Winter Discussions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is a tough one n reality. How attached are you to your bow thruster? There are Nordie owners and then there are Nordie owners. If you are the latter, it could be anything starting with a dehaviland beaver. Oh, I think you have something classic tucked away, but not something bought, something built.

What was your first car?

This is great. Just like "Stump The Chump" on Click and Klack. (we miss you , Tom)

OK, here are your clues:

I've wailed on the thrusters a few times while getting a feel for how the boat handles. But I'm generally pretty light on them.

First car as a licensed driver was a '67 MGB-GT. Owned three others before that, but driving was restricted to farm fields. None of them were amphibious.

OK, your turn.

And me?

Yes, I thought this thread was going to be more interesting because YOU were going to tell us all.

Nissan Xterra. But as the one guy who crossed the pond the answer should be nothing.

This is great. Just like "Stump The Chump" on Click and Klack. (we miss you , Tom)

OK, here are your clues:

I've wailed on the thrusters a few times while getting a feel for how the boat handles. But I'm generally pretty light on them.

First car as a licensed driver was a '67 MGB-GT. Owned three others before that, but driving was restricted to farm fields. None of them were amphibious.

OK, your turn.

Okay, that would put you into a BMW suv instead of the Rover. A little bird says your build car is a tan Volvo, but honestly I would not have guessed it.

A Mini, or some other form of clown car? And it has a big KaaZoooGaa horn?

I was waiting on his boat, but I was already narrowing in on the British car and Mini was at the top of the list. Nobody owns MGs of course, they sell them.

OK what do I drive? I'll give you a hint . It's pretty boring .

So....This Nordic Tug owner drives a Honda Accord Coupe with all the goodies. (Much better than my previous Mercedes E550 4matic.)

Hondas were great cars. Wish I could get our old twin carb mid 80s Prelude back. I just didn't know anybody still drove them. So your the one.

Okay, that would put you into a BMW suv instead of the Rover. A little bird says your build car is a tan Volvo, but honestly I would not have guessed it.

Crap, I forgot that I linked to the Volvo on my boat blog :facepalm:

Anyway, you are pretty close, and I would say have a calling in stand-up comedy with this. I'm laughing at every post.

So the answer is.....

Yes, a BMW, but not an SUV. a 550XI. The all wheel drive is a must for Mass and Vermont. I owned a 1600 and a 2002 way back when, but have avoided BMWs since because I hate the image they convey. But after a disastrous Audi experience, I sucked it up and tried the 550, and have to say it is far and beyond my favorite car owned so far. Comfort plus non-stop grins.

The volvo (a '71 142E) is a restoration of a nearly extinct and forgotten model that pretty much put Volvo on the map in the US. It's dull as nails, but was really advanced in it's time. I owned one through college and into my work years, so it's always been near and dear to me heart.

I also have two old Mercedes that I'm slowly restoring, with emphasis on "slowly". One is a '64 230SL, and the other a '70 280SL. I always loved them in my younger years, but they were WAY out of reach for me. Can you imagine a car that cost $9000 in 1964? Yikes. I used to have 4 of them, bought as a package deal, but sold two.

Then there is the Truck - a GMC diesel for all sorts of utility work.

I'll take a shot at RTF. 1950 Stude.

Attachments

• RTF Stude.jpg
    RTF Stude.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 72
peel-p50-e-trident_1.jpg

This is my guess for RTF

I'll take a shot at RTF. 1950 Stude.

Before we go knocking Studebakers, here's something I learned at the Lemay Family Car Collection we visited last weekend (there are some photos of the museum in the Off-Topic section of the forum).

Studebaker has been in business a lot longer than we all think. Did you know that their first product was wagons? Covered wagons. Roughly half of the so-called Conestoga wagons that were the transportation of choice for settlers pushing west across the US in the mid-1800s were Studebakers.

And the company is still in business today, although they are not building vehicles. I believe our tour guide said they are a equipment leasing company of some sort.

Yeah, and I love 'em,...Stude's that is. Miss my Avanti (well, Avanti II).. Even once had a semi-tractor with air brakes and a 471, but never a Rocketship.

