gets into the Carolinas or south.

Rule of thumb for the snowbirders I hang with is be south of Norfolk by 1 Nov for a reasonable ride.

For years I left New Jersey in early December and had good and miserable weather tillage Norfolk. But even in December the weather south of Norfolk was never real bad, but did get freezing nights all the way down into Florida north of Canaveral.

I got a diesel heater for nights and bus heater for daytime travel....so traveling was good no matter the temp...but it starts getting pretty blustery after November and quickly works south as the cold fronts get stronger.

I lived in Oriental, NC for several years which is right off of the ICW. The creeks nearby sometimes froze but never the ICW.

I also lived in Annapolis, Md for several years. The ICW stops in Norfolk, but the big rivers like the Severn near Annapolis sometimes froze. Also during that period I was aware of harbors further south down to Norfolk, and my impression is that Norfolk harbors never froze.

So my view is that the ICW from Norfolk south will always be open, it will never be frozen.

But your heat pump may stop working in really cold, but liquid waters. That happened in Oriental. So another source of heat would be essential.

You mention December. The harbors froze and the heat pump stopped working, but never in December. I would consider taking a boat south from Norfolk in December, but would not do so in February. Charleston would be ok even in February. I kept a boat a bit south of there in Hilton Head and we could find nice days to go out in February with highs in the 60.

Check Weatherspark.com for temperature profiles for various locations.

David
We spent last winter aboard in Galesville, MD which is about 10 miles south of Annapolis. The lowest water temp we saw was 38 degrees in mid-January. We had reverse cycle heat in both units all winter except for two weeks in January. One unit quit at 40 degrees. The other put out heat at 30 degrees above room temp all winter long. That means when the room temp was 60 degrees the output temp was 90 degrees. We have spent three other winters in Galesville. Occasionally, the quiet parts of the marina freeze over but not very thick. The fact to remember is that even if there is surface ice, the water below is somewhat above freezing. We haven't seen anything more than minor surface ice in four years.

Regardless of the outside temp, we always turn off the heat overnight. The room temp ordinarily gets down to 48-50 degrees. We like it like that, sleeping under a thick down comforter. In the morning it takes about 1.5 hours to get the room temp back to 70 degrees. This winter we will be wintering on Kent Island, MD. Not a big deal at all.

Winter in Norfolk

Lowest water temps in late Jan-early Feb normally. Have had to winterize exposed areas as early as Thanksgiving, everything by early January. Usually have about two weeks where overnight lows are high 20's. Have seen 10's a few times. Liveaboards don't seem to have an issue though, with a heated cabin.

All,

How far south would one have to go where the water temps would be above freezing on the ICW?

Any tidal water (estuaries) will not freeze - though fresh water rivers may with severe weather. Deltaville is roughly the cut off point where boats are routinely hauled fior the winter.

The practical issue is that marinas N of the Carolinas usually shut off their fresh water to the docks for the winter, even if they have fuel available.

Safe travels

The things you find when you're reading this forum. I have never heard of a "bus heater".

Why do you have a diesel heater as well as a "bus heater"? What are you using for your diesel heater and how about some details on your "bus heater"

Thanks,

Bruce

I got a diesel heater for nights and bus heater for daytime travel....so traveling was good no matter the temp...but it starts getting pretty blustery after November and quickly works south as the cold fronts get stronger.

The things you find when you're reading this forum. I have never heard of a "bus heater".

Why do you have a diesel heater as well as a "bus heater"?

The "bus" heater runs off a coolant loop from the engine (same type of setup as an engine heated water heater). So while the engine is running it's "free" heat. Also they are quite a bit less expensive than your typical full diesel heater setup. Of course they don't fulfill the same missions.

Red Dot is one brand; Heatercraft another -- and I believe Dickinson makes them also.

Any tidal water (estuaries) will not freeze - though fresh water rivers may with severe weather. Deltaville is roughly the cut off point where boats are routinely hauled fior the winter.

The practical issue is that marinas N of the Carolinas usually shut off their fresh water to the docks for the winter, even if they have fuel available.

Safe travels
As I mentioned earlier, we live aboard all winter near Annapolis. My observation is that about half of boats of sizes 36 feet or longer, maybe a bit more, stay in the water as opposed to going on the hard. Over 40 feet and the percentage goes up. Yes, for live aboards, water becomes a problem. The marinas here generally shut off dock water around 11/15, back on around 3/15. We must run a hose to a more distant all-weather spigot to fill our tanks, about every three weeks for us. Annoying but not really a big deal. Our tanks hold 300 gallons.

We were just inside the mouth of the South River, and the harbor freezes from time to time. We ran a de-icer. Sometimes had to shovel snow out of the cockpit. Boat was always fully winterized, though.

We just moved to Galesville, expecting same conditions.

In 2017 we took the previous boat to Charleston, with a mid-trip December stopover at Osprey Marina (south of Myrtle Beach). Water didn't freeze there (at least, that winter), although when we resumed travel in mid Jan it was 22°F as we left. The "greenhouse" bridge on a sunny day made that OK for travel, at least for a few more days.

