Windlass Fuse Size on Grand Banks 32

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grandbanksbayfield

Vessel Name
Solvogn
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 32
I have an 87 GB32. It has a (I believe) Lofrens horizontal windlass - smooth on left side and chain on right side Pulled out the fuse at the windlass and found it to be about 1/2 inch plus in diameter and 2.5 inches long. Does anyone happen to know what amperage this fuse is? I want to buy a spare and get the right one.

I have an 87 GB32. It has a (I believe) Lofrens horizontal windlass - smooth on left side and chain on right side Pulled out the fuse at the windlass and found it to be about 1/2 inch plus in diameter and 2.5 inches long. Does anyone happen to know what amperage this fuse is? I want to buy a spare and get the right one.
You'll need to figure out the model of the windlass to determine the wattage. Divide by 12 to get amps.

That said, I'd bet a small amount of money that a 150 amp breaker is the right size.

Peter

Is there any markings on the fuse?

150a sounds reasonable. I wouldn't go bigger than that without further research.
I have a Lofrens Tigress and use a 125a breaker.

125 Sounds good

Is there any markings on the fuse?

150a sounds reasonable. I wouldn't go bigger than that without further research.
I have a Lofrens Tigress and use a 125a breaker.

No markings on fuse, but that sounds okay. I do not want to melt down the system.

Grand Banks fuse

Does the fuse look like what can be seen in the photos below? If so, that is a shore power fuse. The photos are of a 1992 GB 32, we have had 3 other Grand Banks boats and they all had this exact fuse holder for the shore power (fore and aft) and all 4 have a breaker at the helm area for the windlass. I have in the past replaced those fuses as a precaution but I cannot remember the rating. I recall that it was printed on the side of the fuse. Good luck!
Regards,
Scott

Attachments

• aft shorepower small.jpg
    aft shorepower small.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 13
  • forward shorepower small.jpg
    forward shorepower small.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 14
Perhaps check the cable size supplying the anchor winch. Shouldn’t the fuse protect the supply cable?

Wow, what a range of answers.
I would start at the current rating of the piece of equipment that you are protecting, cable run included. I would not just replace what was there. We all know PO's that are not very technical and always go bigger with a fuse to "be safe". Safety is in protecting the circuit and your boat from a fire. What if the 3 PO's always went 5 amps higher each time they replaced a burnt fuse. ?
When a fuse blows, something went wrong and should be investigated.
I also would not rely on the cable size to establish the over current protection.

Perhaps check the cable size supplying the anchor winch. Shouldn’t the fuse protect the supply cable?

Yes. It should be sized to protect the cable, although in some cases the cable will be oversized for the current draw to reduce voltage drop. In that case, size the fuse to protect the windlass motor, as it'll also be small enough to protect the cable.

Back
Top Bottom