Excellent thread ghost! Now we are really finding out about each other.

So what about you? Unless I've missed it, we haven't heard you divulge anything about yourself.

Pack Mule, 59 Peugeot 403 Cabriolet. Ghost, 60 Caddy Pickup.

Attachments

• 1959peugeot.jpg
    1959peugeot.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 55
  • caddy pickup.jpg
    caddy pickup.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 66
Pack Mule, 59 Peugeot 403 Cabriolet. Ghost, 60 Caddy Pickup.
Larry I wish I had one of those classics . I must be in the tug cattigory with a Subaru Outback and an old Nissan Frontier pick up .

Who is the lucky guy who has a Renault Dauphine?:peace:

Had a 1958, it taught me the value of great handling tires (michelen) and was the first car I had that would get over 50mpg at normal highway speeds.

Liked it so much I bought a 54 Porsche Normal which drove great , but was far too slow.

A Thomas Corvair 4 carb replacement did the trick.

Went from 67 in the quarter to 92 , lots more fun !

I drive a 2001 raised 3/4 ton diesel dodge pick up and my wife a 2003 land rover. Presently driving our fleetwood motor home pulling the land rover. Being a live aboard we are very comfortable with the boat or motor home.

When I'm not cruising in my 36' Marine Trader, im cruising in my Cobra.

img_295786_0_b2bbe6e648d540989e9ddc5068748868.png

Arch

Who is the lucky guy who has a Renault Dauphine?:peace:
I drove one belonging to my brother in law, they drove it Sydney to Perth, near 2500 miles by road. Performance was timed with calendar rather than stopwatch.
Anyone remember the Gordini version?

When I'm not cruising in my 36' Marine Trader, im cruising in my Cobra.

img_295817_0_b2bbe6e648d540989e9ddc5068748868.png

Arch

I don't know how to spell the sound I made when I saw this. This image makes me... feel things...

Not only do the Nokian's last (Blizzaks wear their snow tread quickly, then you drive on something with less traction until they wear out). .

Just put the Blizzaks on our four wheel drive sedan so we can drive from Carefree to Sidney BC and Seattle Boat Show. We get about 20K out of the Blizzaks BTW.

OK Ghost, what kind of car is it? Big hint, I'll not buy German again.

The volvo (a '71 142E) is a restoration of a nearly extinct and forgotten model that pretty much put Volvo on the map in the US.

I drove a 122 and a 142 but it was my 444 before that put Volvo on the map. A friend named Art Riley raced the P1800 on the East Coast and won a ton of trophies. Another friend still races 122s in the Chicago area.

A friend named Art Riley raced the P1800 on the East Coast and won a ton of trophies. Another friend still races 122s in the Chicago area.

The P1800 is the record holder for highest miles. I think he's at 3 million now.

That's right. 3M miles. The owner was the feature attraction at last years Volvo club meeting. The 444 and 120 series definitely paved the way in the US, but I believe the 140 series is what really jacked up their sales to be more than a fringe player. It's interesting to see how many
more 444s, 120s, and P1800s survive today compared to the 140s. My best guess is that the 140s were a practical car owned by practical people, and when the cost to repair exceeded their value, off they went to the crusher. The blog loosely referenced on the restoration of mine is at Volvo142e.com

That's right. 3M miles. The owner was the feature attraction at last years Volvo club meeting. The 444 and 120 series definitely paved the way in the US, but I believe the 140 series is what really jacked up their sales to be more than a fringe player. It's interesting to see how many
more 444s, 120s, and P1800s survive today compared to the 140s. My best guess is that the 140s were a practical car owned by practical people, and when the cost to repair exceeded their value, off they went to the crusher. The blog loosely referenced on the restoration of mine is at Volvo142e.com

I had a 122S that was built like a tank, ran like a Swiss watch, and with Pirrelli Centurato tires would do a great controlled drift. (I lived on a mountain). When my wife went from a Ford Country Squire wagon to a 145S she got 4 times the fuel mileage. Great cars.

When not pulling the boat, a 1989 Supercharged MR2:

DSC_0875.JPG

1998NewMoonFirstTow.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom