Winter boating life in North Carolina?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you are moored here during the winter, you will receive a tax bill from both the city and county where your marina is; the marina will report it as of January 1.

So when we were in New Bern, we got bills from both Craven County and the City of New Bern. When in Morehead City both they and Carteret County billed us. Both the latter were noticeably less than both the former. In each case, I will tell you they are unrelenting in pursuing.

Oriental is a pretty central spot for inland cruising in NC. You can get to Beaufort, Washington, Bath, Edenton, Ocracoke all in a day and all have free or low cost docks available. There are at least a hundred nice anchorages in between.

It doesn't have the civilization of New Bern in terms of shopping, but I bet it has as many nice bars and restaurants. But when we lived there after we found Amazon I never went in to New Bern for anything other than a Dr's appointment.

David

Oriental has about a half dozen eating/drinking places? In New Bern easy walk from marinas, off the top of my head, there are at least 19 that I know of. Plus a decent farmers market. Oriental has its charms and more convenient location but NB has a bit more variety.

Don't forget Washington nc. Perfect for what you're looking for. I keep my boat in the water all year long.small heater may help once in a while. I keep my boat at Washington yacht and country club where everything is supplied. Our dockmaster takes care of boats if needed. Included is power, golf course, swimming pool, tennis courts , club house with restaurant. Expensive?.. $300.00 a month!!!
Close to ocracoke , belhaven, oriental and more. We have it pretty nice here.

Check out www.towndock.net for great info about Oriental. Minimal winterization needed, folks out and about, and on Jan 1 you can participate in the "Instead of Football Regatta".

We more or less split our time between Charlotte dirt home and Charleston water home year round. Normal times when traveling for both work well for airport access. Heck, two weeks ago we were in shorts all weekend.

Loving this feedback. Again, thanks to everyone for contributing their stories and experiences.

Interesting point about the taxes. One of RI's advantages is no sales or property tax on boats. Had not thought about the issue of tax on a boat that may be in NC for as much as 6mos conceivably.

There are no sales taxes on resale boats in NC, but there are property taxes. These property taxes are based on the marina notifying the state of boats that are berthed there on January 1st which determines property tax liability.

If you buy your boat out of state, federally document it, and store it at a slip in back of your home or at a private slip there is little way the state will ever know about it. Or if you do not have it registered at a marina on January 1st they won't ever know about it either. Tough to do in your situation where you want to live on board for the winter months.

Property taxes have quite a bit of variability as the state has obtuse ways of valuing your boat. I have paid less than 1% of the market value in property taxes when I lived there.

David

1% of MV could really add up on a $400-500k boat considering it's zero here in RI. Definitely something to consider.

There are no sales taxes on resale boats in NC, but there are property taxes. These property taxes are based on the marina notifying the state of boats that are berthed there on January 1st which determines property tax liability.

If you buy your boat out of state, federally document it, and store it at a slip in back of your home or at a private slip there is little way the state will ever know about it. Or if you do not have it registered at a marina on January 1st they won't ever know about it either. Tough to do in your situation where you want to live on board for the winter months.

Property taxes have quite a bit of variability as the state has obtuse ways of valuing your boat. I have paid less than 1% of the market value in property taxes when I lived there.

David

Whether or not the state knows, you are under a legal obligation to file and pay property taxes in NC if it regularly is there.

1% of MV could really add up on a $400-500k boat considering it's zero here in RI. Definitely something to consider.

Well, it's nowhere close to 1% in NC. A $400k boat in Craven County would be $219.76. That is .055% so about 5/100 of 1%. Each county varies but none are 1%.

NC now, for the last several years, requires you to state register your documented boat. You display a sticker instead of putting the big letters and numbers on the hull. You can run, but you can't hide. Property tax is county and city, not state by the way. And in the bigger scheme of things, very nominal.

Well, it's nowhere close to 1% in NC. A $400k boat in Craven County would be $219.76. That is .055% so about 5/100 of 1%. Each county varies but none are 1%.

Was just referencing DavidM's post where he said he paid "less than 1%". Obviously this is something I'd nail down before doing but .055 is WAY less than 1%.

Also find it odd that they just use "slipped boats on Jan 1" as the reference for tax liability. What if I'm moving a boat south and just leave it in NC over the Holidays and go to move it further south after new year? I owe property tax on to NC? Don't want this to descend into a post on taxes but still seems curious.

Was just referencing DavidM's post where he said he paid "less than 1%". Obviously this is something I'd nail down before doing but .055 is WAY less than 1%.

Also find it odd that they just use "slipped boats on Jan 1" as the reference for tax liability. What if I'm moving a boat south and just leave it in NC over the Holidays and go to move it further south after new year? I owe property tax on to NC? Don't want this to descend into a post on taxes but still seems curious.

Where it is slipped and when is just a matter of convenience and expediency. However, if you have a boat in NC, you must file a property tax form with the county including the boat information. This is done in January. You're not excluded just because you were cruising at that time as it's home is still in the NC county.

Now to your issue of a transient for a short period of time. They may be taxed but likely can appeal successfully if they were only in NC for 2 weeks of the year or so. Better to notify the tax authorities in advance that if you check on Jan 2 you'll see my boat but I'm only passing through, arriving on 12/25 and leaving on 1/7 and the marina can vouch for me. We've been through that in California.

What are other slip costs people have had in the Wilmington area.
Reading this thread is great, exactly what my plan has been starting 2021 fall.

Wilmington is possibly going to be over twice what the areas mentioned lately in the thread are. the closest I have considered to Wilmington is Carolina beach . it is 450 a month for a 45' and you have to sign a year lease . not in down town ether .also Beaufort and Morehead are also higher than the others inland. I'm just a poor boy so I tend to stay inland.

ok the rest of you have me wandering about taxes my boat lives in Pamlico county but is in craven county(adjoining) from Christmas last year till April. I would like to keep paying Pamlico county taxes .my slip is there and they need it more . how do I convey this to the tax office ?

What are other slip costs people have had in the Wilmington area.
Reading this thread is great, exactly what my plan has been starting 2021 fall.

Wilmington Marine Center is $12 to $15 per foot per month. Bennett Brothers is $10 to $13. I don't have current prices on Port City or Sawmill.

Back
Top Bottom