Winter Boating Photos/Stories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds cold. 40C+ predicted in western Sydney the sea breeze can`t reach;32C+ on the coast it can.
I see your swans are white. Ours are black. I suppose a "black swan event" here should be called a " white swan event".

Sounds cold. 40C+ predicted in western Sydney the sea breeze can`t reach;32C+ on the coast it can.
I see your swans are white. Ours are black. I suppose a "black swan event" here should be called a " white swan event".

Egad...I'll take below freezing to 40C any day!!!!!!!!

My parents came back from Australia with a dictionary (entertaining reading) and a map of the world with the south pole on top :D

Lots of Minchin's there I see, much more than Canada...no relation to Nick or Tim Minchin.

Last edited:
Egad...I'll take below freezing to 40C any day!!!!!!!!

My parents came back from Australia with a dictionary (entertaining reading) and a map of the world with the south pole on top :D

Lots of Minchin's there I see, much more than Canada...no relation to Nick or Tim Minchin.
Google says Nick and Tim Minchin are "distant cousins", I expect both would strongly deny it.
Now we`re getting a hot day late afternoon thunderstorm(aka " a southerly buster") which will help test a plumbing repair.Hit 34C here today.
Enough off topic,apologies.

Light winds yesterday and -1C so we went for a day romp into Kildala Arm. In a couple days it's forecasted to be -12C with 50 knot northerly outflow winds...think we'll not go boating for a while.

Badger hunkered into a corner and a photo of a steep slope with ground water icicles and cedar standing on their roots:

Attachments

• MXT23538.jpg
    MXT23538.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 26
  • MXT23577.jpg
    MXT23577.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 23
MM, How deep was the anchor and did you stern tie?
That is a great shot.

Thanks.

Not stern tied, just a quick drop and then we went exploring ashore.

Think we dropped in 60' and set the anchor uphill on the sloping bottom (towards shore) with 150' of line which had Badger in 28' of water with 10' left on a falling tide. There was no wind to speak of, so Badger barely wandered around, staying almost directly over the anchor most of the time.

The stern was pretty close to shore while setting, but it was pretty deep where the steep shore met the bottom...just had to make sure that with 10' of tide still to fall the swing radius wouldn't be scraping our swimstep against rock.

No place to anchor overnight!

It was the small bay just east of Gobeil Bay, for those that know the area.

(Long lens compresses space, making it look close than it is).

Last edited:
Light winds yesterday and -1C so we went for a day romp into Kildala Arm. In a couple days it's forecasted to be -12C with 50 knot northerly outflow winds...think we'll not go boating for a while.

Badger hunkered into a corner and a photo of a steep slope with ground water icicles and cedar standing on their roots:

Absolutely stunning. :Thanx:

Co-Captain and partner in crime:

Attachments

• MXT23535.jpg
    MXT23535.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 31
Nice Whaly!

Good eye :thumb:

We like ours a lot. Doesn't deflate when the temperature drops and could survive getting beaten up and chewed on by a Grizzly. Do you have one?

Good eye :thumb:

We like ours a lot. Doesn't deflate when the temperature drops and could survive getting beaten up and chewed on by a Grizzly. Do you have one?

Yep! A white 270. Best dinghy ever.

My only winter boating stories, are from the six years I lived in Annapolis, Maryland. Where every winter, I wondered, "Why the hell do I live somewhere that I can only boat half the year."

Now, I live in a 365 day boating environment, and I like it! :)

We get some cool weather, for a couple of months, (usually January and February) but not many people stop boating. There is even a Jimmy Buffett line, that fits here, "Sailing in those warm December breezes."

One of our traditions for many years here, was to take a sail around a nearby island, immediately after we ate Thanksgiving Dinner. We usually did it in shorts and tee shirts.

Last edited:
Yep! A white 270. Best dinghy ever.

When we ordered ours it had to carry me, my wife, or daughter, our camera gear, Darwin & Mabel the yorkies, and Zain, our 130lb pyrenees/lab cross so got the 310.

Now it's just my wife & I because our daughter is off at college, the yorkies started to puke in sloppy wave conditions so stay at home now, and Zain is retired from boating life at 13 years old because of weak back legs.

Maybe we should think about a 270...the 310 is hard to move when you decide to stop a hike early and the tide hasn't come back up to the dinghy yet :huh:

A Sitka Deer above the high tide line from last year...going through old photos:

Attachments

• MXT29455.jpg
    MXT29455.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 16
...There is even a Jimmy Buffett line, that fits here, "Sailing in those warm December breezes."...

Ours here would be anything over freezing, usually accompanied by rain. Bleak, but all part of the environment I love so much. My wife however, would probably love a boat with a hot tub on it!

A typically busy winters day in Douglas Channel from the marina parking lot, with waves of cloud rolling in off the open Pacific 130 Km miles away (80 miles) as the crow flies, through a complex of islands:

Attachments

• MXT28558.jpg
    MXT28558.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 13
MK Bay Marina entrance, Kitimat, BC, Canada:

Attachments

• MXT29101.jpg
    MXT29101.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 12
when we ordered ours it had to carry me, my wife, or daughter, our camera gear, darwin & mabel the yorkies, and zain, our 130lb pyrenees/lab cross so got the 310.

Now it's just my wife & i because our daughter is off at college, the yorkies started to puke in sloppy wave conditions so stay at home now, and zain is retired from boating life at 13 years old because of weak back legs.

Maybe we should think about a 270...the 310 is hard to move when you decide to stop a hike early and the tide hasn't come back up to the dinghy yet :huh:

??

Winter boating for a guy who had plenty of time in the NE, Arctic and Antarctic...... :D

Attachments

• patrick.jpg
    patrick.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 14

Attachments

• 20210208_145912.jpg
    20210208_145912.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210204_184648.jpg
    20210204_184648.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 12
Palm trees wouldn't do so well here...here's a clip from todays marine forecast:

Today Tonight and Wednesday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind northeasterly outflow 25 to 35 knots increasing to northeasterly outflow 35 to 45 this evening. Wind northeasterly outflow 35 to 45 Wednesday.

Currently -11C and dropping... :huh:

Attachments

• ee36004b2d31508af91c3c9990b4511f.png_640xrel.jpg
    ee36004b2d31508af91c3c9990b4511f.png_640xrel.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 10
This was our boating conditions as of about a week ago...

Attachments

• PXL_20210130_182659769.jpg
    PXL_20210130_182659769.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 12
This was our boating conditions as of about a week ago...

Egad, is that salt water? Our salt water doesn't freeze here, but if it's calm enough and there's a creek nearby, fresh water which rides on top of salt water will freeze.

*Edit* Quick google search says Rochester NY is on Lake Ontario...who knew?!!?

Last edited:
Egad, is that salt water? Our salt water doesn't freeze here, but if it's calm enough and there's a creek nearby, fresh water which rides on top of salt water will freeze.

*Edit* Quick google search says Rochester NY is on Lake Ontario...who knew?!!?

Yeah, it's fresh water. And not frozen all that thick I think. I certainly wouldn't walk on the river or the marina basin, as it was liquid until our last cold snap. Some of the local bays are frozen enough for ice fishing though.

Some of these pix of snowed-in boats make me wonder what in the world the owner was thinking when leaving their vessel exposed to these extremes.

I hung a bubbler yesterday. First time this winter.20210207_152158.jpeg

Todays scene, close to shore. Our slip is towards the outside and has never seen ice since we've owned Badger.

Attachments

• MXE17860.jpg
    MXE17860.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 14
Back
Top Bottom