-Chris

Salt water rarely freezes, but the Chesapeake Bay has actually frozen over a few times in the pas couple hundred years. That would have been in the Annapolis area and further north.

Travelling on a boat in the winter will not be fun, but at the same time, the Chesapeake Bay watermen go out all winter harvesting oysters. They dress for it and it's not an option, it's their livelihood.

The water in Charleston, SC doesn't freeze, but the air temperature can get below freezing in the winter. You would be well advised to winterize a boat left out of the water in Charleston, but one kept in the water would be fine. Friends who dry stack their boats have them launched and put in a slip on the coldest nights.

If you don't mind a little searching on the Internet, you can find the historical and average temperatures for just about any city in the world. Maybe that would help to answer your questions.

If you are going to operate in cold weather the hassle is its really cold some mornings and warms up during the day.

The simplest solution I have found is a "ski do" suit. Nice and warm yanking the anchors in the AM and the leg and body long zippers allow the body temp to be regulated. The usual anchor mud washes off in a good sized washing machine every so often.

Thankfully the old winter hassle , waking up bridge tenders , is now solved with a cell phone. Used to take a 12Ga. Black Powder Blank from our saluting cannon..

Enjoy the winter , cruising is great when there is no gaggle.

Last edited:
I'm in Edenton NC, been here two years and haven't seen any ice yet. I have one boat on a trailer, I winterize it, but nobody winterizes boats in the water around here. Just not necessary.

Out of curiosity, under normal conditions, how far south would one have to go to avoid the need to winterize a boat? I'm hoping to make the trip south this fall, but can't find a marina in FL where I want to spend 4 months.

Under normal conditions, south of Norfolk should be fine. South of Morehead City even better.

Just keep in mind having emergency plans for that once every 20 years situation. Remember the entire state of Texas was shut down last winter, from the power grid to the water pipes.

Wilmington NC hit 0 F on January 17, 2020.

I remember all the boaters who didn't winterize on the lake in NC and the very rare years that hit and many had freezing. In fact there was the one year that dozens of condos in a relatively new waterfront development had destructive freezing. That's when they all discovered that during construction there were timing issues and they ended up with everything completed including insulation and plumbing. Only problem was the pipes were all outside the insulation so not only not protected but insulated from the heat in the condo.

Those kinds of conditions have occurred here on rare occasions. The main problem for boaters were that seacocks were left open, and when things thawed out, boats sank due to ruptured hoses inboard of the seacocks.

Our rule of thumb in NJ saltwater for our commercial boats was 3 consecutive days of below freezing Temps during the day (not just dips at night). No action required on 26 foot inboards.

My personal liveaboard experience, fresh water tanks and lines above the waterline on unheated boats.....if one day the Temps never came above freezing....winterize.

Our rule of thumb in NJ saltwater for our commercial boats was 3 consecutive days of below freezing Temps during the day (not just dips at night). No action required on 26 foot inboards.

My personal liveaboard experience, fresh water tanks and lines above the waterline on unheated boats.....if one day the Temps never came above freezing....winterize.

I actually grew up with your 3 day rule as well and it was rare we fell below that. However, that assumed nightly dips in the 20's perhaps. One night dropping into low single digits will cause a lot of damage. Not every boat, but maybe one in every five or even ten. Sort of like Russian Roulette.

Air temp, duration, water temp, wind/vessel ability to maintain internal temp, location of prone to freezing items......are all important factors.

Often forgotten items on winterizing lists, but almost always prone to freezing quickly are cockpit showers and sinks.

Last edited:
Freezingwater

All,

How far south would one have to go where the water temps would be above freezing on the ICW.

Suspect that Charleston would be well above for the most part and even Virginia would work.

And, if one got his boat to one of the above points, how miserable would "winter" travel be heading south.

Understand it's a bit of a crap shoot once in Dec, with some great days and some miserable 20d days, but if one could just watch the temps, bet it wouldn't be too bad in the winter months.... thoughts?

Jacksonville, NC would be a good place to start, barring an unseasonably cold winter. If you want a guarantee, Jacksonville, Fl or South.

I'd say you need to be in SC if it's a concern. We have lived near Oriental for the past 10 years and have seen the creeks freeze and become impassable. We've also seen cherry trees blooming in New Bern on New Year's Eve. You just never know which it'll be. While the ICW itself might freeze, the water may be turned off in marinas due to very cold temperatures. Further south than mid-NC will be safer.

Thanks for all the great info!

Often forgotten items on winterizing lists, but almost always prone to freezing quickly are cockpit showers and sinks.

Yup. Adding a shut off and drain for the water line to the sink and icemaker on deck is on my to-do list, as that and the anchor washdown are the most susceptible to freezing on a cold night early or late in the season, even with the heat on.

Out of curiosity, under normal conditions, how far south would one have to go to avoid the need to winterize a boat? I'm hoping to make the trip south this fall, but can't find a marina in FL where I want to spend 4 months.

If the boat stays in the water and the water doesn't freeze, you are OK. If the boat is out of the water (trailer or dry stack). you need to winterize even as far south as Charleston, SC.

You can install bilge heaters but you run the risk of losing electrical power and damage to the boat.

Back
Top Bottom