Window leaks- how big is the repair? Pre Purchase issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"My 1976 Bluewater Trawler (Taiwan built) has wood framed windows that were leaking into the plywood cabin sides."

The windows on most TT are similar.

They mostly rely on sealants to stay water tight , and every few years its a huge PIA to pull them out to renew the sealant .Same as with deck penetrations.

This is as common as needing to add fuel to the tank after using the boat.

Why should it effect the selling price , unless the windows were already upgraded?

FF,

I think it tends to affect the selling price when owners don't keep up with it and the problem evolves from leak windows to stained interiors, to curling and peeling interiors, to rotted out plywood and, in some parts of the country, subsequent termite damage.
If that plywood gets bad -- there is nothing for the window to seal to. And, there is only so far epoxy goes until the wood needs replaced.

In other words, if every few years one owner or another decided it was leaking again and starting to make a mess so they dried it out, filled any rot, and resealed it, the situation is probably a little bit of ugly and a little bit of softness -- just like most of the rest. And, as you suggest, priced into any reasonably priced trawler of that kind. As is, maybe, one window or so that is much worse than the rest and needs some more extensive repair. Pretty common, exactly as you suggest, I think.

But, if no one has kept up with it, the boat was in an area with frequent soakings, and maybe even termites -- it sure does affect the selling price. I'd seen some owners who tried to cover up huge amounts of window rot with Formica or veneers. Maybe for themselves. Maybe to sell. But, it doesn't work -- and just gets worse.

I saw some boats that I really liked. One nice Eagle Trawler I remember being sad about having been let that far go. Someone had Formica'ed over it all. But, it was sooo soft when tapped. I'd have had to rebuild the whole house, it seemed. Just wasn't worth it to me. Or other buyers, I suspect. I think the final buyer likely ended up getting a good discount as compare to an average sale of a similar boat. I hope they fixed it -- but they probably just bought it as a cheap boat, will used it however they do for as long as they do, and maybe someone else fixed it, or maybe it is the beginning of the end for that boat.

Just my thoughts.

-Greg

I agree with you. Wood rot grows even after the leak has been fixed. It has to be removed and replaced. I replaced the entire back 3 feet of my upper deck, framing and fibreglass. Better than new. Originally the flying bridge was fitted into a slot that ran around the front and sides of the upper deck and sealed...I don’t think it ever was water tight right from new! I repaired and sealed it with epoxy. I am proud to say you won’t find a single leak on my boat...or any rot!

A mistake I've seen many times. People buy a boat and don't take into account, or vastly underestimate, the total cost of ownership when setting their budget.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom