I wanted roll up curtain shades, but I wanted them to remain under tension when unrolled. I used standard paper tubes for vinyl blinds. I glued the centrifugal keepers down so they don't stop tube from rolling back up.
Used crazy glue. Then I oiled the bearing. The glue step is kind of a pain to get enough instant glue in there and also keep it out from the rotating bearing. Keep it moving-rolling if you get too much so i does not harden the bearing.
I put a ss screw #4-40 by 1/2" drilled , tapped, threaded into the steel end to lock to spring cam so I could wind it up with some tension and also when taking them down to lock to roll spring. The springs all wind up clockwise. You can even use a variable speed drill to load up the spring.
I used the heavy duty shade brackets from HDepot. For the far right starboard bracket, I had to rebend the angles to mirror the other way for it to properly mount the shade.
For the material I used polyester tablecloth from Walmart. It is lightweight and lets in light but blocks full sunlight. The goal was not to darken but to lessen the greenhouse effect from these windows. Cut and sewed in a hem all 4 sides. One on starboard side I made a wider 1.5 inch side hem. I was wondering if a wider hem would help it roll up straighter.
I drew a straight parallel line on the tube.
I used blue painters tape to secure the cloth to the roll.
I used 1/2 inch poplar dowels to pull them down and brass screw hooks into the dowel to hold down the shades. They hook into brass eyes screwed into the lower window frame.
All the wood and paper tubes I coated with minwax polyurethane.
These worked out really nicely for me.
All 3 wiper motors sit behind the curtains. The 2 motors on the outer windows, the roll up is stopped by the motor. The center window, the roll up is stopped by 2 mahogany 3/4 inch short dowels. I had to create 2 center mahogany brackets to hold the blind brackets.
The 2 outer shades are reversed roll, the center is standard roll. roll being the material position in or out on the tube as it rolls. Fit better to reverse roll to clear the window motors on the outer windows.
Link to lot more pics
I had the old vinyl blinds. My cost was material about $12, and 3 sets of brackets about $4, so under $20 for these. The material at Walmart has a nice looking pattern. It is standard polyester tablecloth. I bought the 60 by 102" size.