Old 07-24-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
Scraping Paint

City: -
Window on the water

After completing a fairly major sanitation plumbing project on the boat that took the last two weekends my wife and I were leaving the marina yesterday evening to drive home when I caught a glimpse of this boat in the big Seaview North yard next door. My first thought was that the yard had cut the hull to remove the fuel tanks, a process favored by some. Never having seen this we turned around and went back for a look.

Turned out it wasn't a hull opening to remove tanks, but a window. The same window was on the other side, too. So we drove back into the yard where I took these shots in the rain and failing light. Just the ticket for your Nordic Tug or Krogen or Willard or CHB or ...... It'll give you a whole new perspective on cruising.
Attached Thumbnails
Window 1.jpg   Window 2.jpg   Window 3.jpg  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:05 AM   #2
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I have noticed the trend the last several years where larger yacht makers have been installing larger windows in the side hulls. I'm sure they are attractive inside, but outside they look mud fence ugly.

I know, eye of the beholder and all but really?

Rebedding would definitely be moved higher up the priority list.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:58 AM   #3
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
I too have noticed that trend. I was looking at a boat in Shilshole that hed a large window that was at about the same level as the floating dock. The two things that would concern me: (1) how strong is the window in rough seas? and (2) what happens when you hit a dock corner or piling? Most I have seen are awfully close to the waterline.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:16 AM   #4
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
obviously the "designers" and owners of that floatabago don't believe in murphys' law. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night!
Sailor of Fortune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:37 AM   #5
FF
Guru

Some folks have boats to "be on the water" that means actually seeing the water at close to water level.

AS the boats become accommodation beach balls to create max volume , some owners don't like looking down on the water from 30 -40 ft up.

The side windows are the result , structurally not a problem , if well built.

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:00 AM   #6
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
I assume it's OK to critique boats none of us own . . .

Wonder what the "portholes" on either side are for--to make it look "shippy"? (a fail IMHO, as they just make it look more bug-like). Or are they magnifiers? Two of these rafted together must make for some awkward moments if the curtains aren't pulled. I'm all for more light below decks, but the designers were outside the box with this solution.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:19 AM   #7
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
I'm sure they are attractive inside, but outside they look mud fence ugly.

Very attractive inside.
Attached Thumbnails
VIEW.jpg  
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:34 AM   #8
Guru

I went on a powercat at the Ft. Lauderdale Trawlerfest a few yrs back that had these albeit on the inner facing hulls. The effect was very nice, plus they'd double as escape hatches if it flipped! (or so said the salesman)
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:45 AM   #9
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
To me, that looks unattractive and unsafe. Damage to the window could sink the boat in rough seas.

I'll stick with a more traditional design where the windows are much higher and better protected.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:54 AM   #10
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
They have windows in submersibles...pretty arrogant to think the designer didn't make the window just as or stronger than the hull.

Don't like the looks? Well neither do I but that doesn't make the boat unsafe.

Plus...do you ever see boats like this out in rough seas? Remember most boaters aren't cruisers.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #11
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Have life jackets-check.
Have dinghy ready to go in an instant-check.
Have EPIRB-check.
Have full charged floating water proof handheld VHF radio ready to go in the dinghy-check.

Anyone wanna add to the oh $h!T list?

Not me.Thanks, but no thanks.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #12
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
obviously the "designers" and owners of that floatabago don't believe in murphys' law. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night!

Floatabago.
Now that is funny.

Did you coin that and may I use it?

Sd
Old 07-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #13
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
I assume it's OK to critique boats none of us own . . .

Wonder what the "portholes" on either side are for--to make it look "shippy"?
I dunno--- I don't see anything wrong with critiquing boat that we do own....

Perhaps the portholes open to let fresh air into the compartment behind the windows? Don't care for the design with the portholes--- it's what led me to initially believe they'd cut the hull---- but it may be functional in some way.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #14
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Guess it's cause I spent my formative years on submarines, but I abhor any thru-hull, bolt hole or port hole; above or below the boot stripe; that is not absolutely necessary. I watched in amazement as the bulk of the sportfishers in my marina (a few years back) rushed to cut series of coffee can size holes to accommodate underwater lights. 'Course, I don't know anyone who has lost a boat that way. But, I don't think I'd sleep well with that picture window.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:52 PM   #15
Guru

City: Georgia
These seem to be the new trend on european sports yachts, Ferretti and such. Probably not designed for serious offshsore boating, but to look pretty while dockside.

For me, why would I want to sit IN the boat looking out when I have the fly bridge, boat deck, forward deck, aft deck, etc to be able to sit OUT and see, at times 365 degrees of my surroundings.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #16
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbu22 View Post
Guess it's cause I spent my formative years on submarines, but I abhor any thru-hull, bolt hole or port hole ,,,
I did the same, diesel boats to deep diving manned submersibles and have absolutely no problem with through hulls, ports, or any other hull penetration. Maintaining what you have is the key. A poorly maintained bicycle is more likely to kill you than a hull fitting.

Many of our large yachts have clear plastic covers on the sea chests ... you can look at fish from the engine room.

Here are some of the deep diving subs: The one with the big viewport is good to 1200 feet, I have been over a mile down in the one with the 3 ports.
Attached Thumbnails
PVUW.jpg   AQU.jpg   DEEPTRIALS.jpg  
Old 07-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #17
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Probably not designed for serious offshsore boating, but to look pretty while dockside.
A lot of boats that routinely do Atlantic crossings have windows large than those.

Quote:
... why would I want to sit IN the boat looking out when I have the fly bridge, boat deck, forward deck, aft deck, etc to be able to sit OUT and see, at times 365 degrees of my surroundings.
To get away from the heat and humidity, the wind and noise, to lie in bed and watch the world go by early in the morning at anchorage, to watch the sun come up before you do, the list goes on ...
Old 07-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #18
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
A lot of boats that routinely do Atlantic crossings have windows large than those.

To get away from the heat and humidity, the wind and noise, to lie in bed and watch the world go by early in the morning at anchorage, to watch the sun come up before you do, the list goes on ...
Then why not take this to its logical conclusion and make the entire hull out of glass?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #19
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
It would have been nice to incorporate some style with the window. Long and wavy or something. Cool concept, illbiet and old concept but cool nun the less. I would imagine with more composites and technologie on the horizon Ron might get his wish.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #20
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
The windows can be engineered to be strong enough. So can walk out doors to the transom area. The real problem comes when they are left open. It has happened.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote