Winter Book Recommendations (non-fiction and not poltical)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hydraulicjump

Vessel Name
Off Leash
Vessel Make
Helmsman 38e
Since it is heading into the Great Dark--at least for our friends in northern latitudes--I thought I would recommend a couple of winter reads for Trawler Forum folks unable to spend time working on or cruising on their boats.

The first is a book handed to me by a boating friend and many of you have probably read it. It falls into the category of "bad plans poorly implemented". The title is Madhouse at the End of the Earth by Julian Sancton

https://a.co/d/02ZGV4k

There are so many heroic sea tales out there--think Shackleton's Antarctic efforts and the Jeanette Expedition to find the north pole--this choice is about the de Gerlache expedition to find the magnetic South Pole. No spoiler alerts here, but it is a study in incompetence and even madness that turns yet another explorer into a hero.

The book emphasizes the point about explorers, especially 19th Century explorers, who were touted as heroes by the press and various explorer clubs. In most cases--Shackleton the best example--the effort starts out with what can only be described as a lethal mix of hubris, ambition, and incompetence that leads to disaster. It is only in the efforts to mitigate the disaster and get home alive that these characters emerge as, and are ultimately celebrated as heroes.

You shake your head through all of this and similar stories. Natural selection should have wiped these folks out.

On a lighter note, I know that most of us with dreams of long range cruising would like to spend the next year or two skipping winter and going to all the South Pacific islands in our fantasy Nordhavn or Selene. Christina Thompson has written a very interesting book titled Sea People: the Puzzle of Polynesia:

https://a.co/d/5dHmCJs

This book is less about how Polynesia was colonized (there must have been some pretty epic sailing disasters in this effort) and more about the people, the cultures and the numerous explorers and scholars involved in piecing the story together. An enjoyable read and an antidote to the books recommended above.

Enjoy! I am sure many on this forum have already read these.

Let's hear other recommendations.

Jeff

Read anything about the Chicago River, especially in the early days, anything about the Mississippi even fiction based on fact "The Great Steamboat Race".

pete

I had put together a list of recommended books from boaters from another site which may be helpful to peruse.
I also just finished “Pirate Hunters” by Robert Kurson which was hard to put down and richly researched. Of course Joshua Slocum’s turn of the century story of his solo circumnavigation of the globe in a 36 ft sailboat is a timeless classic. Cheers.

Obviously each author may have more books and forum members will likely add more.

The Hungry Ocean- Linda Greenlaw
The Lobster Chronicles- Linda Greenlaw
All Fishermen are Liars- Linda Greenlaw
A Speck in the Sea- John Aldridge
Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea- Gary Kinder
Voyage for Madmen- Peter Nichols
Lost at Sea- Peter Dillon
Ten Hours Until Dawn- Michael Tougias
Dead Men Tapping- Heather Lynne II
The Shipping News- Farley Mowat
Grey Seas Under- Farley Mowat
The Serpents Coil-Farley Mowat
Beautiful Swimmers- William Warner
Away All Boats- John Cole
Boat Building Down East- Royal Lowell
Dead Wake- Erik Larson
In The Heart of the Sea- Nathaniel Philbrick
Into the Raging Sea- Rachel Slade
Endurance- Alfred Lansing
Neptune's Car- Paul Simpson
Until the Sea Shall Free Them- Robert Trump
Draggerman's Haul- Ellery Thompson
Distant Water- William Warner
The Incredible Voyage- Tristan Jones
Outward Leg- Tristan Jones
Saga of A Wayward Sailor- Tristan Jones
ICE!- Tristan Jones
Heart of Oak- Tristan Jones
The Improbable Voyage- Tristan Jones
Adrift- Tristan Jones
A Steady Trade- Tristan Jones
The Finest Hours- Michael Tougias
Shadow Divers- Robert Kurson
A Genius at His Trade- Stan Grayson
Monsoon- Wilbur Smith
Fatal Forecast- Michael Tougias
In Peril- Skip Strong
A Desperate Voyage- John Caldwell
Working on the Edge- Spike Walker
Nights of Ice- Spike Walker
Men's Lives- Peter Matthiessen
Giant Bluefin- Douglas Whynott
PT 105- Dick Keresey
The Bootlegger- Clive Cussler
The Half Drowned King- Linnea Hartsuyker
Far Tortuga- Peter Matthiessen
On the Bottom- Edward Ellesberg
Deer Island Boys- Mark Gabrielson
The Sailmakers Apprentice- Emiliano Marino
That Others Might Live- Martha LaGuardia- Kotite
The Outlaw Sea- William Langwieche
Sailing Alone Around the World- Joshua Slocum
Lone Voyager-Joseph E Garland

my contributions would be:

North to the Night by Alvah Simon. A couple sails their sailboat north, gets frozen in, the wife goes home and he stays with the boat. The book chronicles his struggle with cold, food shortage, plar bears and extreme extended isolation. It is very well written.

Until the Sea Shall Free Them This is a very detailed description of the events leading up to the sinking of the Marine Electric freighter.

South by Earnest Shackleton

While Shackleton is universally regarded as a hero today, this was not the case while he was alive. Churchill said: "Enough life and money has been spent on this sterile quest. The Pole has already been discovered. What is the use of another expedition?”
World War 1 was just starting when Shackleton embarked on his journey and some saw his expedition as a way of avoiding military service. Others saw it as depriving the military of qualified career officers. On multiple occaisons Shackleton offered his ship, men and services to the admiralty and was told to proceed, but not everyone was behind him.

I can recommend the 2 volume nonfiction memoir by Julie Bradley -- Escape from the Ordinary, and Crossing Pirate Waters. Not classic like the others above (great list!) but very enjoyable and relatable.

It is the tale of not-greatly-experienced boaters who buy a new Amel 54 sailboat and set off to circumnavigate the globe. The parts about crossing the Atlantic (vol 1) and pirate waters (vol 2) are especially memorable. The Admiral enjoyed both volumes, too!

If you plan to spend time on the Chesapeake,
"Chesapeake" by James Michener is a great read.

Also enjoyed "Alaska" by him.

Ted

On a lighter note, I know that most of us with dreams of long range cruising would like to spend the next year or two skipping winter and going to all the South Pacific islands in our fantasy Nordhavn or Selene. Christina Thompson has written a very interesting book titled Sea People: the Puzzle of Polynesia:

https://a.co/d/5dHmCJs

Jeff

Thanks, I've read of the Gerlach expedition, just got Sea People from my public library.

Let me "counter-suggest" The Far Lands, James Norman Hall's novel of the Polynesian long-voyagers and My Island Home Hall's delightful memoir of life in Tahiti after his service in the Foreign Legion in WW I.

I believe both are out of print, but there are a lot in circulation on the usual used book sites.

Several good books......also runs a charter service for those serious sailors who want experience with true heavy weather....before they actually have to confront it on their own...

https://johnkretschmersailing.com/books/

Will sound a little geekish. Around beginning February, I get out my service/maintenance manuals for review and refresh on the operations.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom